Looking for a starter guitar for my boy

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man GC is useless to me . I never see deals at my local GC . It’s located to close to rich people . They won’t even negotiate on a online guitars no matter what their location .

Don't blame that on the locals. There is a central location for GC that prices all the vintage gear. The locals are not allowed to do anything but sell at the price Central sets. The one exception is that if the vintage instrument is actually in the store with you, they may be willing to negotiate a price lower than what Central said. But if I had a beginner I'd take them to try things. The staff would probably appreciate someone who does not pick up an instrument and play "Sweet Child of Mine".

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't blame that on the locals. There is a central location for GC that prices all the vintage gear. The locals are not allowed to do anything but sell at the price Central sets. The one exception is that if the vintage instrument is actually in the store with you, they may be willing to negotiate a price lower than what Central said. But if I had a beginner I'd take them to try things. The staff would probably appreciate someone who does not pick up an instrument and play "Sweet Child of Mine".

Yeah Central same central as musicians friend there total stupid on pricing as well lol sure glad they sell new stuff most likely the only thing keeping them going . Lol

bobouz

Reaction score
Epiphone EL-00 Pro.

Available either with a solid spruce top, or solid mahogany top.
Back & sides are laminated mahogany.
1-11/16" nut, 24.75" scale.
Fishman pickup (soundhole vol)
Made in Indonesia.
$280 when on sale @ 15% off.

Very good build quality at this price point. Tone is surprisingly rich on most examples.

After all the guitars you've had to return lately > buy it online through GC, and if you don't like it, you can return it locally!

bobouz

Reaction score
Don't blame that on the locals. There is a central location for GC that prices all the vintage gear. The locals are not allowed to do anything but sell at the price Central sets.

I believe prices on all of GC's "vintage" pieces are set through their Hollywood store, whereas "used" instruments are priced locally.

Prices on "used" items can sometimes be very good, and you also can sometimes negotiate a bit. However in the last year or so, it seems like GC has more frequently been pricing both vintage & used pieces quite high.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I believe prices on all of GC's "vintage" pieces are set through their Hollywood store, whereas "used" instruments are priced locally.

Prices on "used" items can sometimes be very good, and you also can sometimes negotiate a bit. However in the last year or so, it seems like GC has more frequently been pricing both vintage & used pieces quite high.

yes Used is high , pictures are poor info is non existent for online used . Zero negotiating on online items . Verbal replies are just keep checking back to see if the price goes down . Meanwhile 5 yrs later lol

beecee

Reaction score
I don't know, I've had pretty good luck with GC. That being said I'm not trying to beat the snot out of them as far as pricing goes. I've had enough experiences where they were mispriced to begin with, like my D-25 I just bought.

I feel if you ask enough pointed questions, politely, and ask for pictures they are happy to assist.

I have has some clunkers that were a bit misrepresented and asked for and received, my shipping charge refunded as well as a full refund on purchase price.

Of course I'm lucky in that there are two in towns I visit on a weekly basis, Syracuse, (GO ORANGE), and Rochester and occasionally Johnson City, maybe that is the difference as it is not a big deal for me to go to one.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I've had pretty good luck with GC. That being said I'm not trying to beat the snot out of them as far as pricing goes. I've had enough experiences where they were mispriced to begin with, like my D-25 I just bought.

I feel if you ask enough pointed questions, politely, and ask for pictures they are happy to assist.

I have has some clunkers that were a bit misrepresented and asked for and received, my shipping charge refunded as well as a full refund on purchase price.

Of course I'm lucky in that there are two in towns I visit on a weekly basis, Syracuse, (GO ORANGE), and Rochester and occasionally Johnson City, maybe that is the difference as it is not a big deal for me to go to one.

I’m don’t beat them down mostly the guitars ( guild ) I’m looking at are only available at some far away location . Take my Contemporary series search’s so prices on reverb are very high to fair , one guy has one that’s MIRC that wants 1,900 bucks lol

Now GC Ain’t that bad but their around 1,200-1,400 which I’d never pay of coarse . I called them up asked some questions but the all said price is what it is . Now I never tried ordering it to a store and then trying for a deal . Not worth my time I feel .

Other then that they never have anything I’m interested in it’s a been there done that kind of thing . That being said I never had a bad encounter .
We have two in Charlotte 45- an hour plus away crazy traffic to the hour one lol .

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

I could have been clearer but you are right. What I was told as a buyer and seller was that "vintage" prices are set by Central and there is no negotiation - take it or leave it. "used" prices are set by local or Central. If you have direct contact with local they can be negotiated but otherwise they are fixed. There is some local flexibility about whether something is "used" or "vintage", but not much and used gear shipped from another store is not negotiable unless there is enough of a flaw in the description that someone local is willing to get on the phone to the originating store.

What was "Central" when I was the seller was open at 10 AM EST so there may be more than one Central location or Hollywood staffs the phones early in their morning.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I was thinking GC for a starter guitar, not a $4,000 one.

billymox

Reaction score
Some key comments I agree with are these:
Smaller nut width of 1 11/16" recommended for comfort, so a new player will not stop playing after 10 minutes.
Set up with very low action and Extra Light strings for comfort, so a new player will not stop playing after 10 minutes.
A smaller body guitar also for comfort.
I've had only good experiences with Guitar Center, I've bought 3 guitars I think, and sold 1 acoustic to them. Great return policy. They don't seem to negotiate at all, but they do lower the price after 60 days if not sold. They make mistakes sometimes and price guitars too low, I think you can find good there at GC. I bought a Guild GAD-50 Sunburst in mint condition with hard shell case for $350 maybe 6 years ago, great guitar.
GuitarCenter.com "Used Gear" has a Guild GAD-50 used for $499, that's just an average price, but it is a great guitar, similar to Guild's marvelous D-55 in tone and playability, small nut width neck, strong bass, very easy comfortable player, a dreadnaught. Taylor Mini is also a good starter guitar, or Blueride BR-40 great guitar value, small nut width 1 11/16".

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions much appreciated 😀

Cosmicarkie sold me an old harmony .
Low action body size is a good fit .

Got the guitar yesterday my sons first chord was D we never got off the chord before he quit , he gets frustrated easily and gives up says he’s not any good . I’m not sure were this comes from but I’m being as gentle and positive as I can with telling him this will take time your finger tips to strengthen.

Also I realize sometimes the parent has no place being the teacher this is one those times so I will sign him up for lessons and see how that goes .

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What type music does he like? Find a song in that paticular music that has two chords. Teach him a song. "Okie from Muskogie" by Merle Haggard can be strummed in "G" and "D" I believe but if hates old country find another. Ha
Sincere encouragement-find something positive.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Give him some time, he's only 11. Once he figures out that a guitar = chick magnet he'll be all over it.

Meanwhile, I would encourage the drumming if that's what he likes presently.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What type music does he like? Find a song in that paticular music that has two chords. Teach him a song. "Okie from Muskogie" by Merle Haggard can be strummed in "G" and "D" I believe but if hates old country find another. Ha
Sincere encouragement-find something positive.

It will be a bit before he can do chords very soft
Fingers you see , lol

Give him some time, he's only 11. Once he figures out that a guitar = chick magnet he'll be all over it.

Meanwhile, I would encourage the drumming if that's what he likes presently.

I actually tried the drumming route a awhile back he didn’t show interest . I was going to buy a electric kit .

I’ll keep tads and see we’re he wants to go .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Got the guitar yesterday my sons first chord was D we never got off the chord before he quit , he gets frustrated easily and gives up says he’s not any good . I’m not sure were this comes from but I’m being as gentle and positive as I can with telling him this will take time your finger tips to strengthen.
Sometimes kids just don't understand how complicated the whole coordination thing is.
Very few things come "naturally" to anybody, tell him it's just like a sport, it takes a lot of practice to learn how to bat well, or dribble, or even stay on a bike without falling over..
Also Stuball's advice about starting off with really simple 2 or 3 chord tunes is very good.
Also I realize sometimes the parent has no place being the teacher this is one those times
Were you trying to teach in your native tongue?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I as 15 my Mom bought me a cheap acoustic for like $15. I couldn't put it down, practiced 4 hours a day, to the detriment of my homework. Then I went and bought an Epiphone hollow body electric and played it through my stereo. Almost thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Can't believe I sold that Epiphone!

Anyway, just thinking your boy might appreciate an easy-playing electric a bit more for starters. You can get an Epi LP for $79 and a cheap amp, that might help motivate him to play guitar...