F-50R Sound Changes Over The Years

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I was listening to some old John Denver music the other day and realized that today's F-50R sounds a lot different.
What I noticed was how quickly the tone/sustain dropped of on John's guitar.
The F-50R Guilds that I have owned or played are 1990 or newer and they have a lot more sustain.

Now that I think about it, the same applies to the D-55 that The Smothers Brothers used.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My thoughts on this is John Denver and the Smothers Brothers said, "I want this look but I want this sound." Not an off the rack Guild for either but made to the specs for each.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was listening to some old John Denver music the other day and realized that today's F-50R sounds a lot different.
What I noticed was how quickly the tone/sustain dropped of on John's guitar.
The F-50R Guilds that I have owned or played are 1990 or newer and they have a lot more sustain.

Now that I think about it, the same applies to the D-55 that The Smothers Brothers used.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Hello

So you think that what you hear on recording is a faithful reproduction of original F50R sound ???

That is what many have tried over decades - on any guitar - William Ackerman was apologizing on his record sleeves for not being able to catch the sound.

In studio work sound gets processed in many ways - choosing the mic - choosing the placement and position - perhaps using dynamic processor & EQ - and so on - those were basic tools in JD time - and they gave a myriad of alternatives.

Then there is naturally the not least thing - who plays that instrument ...

Final outcome is the result of choices made in process involving issues with taste and opinions. And also arrangement of whole musical piece - sometimes it is good to tweak an instrument a bit off to make it blend better wit others. And while we do this, we are not talking about HiFi, but producing.

And let´s not forget the minor fact, that any acoustic guitar sounds way different to the player than to someone in front . near or far.

My F50R does not sound like JD - I have some of his albums from over 40 years ago - and we never sounded quite the same.

Different pick - touch - approach - and so on . . .

A bit like this

img_2878.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nuuska:
You would have been a great educator. Your explainations were excellent but your pictures are, forever, memorable!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello

So you think that what you hear on recording is a faithful reproduction of original F50R sound ???

That is what many have tried over decades - on any guitar - William Ackerman was apologizing on his record sleeves for not being able to catch the sound.

In studio work sound gets processed in many ways - choosing the mic - choosing the placement and position - perhaps using dynamic processor & EQ - and so on - those were basic tools in JD time - and they gave a myriad of alternatives.

Then there is naturally the not least thing - who plays that instrument ...

Final outcome is the result of choices made in process involving issues with taste and opinions. And also arrangement of whole musical piece - sometimes it is good to tweak an instrument a bit off to make it blend better wit others. And while we do this, we are not talking about HiFi, but producing.

And let´s not forget the minor fact, that any acoustic guitar sounds way different to the player than to someone in front . near or far.

My F50R does not sound like JD - I have some of his albums from over 40 years ago - and we never sounded quite the same.

Different pick - touch - approach - and so on . . .

A bit like this

img_2878.jpg

Hey how the heck did you get my home recording photo ? I posted that on Facebook and I don’t recall us being friends ! Lol

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
RAYK - are u saying we no friends? Does your horse still have his head attached? HUH

Do ya have a horse anyway?

Maybe we just better off being friends :watermelon::watermelon::watermelon:

Is that you without motorcycle helmet ? At home ?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
or this:

Nebraska is the sixth studio album by Bruce Springsteen. The album was released on September 30, 1982, by Columbia Records.

Sparsely recorded on a 4-track cassette tape Portastudio 144, the songs on Nebraska were originally intended as demos of songs to be recorded with the E Street Band.[4] However, Springsteen ultimately decided to release the demos himself. Nebraska remains one of the most highly regarded albums in his catalog.[5]