Vintage Starfire IV 60's mini-buckers or 70's HB 1's ?

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I'm new to the forum and Guild's as well.
I started playing back in the early 70's and have always loved, but never owned, old 335's. The problem being that the ones I like are usually $10K and up! What I can't I can't believe is how unaware of these SF IV's I've been all this time.
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a vintage SF and I would like ya'll's opinion on the differences in the pickups between the mimi Buckers in the 60's vs. the HB 1's from the 70's.
Thanks!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome!

The '70s HB1s are deliciously chimey - sort of a Gibson PAF but with more high-end sparkle. My favorite pickups.

The '60s AntiHum pickups are even more chimey and very popular with most everyone that plays them.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either. I would focus on the guitar's feel more than deciding between those two pickups as the '60s and '70s Starfires are quite a bit different from each other.

Scroll down to the pickups section here for details about both, though the technical articles don't really cover the sound too much: gads-guilds

Reaction score
Whoa! Thank's GAD. A lot of information there!
Luckily for me, I can adjust to any neck. Comes from learning on crap guitars.
I doubt I'll get a chance to play very many. I think I'm going to buy the blingiest one I can find.