which acoustic smaller body with cutaway to choose?

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
since I'm more a leccie guy, I'd like to know which accoustic with cutaway would be the best to choose?
I love my D-46 but it has no cutaway and I'd like a more comfortable smaller bodysize for this one plus I don't need a huge acoustic volume.
my first suggestion would be an F-65CE but maybe you know more.

here is what I want:

- smaller body
- cutaway for being able to do solos
- pickup/transducer
- good even sound (not boomy)

I don't need:

- huge acoustic volume
- huge size and weight

so to speak a workhorse for a leccie to play acoustic life with a singer (maybe band) and pa.

what would you recommend?

thanks in advance.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know it's not a small body Michael, but my New Hartford F50ce Standard is just amazing plugged or unplugged, and it does have a cutaway. Hard to find, but so worth it when you do!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ty guys whats the body depth in mm of these models please?
HI Michael apologies don't have precise conversion tool, but the F30 was I think about 4-3/4" deep or a little over 12mm.
The F65ce which coincidentally checks all your boxes was only 3-1/2" deep or a little over 9mm.
Like Chris said that F30Rce was the smallest cutaway a/e body Guild ever made (that I know of) but there are many "F40 sized" (16" lower bout F body) cutaway A/E variants;

Virtually all of Guild's "Fxxce" models are based on that, drop to the bottom-most right hand section here, "Grand auditorium"
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars.html
NOW what you can start considering is the available variety of body woods, scale length, nut width, and arched or flat back.
Also not that for the F65ce at least, the scale length was changed from 24-3/4 with a 1-11/16 nut to 25-5/8 with a 1-5/8 nut sometime (later) in '94, and that they didn't get the dual transducer(UST AND soundhole mic) until I think '96. With that preamp you got a notch filter.
F47ce's also offered the best variety of back/side woods, "standard" is 'hog but "rce" and "mce' are rosewood and maple respectively.
F47's were normally under 5" deep but the late Westerly versions were real close.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
try an F-20 with 11s and a pickup! no cutaway but this really feels like an electric with that smaller body. or else a Songbird

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
H4-3/4" deep or a little over 12mm.
The F65ce which coincidentally checks all your boxes was only 3-1/2" deep or a little over 9mm.

Hello

Nice try Al - multiply by 10 and it is fine - so - 120mm & 90mm - or 12cm & 9 cm

For KRYSH - try find a used Songbird or something else from - http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars.html - Acoustic Electrics part - as long you leave the Prestige Excellence to me - Danke Voraus

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the help and suggestion, but im afraid a cutaway is a must. It looks a f-65ce still would be the right choice. The songbird would amplified not sound much different to my cr-01, so it wouldnt be my choice.

And nuuska you can have the prestige, gern geschehen. 😉

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Michael, you're already there. The F-65CE is want you want. With the bound neck it plays just like a solidbody electric. Do you have a scale requirement?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help and suggestion, but im afraid a cutaway is a must. It looks a f-65ce still would be the right choice. The songbird would amplified not sound much different to my cr-01, so it wouldnt be my choice.
And nuuska you can have the prestige, gern geschehen. ��

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're gravitating towards F65ce vs same-era F47m- or rce which also had the Fishman Blender system?
Is it just the shallow depth?
Or that they're flat-back only?
I'm really curious to try out the deeper bodied F47ce for better acoustic volume but I wish I could get one with a short scale.

Hello
Nice try Al - multiply by 10 and it is fine - so - 120mm & 90mm - or 12cm & 9 cm

But...but... the ruler says "MM" right on it....!
:glee:
(yeah I did goof that one up didn't I, LOL!)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm really curious to try out the deeper bodied F47ce for better acoustic volume but I wish I could get one with a short scale.

AL, I think the deeper body gives the F47 more tone akin to a dread but not necessarily more volume at least from my experience. :)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Michael, I'm gonna throw a non-Guild out there for you to consider because since my purchase, I'm enthralled with my Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue!!! Smaller concert size, sitka top, myrtlewood back and sides made in Bend, Oregon, USA. They make all different styles and colors and they make a super nice cutaway that gives you easy access to the upper frets. I've rarely played such a balanced guitar. Comes with LR Baggs EAS VTC pickup installed. Sounds amazing both unplugged and plugged in. They go for around $2K. Now if you wanted to save some money, they have their overseas guitars at a greatly reduced price and they sound great as well.

Follow the link and see if you like what you see: https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/oregon-concert-cutaway

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And in that same vein as "more akin to a dread" there's the Breedlove Concerto...... they designed it to compete with a dread in sound but with smaller size and it does that I think. You have to realize Myrtlewood is a much HARDER wood than Sitka or Adirondack so they can actually make it thinner and more responsive without sacrificing strength or stability. If you want to hear what they do..... look here: https://youtu.be/mJXDgWjm1j0

And if you can actually lay your hands on one.... you'll be impressed I think. But if not, I've been wrong before......

p.s. - I'm not sure why there's not a myrtlewood cutaway in the concerto or ANY other size. I'll call Amanda or whatever her name is that works there. She's super nice and she knows stuff. With companies like Breedlove they're kinda amazing. Lemme look at some custom options.... oh Michael..... you've started some trouble here!!! LMAO!!! :smiley_simmons:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And in that same vein as "more akin to a dread" there's the Breedlove Concerto...... they designed it to compete with a dread in sound but with smaller size and it does that I think. You have to realize Myrtlewood is a much HARDER wood than Sitka or Adirondack so they can actually make it thinner and more responsive without sacrificing strength or stability. If you want to hear what they do..... look here: https://youtu.be/mJXDgWjm1j0

And if you can actually lay your hands on one.... you'll be impressed I think. But if not, I've been wrong before......

I don't doubt your advice but the other wives might gang up on it if I marry outside the tribe.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Michael, you're already there. The F-65CE is want you want. With the bound neck it plays just like a solidbody electric. Do you have a scale requirement?
thanks kurt and no, no scale requirements.
now if I could only find one for a moderate price preferably in amber. :courage: