Which Brings Me to the Question of the 'Big 3'

Sal

Reaction score
If you want to be a rebel, an outlaw, and play "alternative" music ... you play a Guild.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you want to be a rebel, an outlaw, and play "alternative" music ... you play a Guild.

Or a "Trigger":
willienelson4.jpg

(Actually we've seen evidence he did play Guild w-a-a--ay back when)
:glee:

Sal

Reaction score
Or a "Trigger"
(Actually we've seen evidence he did play Guild w-a-a--ay back when)

In this Rolling Stone interview about how Willie found Trigger he mentions the Guild at 1:44 "I'd been playing this Guild…"

Sal

Reaction score
Touche!
Were you the guy who posted that originally?

No, it wasn't me. Funny thing, I just saw this video the other day and I was wondering if it ever had been posted here. And I agree with you, Willie playing Trigger is just as outlaw as it gets!

Last edited:

docfishr

Reaction score
If you want an objective assessment, cannot do it.

If you want subjective, got it.

An old fart's perspective so colored with that brush.
I started playing in 1965 when Gibson and Martin were at the top and a lot of the interest grew out of the popularity of folk music. But the first really good guitsr I bought was a used Guild.
Over the years I have owned a lot of the commercial brands and a few custom built guitars. And after all these years here I am with 4 Guilds and nothing else. They're built well. They look great and they sound great.
Imagine......... back to Guild after 53 years!
How does that happen?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No, it wasn't me. Funny thing, I just saw this video the other day and I was wondering if it ever had been posted here. And I agree with you, Willie playing Trigger is just as outlaw as it gets!
Notorious outlaw Peter Tork played a Guild too.
Right on TV even:
petergibsonmicky_orig.jpg

Oh yeah, and a JS Bass, too:
5dfa78975a1c19927f6258a2b32e1a1e--peter-tork-the-monkees.jpg

7912323_orig.jpg

Oh, boy newly discovered uber-rare photo never seen here before:

994c053ee4b924a3b674a449fbec6570--peter-tork-peter-otoole.jpg

I do believe that's an FS46ce.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh yeah, and a JS Bass, too:

I see a nit. I am going to pick it. The pictured bass is a JetStar. Guild never called it a JS.

The post 1970 solid body double cutaway bass was usually cataloged as a JS bass. However Guild sometimes referred to it as JetStar.

So JS only refers to one body shape, available ~1970-77. JetStar refers to the Gumby shape from the mid-60's or, to the confusion of all, the JS.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I see a nit. I am going to pick it. The pictured bass is a JetStar. Guild never called it a JS.

The post 1970 solid body double cutaway bass was usually cataloged as a JS bass. However Guild sometimes referred to it as JetStar.
So JS only refers to one body shape, available ~1970-77. JetStar refers to the Gumby shape from the mid-60's or, to the confusion of all, the JS
I was wondering if you were going to see that. I actually originally called it a JetStar but then remembered your previous mention of that nomenclature (obviously incorrectly) so changed it to "JS".
Thanks!
That one got screen time too in at least one episode, but couldn't find a pic, even though that's what I started off looking for.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And after all these years here I am with 4 Guilds and nothing else. They're built well. They look great and they sound great.
Imagine......... back to Guild after 53 years!
How does that happen?
Karma.
And just because Stuball848's post got buried, I'll ask for him again:
"What four Guilds are they?"