Got the D47

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, they are Schaller Mini tuners, which would be standard on a mid-'80s model.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Well that ends that debate!

Since we're talkin' D-46's...

100_6422.jpg

100_6424.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good Lord that D47 is ugly. You know, in a beautiful Guild sort of way. :emmersed:

It's the pickguard! Not sure what the deal is with the pickguard as I've seen them with and without them. If I were to venture a guess, it seems like the pickguard might have been shipped loose for Owner installation. I peeled the pickguard off of my DS-48. I would also peel it off that D-47!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Both of those D-46's are beautiful looking guitars (GAD & Grot). I really like the figure in the two piece, slab-cut back on those guitars. Congratulations on the new purchase GAD. I look forward to the "official" review .

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's the pickguard! Not sure what the deal is with the pickguard as I've seen them with and without them. If I were to venture a guess, it seems like the pickguard might have been shipped loose for Owner installation. I peeled the pickguard off of my DS-48. I would also peel it off that D-47!

The whole thing just looks odd to me from the shape to the cutaway to the oval sound hole. The pick guard just seals the deal.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice symmetrical bookmatching though. Congrats, GAD!

Thanks! It's really kind of a minor quibble because I LOVE the way this guitar sounds. I've been playing it all evening and my fingers hurt so I'm going to bed. :biggrin-new:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, that's my life tonight. I was playing and singing and having a good time but apparently new amplification doesn't make me a better player, NOR a singer!!! Imagine that?? Such a great guitar!! I hope you're gonna keep it.... if not I'm almost sorry for my "No More Dreads" policy..... jeeeze!! :encouragement::encouragement:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, that's my life tonight. I was playing and singing and having a good time but apparently new amplification doesn't make me a better player, NOR a singer!!! Imagine that?? Such a great guitar!! I hope you're gonna keep it.... if not I'm almost sorry for my "No More Dreads" policy..... jeeeze!! :encouragement::encouragement:

I know I said I was going to bed, but the Internet sucked me in.

I don't know that I could part with this one. It's so freaking cool. This next week will have some exciting additions, so we'll see what happens. I'd probably offer it to my daughter, though. She might not like the dread size, but I think she would love the neck. Couldn't hurt to set her up with a proper Guild before college. :emmersed:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD and Grot:
You two are causing me some conflict. I have been saving my sheckels for a D40 so I would have a GUILD with the three major tonewoods and here you two come along with pictures and praises of the D46 and got me to thinking "Ash" may not be a major tonewood but it is different and rarer. If I were to run across a nice D46, my will power might have a lapse. Those are two beautiful guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fender has used ash for electric guitars going back to the '50s. Some very iconic guitars were made of ash: https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/ash-vs-alder-whats-the-diff/ I imagine the sharp attack and unique midrange is more desirable in an electric guitar than it is in an acoustic for most people.

It appears to be much less common on acoustics, though. Here's a Martin D16A which the page says is the only ash guitar they made: https://shop.gryphonstrings.com/products/1988-guitar-steel-string-acoustic--martin-d16a-47352

I can only assume that it's not used more because the tone in an acoustic is a bit non-traditional, bing a snappier, brighter, and clearer than most other acoustics I've played. That non-traditional tone is what appeals to me and it's also why I love my Koa Taylor. I should note that my Taylor and the D46 have spruce tops.

Ash is commonly used for hockey sticks, snow shoes, axe handles, and baseball bats because it bends and turns well, but tone isn't really a consideration there. :subdued:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Somehow I missed this yesterday, but that pickguard thing got me wondering, is it possible that in fact your DS48 is finished with poly?
I remember a new member asking about finish for an FS46 (?) a while back, and I assured him Westerly was all nitro all the time, when lo and behold Hans came in and corrected me that in fact that particular model had been finished in poly.
Think it was due to the solid-body nature of the instrument not being benefited by NCL acoustically, but anyway it always stuck with me, because it was the first time.
SO I'm thinking perhaps the 'guard was installed over the finish (because Westerly typically finished over the guard), and was therefore easily lost.
There was a new member recently who reported the 'guard was easily removed from his satin-finished D4, tending to confirm another new member's certainty that his D4's satin finish was actually poly as well.
Hans did say once that they did "experiment" (I forget the precise wording) with poly in Westerly but that model I mentioned is the only specific confirmation I remember, so maybe we're seeing evidence of its use on models previously thought to only have used NCL? (By me, anyway)
Food for thought?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Fender has used ash for electric guitars going back to the '50s. Some very iconic guitars were made of ash: https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/ash-vs-alder-whats-the-diff/
"I knew that"
:biggrin-new:
... and baseball bats because it bends and turns well, but tone isn't really a consideration there. :subdued:

What, you've never been hyped up by the "thwock" of an out-of-the-field homer being hit on a sunny spring afternoon?
Even if you didn't see it you know what just happened....
:glee:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Somehow I missed this yesterday, but that pickguard thing got me wondering, is it possible that in fact your DS48 is finished with poly?
I remember a new member asking about finish for an FS46 (?) a while back, and I assured him Westerly was all nitro all the time, when lo and behold Hans came in and corrected me that in fact that particular model had been finished in poly.
Think it was due to the solid-body nature of the instrument not being benefited by NCL acoustically, but anyway it always stuck with me, because it was the first time.
SO I'm thinking perhaps the 'guard was installed over the finish (because Westerly typically finished over the guard), and was therefore easily lost.
There was a new member recently who reported the 'guard was easily removed from his satin-finished D4, tending to confirm another new member's certainty that his D4's satin finish was actually poly as well.
Hans did say once that they did "experiment" (I forget the precise wording) with poly in Westerly but that model I mentioned is the only specific confirmation I remember, so maybe we're seeing evidence of its use on models previously thought to only have used NCL? (By me, anyway)
Food for thought?

Could be! I'll have to give it a lick!