New Guitar, New Capo!

leehop71

Reaction score
I'm going to spring for a new capo for my new Guild.

I need the quick change kind and have been using the G7 Nashville for steel string guitars, NOT classiscal.

Is there a quick change out there I don't know about anyone would recommend instead of the G7 Nashville?

swiveltung

Reaction score
I highly recommend the new Planet Waves NS CAPO. I have Shubbs too. But this thing is really good and many like it now. I have found some capos work better on some guitars .

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Before searching for a capo you need to know your fretboard radius and the capo radius...if it doesn't match...

If you have a local emporium with many types of capos in stock, then bring the guitar in and try them out.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
I'm going to spring for a new capo for my new Guild.

I need the quick change kind and have been using the G7 Nashville for steel string guitars, NOT classiscal.

Is there a quick change out there I don't know about anyone would recommend instead of the G7 Nashville?
Thalia Capos. Trust me on this one, there are no equals. This gives you quick 1-handed changes, but more importantly, it includes different pads that fit different fretboard radii. I also have a G7, and it's pretty good, but after bending for example the string would stay bent because the G7 is too flat for most of my guitars. The Thalia follows the radius closely, and doesn't allow the string to slide underneath in a bend.
Spendy for a capo, but well worth it. IMHO. YMMV.
Before searching for a capo you need to know your fretboard radius and the capo radius...if it doesn't match...

If you have a local emporium with many types of capos in stock, then bring the guitar in and try them out.
This is definitely a problem, which the various pad allow you to address.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
How do you match the right Thalia pad with your radius?
The pad is designed to clip in and out of the body of the capo, and they include 7 different pads in common radii, 7.5", 9.5", 12", etc. You can snap the old pad out and snap in one of the others. This is cool because I have several Fenders, Gretsches, and now a Guild and I have all of the above plus 14" (also included) represented now. I like the G7 capo, but as I was saying above, I found that it let strings stay a bit bent because it didn't match the 9.5" I was using it on and slid between the board and capo. The Thalia enforces the radius so the strings come back much closer to their starting position after I let go of them.

leehop71

Reaction score
The pad is designed to clip in and out of the body of the capo, and they include 7 different pads in common radii, 7.5", 9.5", 12", etc. You can snap the old pad out and snap in one of the others. This is cool because I have several Fenders, Gretsches, and now a Guild and I have all of the above plus 14" (also included) represented now. I like the G7 capo, but as I was saying above, I found that it let strings stay a bit bent because it didn't match the 9.5" I was using it on and slid between the board and capo. The Thalia enforces the radius so the strings come back much closer to their starting position after I let go of them.

Gotcha. Ty

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Shubb. Quick, low profile.
^^^^ What he said. Easy, quick, LOW PROFILE which is key. I've not had a trouble with radius but I only have 5 acoustics. I have FOUR of Shubb capos. A chrome, a brass, and two black ones. People that play more and different guitars than EYE, will have more opinions.... of course.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
On a budget, I’ve had good luck with the Guild-branded capo, written up in this thread. At least the radius is right.
See, here's the thing with this.... Guild Guitars doesn't make capos, unless I'm totally deluded. So they have a company who MAKES capos make them and throw the Guild brand on them, isn't that true? Why not just buy the original? Wondering....

Last edited:

leehop71

Reaction score
See, here's the thing with this.... Guild Guitars doesn't make capos, unless I'm totally deluded. So they have a company who MAKES capos make them and throw the Guild brand on them, isn't that true? Why not just buy the original? Wondering....

I never knew they had these. Thanks DavismanLV.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have 3 different capos that I use the most.
First is the good old Shubb. I like the new model with the roller.
Second is a Paige. I like this for stage use except for my Guild.
The Paige doesn't feel smooth with my Guild when I try to store it behind the nut.
Third Kyser. Quick to put on and take off. Stores easily on the head stock when not in use.
The downfall to Kyser is that it reacts to lacquer and darkens the finish where it site on the head stock.