Carlo Greco's serial numbers (post-Guild)

nmiller

Reaction score
I haven't seen a list of CG's serial numbers, but I did recently find a guitar attributed to 1980 with a serial 80XXX. Does anyone know if my guitar, serial 83XXX should be dated to 1983, or are the first two digits not a date code? The pots in mine date to late 1975, but the headstock reads "Carlo Greco N. Y." so it has to be post-1977.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Nmiller, If you can get a small mirror inside one of the F-Holes, Carlo normally signed the tops on the guitars himself with a date of manufacturer. I know he did this on the acoustics and I have heard he did it on some of his archtops as well. I have yet to find a serial number list for his guitars and the only email address I have found relating to his builds is no longer working. From my research it is thought that between 1977 (which is when he started making his own line of guitars) and his death that total he only made around 200-250 pieces of both acoustic and electric together. My 1978 Super Jumbo is signed and dated under the top "Hand Made by Carlo Greco, Oct. 1978 New York". I hope this info helps and if you find any info on a serial number list I would be interested in it for my records as well. Here is a pic of the underside of the top on my 1978 Carlo Greco Super Jumbo and a pic of the headstock and guitar as well.

Something I just thought of was to possibly ask Hans or send him an email on his website. He actually had the photo of my top signature prior to me acquiring the guitar from Richardp69 here on the forum. I know he had conversations over the years with Mr. Greco himself due to his ties to Guild and he may have some kind of lead on some more info concerning his hand made models. From what I have seen Mr. Greco's Hand Made guitars were inherently unique from one another so it may be easier to pinpoint your exact guitar if there is any info on it. Have a good one and don't be afraid to post some photos of that gorgeous Greco!

8wsPFd.jpg

aCy685.jpg
Xq3xz3.jpg

TX

nmiller

Reaction score
TX - thank you so much! That turned out to be exactly what I needed to know. The serial is written on a silver label on the back, and I never thought to check the underside of the top. Getting a mirror in there was a small nightmare due to the unusual nature of the guitar, but I was able to make out "Hand Crafted by Carlo Greco in New York City oct. 1982". If that's when he finished the top, it's entirely reasonable to assume that the guitar was completed in early 1983.

iHP4AnB.jpg

Also, Carlo must have really loved checkered binding - here's mine:

8UNECxf.jpg

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
TX - thank you so much! That turned out to be exactly what I needed to know. The serial is written on a silver label on the back, and I never thought to check the underside of the top. Getting a mirror in there was a small nightmare due to the unusual nature of the guitar, but I was able to make out "Hand Crafted by Carlo Greco in New York City oct. 1982". If that's when he finished the top, it's entirely reasonable to assume that the guitar was completed in early 1983.

iHP4AnB.jpg

8UNECxf.jpg

Wow! That deserves another look.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

iHP4AnB.jpg

8UNECxf.jpg

Awesome news Nmiller and that is a Gorgeous example of a wonderful Greco! That looks to be his model that was built along the same lines as the beautiful and Famous "Merle Travis" model that he built while at Guild. Carlo did love the Checkerboard binding as it was a design feature he used on at least 2 of Guild's most famous guitars that he designed and personally built. One being the "Merle Travis" model and the other being the revered F612 18" lower bout 12 string jumbo. I love my Greco "Super Jumbo" as I call it as it is pretty much the 6 string cutaway version of the F612 and it even shares the longer 26.25" scale length of the F612. If for any reason you ever decide to part with that beautiful Greco please put my name on the list as it is something I would treasure and play for a lifetime. Also think it would be pretty cool to reunite the two long lost Greco Siblings in the same room, Man the stories that each could tell! That is a drop dead gorgeous Greco Nmiller and it takes a lot to turn my head nowadays, Consider my neck hurting from turning so much! Heck I would even consider trading a few rare electric pieces for it if that was something you would fancy. Have a good one man and once again I am just speechless over that guitar.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nmiller, that is indeed inspired by the Merle Travis model. Wow. So cool to see that and what a super-cool guitar!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting the pix!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And the George Barnes AcoustiLectric model, with those hole-mounted pups.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's right, Chris. The Merle had a floating pickup if I recall. It is certainly interesting to see pickups in those "soundholes". Does that guitar have any usable sound without amplification, nmiller? Just curious?

nmiller

Reaction score
Yup, it's definitely an updated version of the George Barnes idea, complete with pickups mounted on a dowel suspended between the neck and tail blocks. I'm not sure about the Merle Travis connection, though, since there were a few other one-off Guild archtops with oval soundholes. This particular guitar was floating around the internet for a while, including a listing on Reverb. Somehow, it made its way to Guitar Center where I picked it up for a bit over $2K, which felt like finding the Ark of the Covenant in Goodwill for a nickel. Aside from one scratch on the side, it's in very clean condition - until today, I thought it was probably from the '90s or '00s. I assume it's a poly finish, since I've never seen a nitro finish this old with basically no signs of ageing. The neck feels just like an X-500, but the super-hot DiMarzios and carved construction give it a totally different sound. The second toggle is a coil split for the bridge pickup.

It sounds excellent unplugged, with lots of volume and punchy bass despite being strung with nickel-wound 11s. I recorded an acoustic & electric sound clip when I first got it.

P1X8Mxp.jpg

BHM2t19.jpg

lNvJtZi.jpg

HOruNbW.jpg

WmoAJGe.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nmiller, I seriously doubt that Mr. Greco would've used polyester/polyurethane. It probably is NCL, but the guitar has likely been a case queen. But, I don't know for sure. It's possible that Hans Moust would know.

And, regarding the Merle Travis connection... we're referring to the Guild Merle Travis model, which is without a doubt the inspiration for your guitar. If you don't already have Hans Moust's "The Guild Guitar Book" you must add it to your collection; The Merle model is in there.

Best wishes. $2K? Jeez, that's crazy for such a unique guitar.

nmiller

Reaction score
I sincerely doubt it's a nitro finish. It has not yellowed or thinned, but it flaked like poly around the scratch.

On the page in Hans's book before the Merle Travis guitar is an A-600B that bears a stronger resemblance.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! That is a very cool guitar! The knobs and switches on the pickguard are wild! Beautiful!

To think that guitar ended up at Guitar Center is mind-boggling. I'm guessing Guitar Center had no idea what they had or what to do with it...

walrus

nmiller

Reaction score
To think that guitar ended up at Guitar Center is mind-boggling. I'm guessing Guitar Center had no idea what they had or what to do with it...

That sums up a big chunk of GC's used and vintage inventory. If it's not a Strat, Les Paul or D-18, they often have no idea what it is or how to price it. I've scored a number of great vintage pieces for practically pennies as a result, so this is definitely not a complaint!