GAD's Guild Knowledge Base

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think I would start by questioning whether the catalog is really a '66. I know, for example, of a 1970 catalog that touts the Starfire humbuckers as "new" but is illustrated by a bass with two Bisonics. It's on my list to scan for GAD :)

I also recall Ralf/SFIV1967 mentioning a while back that gig bags were offered in mid-"70's "IIRC" (or at least some time in the '70's?), it stuck because I didn't realize they'd ever offered 'em.
Or that gig bags were even made back then..

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder if the reference to a bass antihum pickup was referring to the use of the small Hagstrom pickup occasionally seen paired up with the larger Bisonic Hagstrom pickup. I had assumed the smaller bridge bridge pickup was a single coil but maybe its a humbucker.
M

Possible. I think the small Hagstrom was a humbucker but I have no recollection of ever seeing it pictured in a catalog nor in any bass prior to 1970.

That said, since my first response I have looked at a few catalog scans that I am 99.44% sure predate 1970 and they too refer to an 'anti-hum' pickup. One might be '67 since it refers to a newly available Starfire II. So mellow is on to something. I note that the Hagstrom (usually) had two magnets and one coil. Perhaps that was 'anti-hum'? The 70's Guild Humbuckers (our words) were in one catalog as "New Guild Anti-Hum".

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I also recall Ralf/SFIV1967 mentioning a while back that gig bags were offered in mid-"70's "IIRC" (or at least some time in the '70's?), it stuck because I didn't realize they'd ever offered 'em.
Or that gig bags were even made back then..

Starfire bass gig bags were rare but I am pretty sure we have seen a couple that are dated prior to 1970. They are a "small print" option in a couple catalogs I believe are pre-1970.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Possible. I think the small Hagstrom was a humbucker but I have no recollection of ever seeing it pictured in a catalog nor in any bass prior to 1970.

That said, since my first response I have looked at a few catalog scans that I am 99.44% sure predate 1970 and they too refer to an 'anti-hum' pickup. One might be '67 since it refers to a newly available Starfire II. So mellow is on to something. I note that the Hagstrom (usually) had two magnets and one coil. Perhaps that was 'anti-hum'? The 70's Guild Humbuckers (our words) were in one catalog as "New Guild Anti-Hum".

Hmmm two magnets unfortunately would not make it anti-hum. A second coil would be required... at least a dummy coil (RWRP coil of wire, sans-magnet), but I'm positive Guild wasn't doing the dummy-coil dance before Alembic, who I feel like may have invented the concept?

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmmm two magnets unfortunately would not make it anti-hum. A second coil would be required... at least a dummy coil (RWRP coil of wire, sans-magnet), but I'm positive Guild wasn't doing the dummy-coil dance before Alembic, who I feel like may have invented the concept?

My hypothesis only makes sense if "anti-hum" in the 1960's meant something different from "anti-hum" or "humbucker" in 2018. Specifically if anyone at Guild or Hagstrom thought the pickup was more "hum resistant" than the competition would they have signified that by the term "anti-hum" in a catalog and in advertising?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just added links to all my reviews so they're now searchable in the Knowledge base.