What did you Replace your Fender HB-1 pickups with?

Mark WW

Reaction score
I like my Corona built SFIII. I love the neck and the Bigsby and the Red color I just go back and forth about the Fender pups. They don't sound as bad as the first Corona SF III I had but I contemplate having them replaced and was wondering what some of ya'll might have done. I know GAD had a set custom wound but the last time I had a set of pups custom made I was not happy with the outcome so would rather not go that route again.

Appreciate any experiences you can share.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I went a different route with mine and instead of replacing with Humbuckers I replaced the Fender pickups with Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staples which are single coils in a humbucker mount. They are the perfect mix to me of an Early Dearmond Single coil and a nice set of Vintage P90's in tone to me. The Great things about the Fender pickups is the rings are interchangeable with standard humbucker rings you can get pretty much anywhere so you don't have to drill the extra hole in your originals. That way you can save your originals if you decide to reinstall them and sell it at a later date. Here are a few pics.

VoYLJT.jpg
LjVo9v.jpg

TX

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Are the Fender-era HB1's really that poor compared to previous models? What is it that folks don't like about them?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a set of Phat Staples for my X-170T. The Fender HBs are alright, just low on character. Option #1 right now is a set of gold Maxon U1000s (aka "Super '70s") I bought last year. They may be too bright for this particular guitar, but I think the hollow body should clarify their midrange response. (AlNiCo 8 magnets plus ~8.5KOhm wiring give 'em Tele-like treble and thick mids at the same time.)

-Dave-

dbirchett

Reaction score
Are the Fender-era HB1's really that poor compared to previous models? What is it that folks don't like about them?

The Fender HB-1 is a fairly nondescript generic Gibson Humbucking clone. Better than some, not as good as many. Did is sound bad? No, and some people like them. But those familiar with other Guild pickups frequently find the Fender HB-1 to be nothing special, unlike the Guild HB-1 or even the SD-1.

I replaced the ones in my Starfire V with TV Jones Power'trons in a Humbucking mount.
ft-bridge-chrome-hb-400w_7_orig.png

Think of them as a PAF meets a Filtertron. They are a bit Brighter than a typical PAF style, with more clarity and note separation. They aren't going anywhere.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
The Fender HB-1 is a fairly nondescript generic Gibson Humbucking clone. Better than some, not as good as many. Did is sound bad? No, and some people like them. But those familiar with other Guild pickups frequently find the Fender HB-1 to be nothing special, unlike the Guild HB-1 or even the SD-1.

I replaced the ones in my Starfire V with TV Jones Power'trons in a Humbucking mount.
ft-bridge-chrome-hb-400w_7_orig.png

Think of them as a PAF meets a Filtertron. They are a bit Brighter than a typical PAF style, with more clarity and note separation. They aren't going anywhere.
Good to know. You'd say the TVJ's are closer to the Guild HB1 than the Fenders?

dbirchett

Reaction score
I would hesitatingly say so. Only because I do not have enough experience with the Guild HB-1s. But to my ears these have the qualities that I hear described in HB-1s as well as the Best of the PAFs. They are more clear than the FHBs. They are a bit brighter but not a lot. They do maintain a lot of string to string definition -- the notes don't merge together as much as hotter PAFs. Gretsch people describe these pickups as hot but they are probably the only ones that do. Compared to most HBs these would be slightly underpowered for the bridge and very underpowered for the neck. That translates to the qualities of clarity and definition. Since those are qualities of the Guild HB-1 viz a viz Gibson style HBs then, yes, these are much closer to the Guild HB-1 than the FHB. I would suggest that you read the pickup sections of GAD's reviews of a 2000 Starfire IV http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/02/02/2000-guild-starfire-iv-4/ and a 1999 Guild X-170T (Mars Music) http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/07/30/guild-x-170-t-mars-edition/ if you haven't already done so.

Zelja

Reaction score
I agree with dbirchett regarding the TV Jones. Aside from the original HB-1s they are my favorite humbuckers. Not quite the same but in the ballpark. For a semihollow I actually preferred the Classic Plus in the bridge to the Powertron (more chime & clarity) but love the Powertron in a LP guitar I have. Only caveat is I don't think the standard Classic in the neck combines that well with the Classic Plus in the bridge when both PUs are on (middle position). Based on specs I think the Powertron neck would suit the Classic Plus bridge better.

The staple style pickups are intriguing and would be probably be great if you are not looking for a a humbucker. As QS says they would probably suit the SFIII really well.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
I like the comparisons to TV Jones; I own a pair of Classics, Classic Plus, and Supertron so I'm familiar with what they do. Being new to Guild, I haven't personally experienced the original HB's so such comparisons are useful to me.
Thanks folks. :cool:

Mark WW

Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestions and sharing of ya'll's experiences. I have read GAD's site/blog quite a few times. What I am about to say sounds vane but the Filtertron (TVJ) style pups in a Starfire III just don't look right to me. I get the fact that ya'll like their sonic qualities. I own a 6120n with HS Filtertrons and I do like that guitar. Aesthetically I am hoping for something that has somewhat of a similar look to the FHB-1. I only paid $800 for the guitar and spending $300 plus for pups just isn 't in the cards for me. ​I do like a lower output pup for clarity and definition though.

My only experience with replacing pups is with a custom winder (that was not a win) and quite a few GFS pups - Surf90, Dream90, Mean90, Classic 59's, Memphis and Liverpools. The Seymour Duncan's sound interesting if I could find some used ones.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I put TV Jones pickups in my X170t and like them a lot. I even like the way they look, but then I like Gretches, too. I do really wish I could mount some vintage HB1s in there, but that probably means routing the guitar and I'm not a fan of that. I didn't have any gold HB1s at the time to try, though.

Guild-X170T-TVJones.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fancy Tex!!! Very cool!

Thanks Walter, The Phat Staples are my Favorite pickups out there right now. I currently have a Full Hollow project in the works that will hopefully utilize the same pickups.

My only experience with replacing pups is with a custom winder (that was not a win) and quite a few GFS pups - Surf90, Dream90, Mean90, Classic 59's, Memphis and Liverpools. The Seymour Duncan's sound interesting if I could find some used ones.

I have a set of the GFS Hot Nashville Retro Trons in a Herb Ellis Aria Pro II PE-175 and they are Awesome! I also had a set of the same in a 2000 SFIII and loved the tone out of that as well. Nice and thick yet still chimey.

TX

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestions and sharing of ya'll's experiences. I have read GAD's site/blog quite a few times. What I am about to say sounds vane but the Filtertron (TVJ) style pups in a Starfire III just don't look right to me. I get the fact that ya'll like their sonic qualities. I own a 6120n with HS Filtertrons and I do like that guitar. Aesthetically I am hoping for something that has somewhat of a similar look to the FHB-1. I only paid $800 for the guitar and spending $300 plus for pups just isn 't in the cards for me. ​I do like a lower output pup for clarity and definition though.

Here's the thing with TV Jones's pickups. You can get them in whatever format you like. You saw the humbucking format that I used for my Starfire V. You saw the filter'tron format that GAD used. Don't like those? How about a DeArmond style?
ft-neck-chrome-da-400w_2_orig.png

Soapbar?
ftb-chrome-sb-black-400w_7_orig.png

Dogear? That may be more difficult but give Tom a call and see if you can work something out.

Just suggestions to give you more options.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
TV Jones does his Filtertron style pu's in a standard humbucker cover/size that would probably drop in. However, they are probably at least as much money (probably more $$) than a pair of Duncan Seth Lovers. I'm a big Filtertron fan, but in a humbucker Guild, I'd go with the SD Seth Lovers.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It also REALLY depends on the guitar and its purpose. For comping jazz chords I'm not sure the Fenders would offend me much. For Rockabilly in an X170T I'll take the TV Jones. For Rock, the Seth Lovers are great, as are most Jim Wagner pickups. Do you want jangle? Growl? PAFish tones? It just depends.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
It also REALLY depends on the guitar and its purpose. For comping jazz chords I'm not sure the Fenders would offend me much.

This is probably why the Fender HBs sound better (though hardly great) to me than I expected. When I pick up my X-170T my hands get the jazzy urge. :) The pickups have enough clarity to handle that okay.

-Dave-

swiveltung

Reaction score
I went a different route with mine and instead of replacing with Humbuckers I replaced the Fender pickups with Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staples which are single coils in a humbucker mount. They are the perfect mix to me of an Early Dearmond Single coil and a nice set of Vintage P90's in tone to me. The Great things about the Fender pickups is the rings are interchangeable with standard humbucker rings you can get pretty much anywhere so you don't have to drill the extra hole in your originals. That way you can save your originals if you decide to reinstall them and sell it at a later date. Here are a few pics.

TX

I may have to try those if they are really P90 SC -ish! Not seen them. I just cant bond with most HB's. Was thinking of trying a Gretsch pickup but... hmmm
OUCH! just checked the price!

Last edited: