What did you Replace your Fender HB-1 pickups with?

DThomasC

Reaction score
TV Jones T-Armonds are probably an alternative to the staples. Likely a little less money, but still expensive. I think TVJ sells humbucker size mounting rings that will take their pickups in the English Mount.

But, to be honest, I think the GFS Surf 90's are amazing and at $35 each, they're like 1/5th the price of the T-Armonds. The bast value in big Alnico-poled single coils by far.

Reaction score
Just bought a 1983 CE-100D with the larger HB-1's, they sound bright and clear (airey), far better than the Fender HB1 (dull, not much clarity or highs) in my 2004 Starfire III. I am going to replace the Fender pickups with Seymour Duncan, a 59 in the neck and a JB for the bridge per the way Fender was outfitting the guitars it was producing before they started making their own. I'll probably soldier the covers from the Fender pickups on just to retain the proper look. I don't understand using the Gretsch pickups in a Guild as they don't look the part but they may be close in sound and provide an alternative. However, the Seymours are the answer IMHO. Enjoy.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I am seriously considering Seymour Duncans but would prefer the lowest output available and then the question of wax potted or not.

Reaction score
Try the Seth Lovers, they sound great in my GSR Starfire VI and are a little lower output than HB-1's in my 73 Starfire.
Thanks john

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just bought a 1983 CE-100D with the larger HB-1's, they sound bright and clear (airey), far better than the Fender HB1 (dull, not much clarity or highs) in my 2004 Starfire III. I am going to replace the Fender pickups with Seymour Duncan, a 59 in the neck and a JB for the bridge per the way Fender was outfitting the guitars it was producing before they started making their own. I'll probably soldier the covers from the Fender pickups on just to retain the proper look. I don't understand using the Gretsch pickups in a Guild as they don't look the part but they may be close in sound and provide an alternative. However, the Seymours are the answer IMHO. Enjoy.

The covers might not fit. When I had mine rewound, he tried to just put standard bobbins in the Guild cover but he couldn't and had to literally rewind what was in there. That's second-hand hearsay, so take it for what it's worth, but just thought I'd share.

GAD

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I don't understand using the Gretsch pickups in a Guild as they don't look the part but they may be close in sound and provide an alternative.

TV Jones makes his Filter'tron-style pickups optionally available in a standard HB housing, so they look "normal" apart from having screws in both coils. I have a Classic/Classic Plus set waiting around for the right guitar.

Edit: The above was already covered earlier in this thread. Ooops, forgot about that! But I'll leave it in anyway. :)

-Dave-

Last edited:

BOBBYC

Reaction score
I got a set in my latest addition, the 2000 X170 Natural. I'm going to keep them. I usually play my archtops neck pickup only tone set to zero. The Fenders sound good to me.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I've known Wolfe Macleod at Wolfetone since the '90s and can vouch for his products, as well as his ability to help you choose the right pickups for your sound/instrument. I've also talked pickups with James at Re-Wind on several occasions and found him super friendly, knowledgeable and similarly thoughtful in terms of brainstorming, etc. Below is a demo video I made for a contest a while back where Re-Wind was giving away free stuff. Half of it is demoing the stock PRS pickups in my '89 Standard (and discussing why I don't like them), but the other half is me demoing my wife's SG with Wolfetone Marshallhead MKIIs in it, which are sort of a '60s Gibson PAT No. sound. Please excuse the careless playing, lol:

http://www.wolfetone.com/

http://www.re-wind.net/Buckers.html

Reaction score
After reading much criticism of the Fender HB-1s, I was ready to replace the pickups soon after I received my 2003 Starfire IV but I found I actually like the tone of the stock pickups.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
When i had my i think 2001 x-175t i always disliked the little high mid nose the fenderbuckers have while playing. but when i listen to some recordings today, it had a pretty nice tone.