Ibanez V-302 vs Guild F-512 and the ongoing struggle to justify.

beecee

Reaction score
I was busy restringing my new 412 and 512 over the weekend. What gorgeous instruments. I really feel as they are without a doubt the most incredible instruments I've owned. Fit, finish, some very tasteful bling great nut width easy to play. And then I looked over to my Ibanez V-302. Bought new around 1982+/-. I had an extra set of strings so I tore it apart, cleaned it up and gave it the love I used to lavish on it in the early 80's to mid 2000's. I think the "best cheap guitar" thread got me feeling a little guilty.

Had a little issue with the G string tuner which was loose and little pieces of either plastic or hardened oils fell out of the enclosed tuner. (Pictures tonight).

Ok, I've been ignoring it for at least 5 years...maybe MUCH longer.

So she's in tune, all 11 strings. Played a big fat G chord closer to the fret board than middle of the sound hole. Whoa?

I ended up playing that guitar for over an hour, save for a few times to retune as the strings firmed up.

I know these guitars aren't supposed to get better with age theoretically but man this guitar is impressive. I could not believe how easy it was to play. I looked at the strings I replaced and yup, they were cables, probably mediums. The extralight set really made it a breeze to play.

Looking at her a lot differently than I ever did. Saddle is a little low, although I've never touched it. I have to assume it is a cruddy plastic saddle, maybe it shrunk.

Certainly merits some investigation and perhaps a trip to a somewhat local luthier to check over.

Must be the 30+ years of bonding, similar to the Madeira, but it sure sounds awful good to me.

Frankly, I'm second guessing the need for these uber dollar 12's.

Don't play out anymore, don't play all that well, (never have but the world needs ditch diggers and rhythm players), sure I can find better things to do with my money, (donate one to Rayk?)

Ugh.

What the heck is wrong with me!!!!!

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BC,

That's great that you're putting some TLC into your old Ibby. As you know, I've a soft spot for those guitars myself. :)

The Ibby V-302 must be a monster if it can hold its own against the big Guilds. I'm not sure if I've ever played that model, but my all-solid Series I Artwood AW-75 is as fine a mahogany dread as I've found out there, including a variety of old Martin 12ers. As to whether or not they improve with age, BC, I think that's all debatable, but I don't doubt that you're loving what you're hearing!

Anyway, I've never played another 12 that's anything like my Guild F-512. If it's not rockin' your socks off, then it may indeed not be worth holding on to! You could buy several old Ibanez axes for the price of one F-512 or -412, and that's an embarrassment of riches! Best of luck in your hunt!

Reaction score
I just found the 12-string mate to my '79 Ibanez M-340, a 1980 M-342TV ... it should arrive on Thursday and will be a lovely, cheap alternative to my F-212