Guild Archtops with 25.5 scale?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The 53-56 New York made guitars were 25.5 scale, and IIRC some late 50's (made in Hoboken) guitars were too - though that was not standard. There are some custom order X175's and X500's out there with an Artist award neck, I imagine those would have the longer scale too. There was a very short-lived model made for Paladins front man Dave Gonzalez, the X550P, and that's a long scale fifties X550 repro with two P90's and a Bigsby, but only a handful of those were made.
Apart from those guitars, I don't think you'll find long scale electric Guild archtops.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GAD, the one in the clip you linked to is 24 3/4" scale - they were a production model for a while, and still rare. The extremely short-lived X550P was long scale, LTG-er Jeff Haddad has one.

Forgot all about the X500T though...the NH limited edition ones.. Thinline hollowbodies with two Duncan P90's and the long scale. 25 made?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The New Hartford made GSR X500D full depth 17" Hollowbody has the long 25.625" scale length as well. :victorious: One day soon I will get around to posting some photos of something along those lines, LOL. Like mentioned earlier I think the GSR New Hartford T500 and GSR T400 thin line models had the same long scale as well with the T500 having Duncan P90's in it.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, the one in the clip you linked to is 24 3/4" scale - they were a production model for a while, and still rare. The extremely short-lived X550P was long scale, LTG-er Jeff Haddad has one.

Forgot all about the X500T though...the NH limited edition ones.. Thinline hollowbodies with two Duncan P90's and the long scale. 25 made?

Right you are. It says 500T right on the video page and I was looking for 550T! I got sucked in by the Paladin name. I shouldn't post when I'm tired.

matsickma

Reaction score
The early X350's and X375's had the longer scale. I think any made in the early '60"s had the short scale.
Hans is the expert to confirm when they changed to the short scale.
M

Byrd

Reaction score
X-700 Long Scale

Interestingly, I have just acquired one. It is a 1999 X-700 LS (LS for Long Scale) and was made to order by the Guild Custom Shop. I will post some pics soon.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
Interestingly, I have just acquired one. It is a 1999 X-700 LS (LS for Long Scale) and was made to order by the Guild Custom Shop. I will post some pics soon.

very interesting. do you know who made it?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They don’t have a P90, but I believe the later Artist Awards are 25-1/2” scale.

Byrd

Reaction score
X-700 ls

very interesting. do you know who made it?
The label is not signed and I don't have any paperwork. I have checked with Hans - all I know is that it was made in 1999 and sent directly to Europe (Country not known). I bought it from a semi=pro player in the UK who said he was the original owner and has had it from new. I have no reason to doubt him.

What is interesting is that it has the slightly longer Benedetto scale.

I am struggling to find a way to post some pics. Any advice anyone!!

parker_knoll

Reaction score
The label is not signed and I don't have any paperwork. I have checked with Hans - all I know is that it was made in 1999 and sent directly to Europe (Country not known). I bought it from a semi=pro player in the UK who said he was the original owner and has had it from new. I have no reason to doubt him.

What is interesting is that it has the slightly longer Benedetto scale.

I am struggling to find a way to post some pics. Any advice anyone!!

Would be interested to know who the customer was, being based in the UK, I might have heard of them

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I have just acquired one. It is a 1999 X-700 LS (LS for Long Scale) and was made to order by the Guild Custom Shop.

I have checked with Hans - all I know is that it was made in 1999 and sent directly to Europe (Country not known). I bought it from a semi=pro player in the UK who said he was the original owner and has had it from new.

Would be interested to know who the customer was, being based in the UK, I might have heard of them

Hello Byrd,

Even though you may have bought it from the original owner, I don't think he ordered it in that configuration; it was not made to order.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Byrd

Reaction score
Hans, that's really helpful. Thank you. because when I asked him why he wanted the longer scale he said he just bought it like that! It actually has the Benedetto scale of 25 9/16" It is perfectly intonated - its not a 25.5"

Made in 1999, might the Custom Shop have been playing around with ideas or prototyping the Benedetto?

What else can you tell me about my guitar, please?

Byrd