66 Guild T-50 w/Thunder1-12 amp

Reaction score
Trying to get a value on these. I picked them up 15 or so years ago...never learned to play and now thinking I might want to sell them. The T-50 is in very good shape with original case. The amp is mint with the original cover and even has the tags still on it. Being a new member I cant post pics, but I'll forward them if someone else is willing to post them for me.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, wilco! Both the guitar and the amp look to be in great condition - especially the amp - very clean! Even the cover looks new!

Good luck with the sale!

walrus

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Wilco,
Very nice gear. For someone who is looking for exactly those models you may get a premium price. In general the amp with cover will bring $350 to $500 and the guitar with case $700 to $1000.
You might consider a package deal to give the collector a crack at the set. At the least you should try to sell them at the same time in a one or a pair of auctions.
Some of my estimates may appear low and that is because the amp is the least popular Thunder1 because it has a 10 inch speaker and it does not have reverb. The guitar is in great shape. They came in three different pickup types over the years. The pickup on your guitar doesn't takeaway the value but if it had a vintage Franz pickup it would command a higher asking price.

M

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the power tubes for that amp are also discontinued, with no reissues currently in production. Vintage tubes can get expensive, and in the case of this amp u would need a matched pair (still resulting in no reverb...) the amp looks mint and likely does not need tubes to be replaced, that was not really my point though.

i'd put it up for sale, if you are not using it. may take a while for someone to bite. it is super clean, someone will buy that at a reasonable price, but it could take a while. i'd even see what Guitar Center would pay. I would do that sooner than later if it were me.

the guitar is a gem! the 68-burst! and those pickups sound great. where are u located geographically? i'm sure someone here would scoop that up

F312

Reaction score
What kind of tubes are in this amp, I have a s-load of vintage stock.

Ralph

F312

Reaction score
No got, rare but they’re out there.

Ralph

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
6GW8, also known as ECL86. Very nice sounding valve containing an output pentode and a pre-amp triode. The pentode similar to a lower power EL84 and the triode is the same as half an ECC83. Used a lot in radios and low power amps. Unfortunately they were introduced in 1962 and didn't really get that well established before transistors took away most of their market, otherwise they would probably still be in production.
I used to use a Rogers Cadet (budget British Hi-Fi stereo amp) which used four in the power amp. The pre-amp used ECC807s, which pretty much suffered the same fate. Sounded way better than it should of. Still got it somewhere, but it got replaced when I designed and built something better!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
they are definitely out there. the Guild Maverick and Thunderstar both use (1) 6GW8 as the reverb tube. so I have personally purchased some NOS. those amps crush the Thunder 1 though, and the Thinder 1 needs a matched set as the power source.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I may have found a local buyer. If things fall through I'll most likely post them up here for sale.