If You Could Only Have .....

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I will be honest on this.
I was drawn to Guild back in the 70's by John Denver.
I lusted for an F-512 but settled on a D-212.
It was not the guitar that I really wanted and I eventually sold it.
After I sold the Guild I got my Martin D-35. That was in 1981.

A lot of guitars have come and gone sense the D-212, including an F-30-12 Guild and an F-50R.
I finally got a Guild that I have bonded with.
It's my D-55 that I have now owner for about 6 years.

Of all the guitars that have passed through my hands over the years, my Martin D-35 is still the one.
It is the guitar that will stay with me if and when all the others are gone.
The Guild D-55 is a close second.

jedzep

Reaction score
Considering that the original premise is to choose one I can afford, and that I have put the act of buying a guitar ahead of many life essentials, it's probably safe to say I can't afford a guitar, period. That said, I spent a lot of angst ridden time searching for 'rescues' to try and slither into the world of great vintage acoustics. So the top three of the lowest cost all hog guitars I can't afford but have bought are; '59 Guild M20, '57 Martin 017, '31 Gibson L0. The Gibson edges out a win, mostly due to it's superior flat picking percussive qualities. Don't have the finger picking thing down, so I can't speak to that.

tommym

Reaction score
I can still afford to throw some serious coin at some very expensive guitars, but will no longer be doing so. I feel a need / a want to move on with my life....:biggrin-new:

Of all my expensive Martins, Taylor 12 strings, Froggy Bottoms, etc., it's my Guild F30R Standard that (for comfort reasons) has become my go-to guitar. I've been culling my herd of guitars with the intent of knocking it down to one or two guitars, with the Guild F30R Standard being one of the guitars to remain with me. If I lost all of my guitars and had to start from scratch, I would look for a Taylor 812ce (an OM sized guitar) and call it day with a single guitar. It offers everything my Guild F30R Standard has to offer and then some, and adds an easy to reset neck. I no longer feel a need or want for exotic woods, nitrocellulose lacquer, hot hide glue, dovetail neck joints, fancy inlays, etc.. as none of that has made me a better guitar player. Thus the Taylor 812ce as my choice for my start from scratch guitar.

Tommy

tefan

Reaction score
East of Pittsburgh (as opposed to East of Eden)
It would be Guild F-30R. I had a GAD-30RE that I never should have let go. I have played several F-30s that I really liked. The F-30R has the sound that speaks to me; it's comfortable, easy to play, beautiful (especially in sunburst). Has it all (for me).

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For more than 30 years, that WAS my Guild D-35...

Tico

Reaction score
No brainer.

I'll keep the Guild D-55 I bought new in 1977.