GAD's Guild Knowledge Base

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD's Guild Knowledge Base is now a thing!

http://www.gad.net/Blog/guild-catalogs-price-lists/ if you like to know the URL. It's also on gadsguilds.com, too. I'll likely add a link to my sig.

It will continue to be updated roughly whenever I feel like it, and as I scan the larger catalogs and such that are not yet there.

In the course of my document searching, I realized that I also had some cool amp manuals and schematics, so those are up there now, too.

The entire thing is searchable, but unfortunately you can't search within documents, so there's a bit of a limitation that if you search for "nightbird" that you won't find much even though there are catalogs that contain Nightbirds. Still, being able to look at impossible-to-find catalogs that have Nightbirds in them is better than we had before, so it's progress.

I'm going to add all of the reviews I have to the knowledge base, but that's sort of klunky due to software limitations. It will, however, let you match the reviews when searching which I think will be kind of a big deal.

Any feedback is welcome.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great! Would you like submissions? I have a packet of schematics of the later 60s amps. What format?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great! Would you like submissions? I have a packet of schematics of the later 60s amps. What format?

Sure! Whatever format they're in is fine. If they're PDFs and they're sideways I generally convert them, but otherwise it's cool just to have the information available.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
OUTSTANDING! Just getting delightfully lost in the 1980 acoustic guitar cat...
GAD, you are amazing! Thanks for putting this together!

dbirchett

Reaction score
What about reviews of Guild Guitars from Guitar Player and the like? Or does that raise copyright issues that you don't want to deal with?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The entire thing is searchable, but unfortunately you can't search within documents,

At least a decade ago I approximated that by running a PDF through an OCR scanner, cleaning up the results by comparison to a dictionary and word list and then using Lucene to manage the index and search. There was some fuzzy matching involved as well - I think on the user search data but it may have been when deciding whether a string from the OCR was kept because it matched or thrown out because it didn't.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Very cool! I think I have a few Guild pamphlets from the early 70's that I'd be happy to contribute when I find them

VEER ALERT: Interestingly the 1966 catalog says that the Starfire bass has an anti-hum pickup and comes with a padded professional gig bag... I know Guild were known for occasional quirky deviations from their formulas, but the one pictured has a single-coil bisonic and I am near 100% certain that they never had any humbucking bass pickups in before 1970. The only exceptions to the Bisonic I've seen from 1966 were other single coils (the mickey-mouse one and the variant with the square pole pieces). The mention of a gig-bag makes me wonder too. I seem to have a hazy memory of Guild-branded brown leather gig bag popping up on ebay some years ago, but I've never heard any stories of a new Guild Starfire coming with one instead of a hardshell case...
Wonder if there are other catalog discrepancies in regard to 6-string counterparts? Admittedly, I don't know enough Guild history outside of the bass realm to comment on that

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool! I think I have a few Guild pamphlets from the early 70's that I'd be happy to contribute when I find them

VEER ALERT: Interestingly the 1966 catalog says that the Starfire bass has an anti-hum pickup and comes with a padded professional gig bag... I know Guild were known for occasional quirky deviations from their formulas, but the one pictured has a single-coil bisonic and I am near 100% certain that they never had any humbucking bass pickups in before 1970. The only exceptions to the Bisonic I've seen from 1966 were other single coils (the mickey-mouse one and the variant with the square pole pieces). The mention of a gig-bag makes me wonder too. I seem to have a hazy memory of Guild-branded brown leather gig bag popping up on ebay some years ago, but I've never heard any stories of a new Guild Starfire coming with one instead of a hardshell case...
Wonder if there are other catalog discrepancies in regard to 6-string counterparts? Admittedly, I don't know enough Guild history outside of the bass realm to comment on that

I think I would start by questioning whether the catalog is really a '66. I know, for example, of a 1970 catalog that touts the Starfire humbuckers as "new" but is illustrated by a bass with two Bisonics. It's on my list to scan for GAD :)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I would start by questioning whether the catalog is really a '66. I know, for example, of a 1970 catalog that touts the Starfire humbuckers as "new" but is illustrated by a bass with two Bisonics. It's on my list to scan for GAD :)

Yeah - dating some of the catalogs is tough and one more reason why Hans is our hero.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least a decade ago I approximated that by running a PDF through an OCR scanner, cleaning up the results by comparison to a dictionary and word list and then using Lucene to manage the index and search. There was some fuzzy matching involved as well - I think on the user search data but it may have been when deciding whether a string from the OCR was kept because it matched or thrown out because it didn't.

That seems like real work. :tongue-new:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Would you like me to scan all these for you?

Price%20List%20033-X_zpsadaqp3y6.jpg

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, not!

(But seriously, if you'd like to borrow my literature binder and scan the whole thing, you're welcome to it!)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Damn, Grot!

One of these days I'll take you up on your kind offer. Maybe if the snow ever goes away.

matsickma

Reaction score
I wonder if the reference to a bass antihum pickup was referring to the use of the small Hagstrom pickup occasionally seen paired up with the larger Bisonic Hagstrom pickup. I had assumed the smaller bridge bridge pickup was a single coil but maybe its a humbucker.
M

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Kurt, that's pretty cool how those all fit perfectly on your table top!

walrus

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just for the record, they are all from different dates. Guild usually put out Price Lists twice a year! (Or in the case of '93, three that year!)