More on the Gibson front.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh my, that's very nice.

Looks like one that should belong to Richard!

yes, my thought exactly! 3...2...1...till his NGD then?
of course the shop totally butchered Ren's first name LOL Ron...

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The bigger question for me was, how could Henry be so short-sighted or cheap as to let Ren leave Gibson in 2012?

The short answer is that Ren's public statements can be distilled to mean "the only thing HJ could have done to keep me around would have been for him to quit". There are plenty of videos, interviews and other opinions on LTG if you want to search ;-)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Wood, did you play it? I sure would like to hear what you would say about it. Sure looks good in the pics. Gosh dang it.

Ralph

Hey Ralph. Not yet. Got my oldest’s birthday weekend too (she turns 13), so got not time till next weekend to go check it out. 😀

I wonder if it is one of Ren’s last efforts at Gibson too.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The short answer is that Ren's public statements can be distilled to mean "the only thing HJ could have done to keep me around would have been for him to quit". There are plenty of videos, interviews and other opinions on LTG if you want to search ;-)

When I talked to him at LTG 3, that's the exact impression I got. I think they were often at loggerheads.

Grassdog

Reaction score

Which begs the question how/why did Ren work for Gibson (with Henry in charge) for all of 25 years before he left? Gibson bought Flatiron in '86 or '87 and Ren left in 2012. Seems there must have been some give and take in that relationship along the way or Ren wouldn't have stayed that long. Maybe it worked when Ren has a fair amount of authority/control in setting up production in Bozeman, Bozeman was remote location and Ren didn't have to deal with Henry on a day to day basis.