my Guild D66 NT

bolark

Reaction score
Thanks to those who helped me navigate back in. Quite a few years ago I learned from this site that my D-66, which I bought new in Atlanta, was a special instrument. Special because it was number 3 (serial # 100003) on the production run of the then new model just co-designed in collaboration with Guild by George Gruhn, the master. I would not have had a clue except for joining up here.

A few years later (mid-2016) I was chatting here again, which amazingly prompted a direct "reach out" from George himself. He asked me to send photos, which I did. I felt star struck exchanging emails with such a legend, and enjoyed his comments about how he felt about my Guild as "one of his babies". He then offered to buy it. I needed to think about that, and told George I would be back to him shortly. It bums me that a man of such stature reached out, yet I never called back ...... but I had good reason.

The very next day I disappeared into a perilous relapse of my leukemia. After a battle, and thanks to the man upstairs and amazing medical advances, I am finally back. I'm also thinking of now parting with my precious D-66. Aside from a hair line crack (in the finish only) and a few nicks, it is in very nice condition. Before reaching back to George, I'm hoping this is a place where I may get some ideas on value. It is good to be back, and I look forward to any thoughts. As soon as I figure out how, I'll post some photos.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does it have the codesigned with Gruhn label?

My guess is that the market might bear 1800 to 2200ish. Just a guess.

Love to see some pics.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Those are great guitars! My '84 D64 is #100006, and has the "Co-Designed with George Gruhn" label (see my avatar!).

You may do better selling on the open market than selling it to Gruhn. In fact, I'm guessing you could find a buyer right here on LTG who would love to have it...

walrus

bobouz

Reaction score
Gruhn is a dealer I would trust to be fair and upfront in any discussion re an instrument's value.

It would be very interesting to know what he would offer for one he is directly associated with.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome back and congrats on the recovery!

I may be interested depending on condition/price/etc.

bolark

Reaction score
Thanks FNG. Yes it has the codesigned label. I will post pics soon.

bolark

Reaction score
FNG, yes it has the codesigned label. Walrus, bobouz and Rich Cohen, I appreciate the generous feedback and kind words. GAD, thanks for your interest. I will post pics soon.... tomorrow or Monday.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If I could I would. These are pretty special and not often seen for sale on the various selling sites.

But the heck with all that, congrats on your recovery and I, and I'm sure everyone on this site, wishes you continued success and recovery.

bolark

Reaction score
Thank you Richardp69 I much appreciate those good wishes. I'm blessed and life is good.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But the heck with all that, congrats on your recovery and I, and I'm sure everyone on this site, wishes you continued success and recovery.

+1!

I'd say GAD needs a Gruhn Guild!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations on what sounds like a miraculous comeback! Nice guitar too, and wow I didn't expect to see 2 of them presently for sale.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
+1!

I'd say GAD needs a Gruhn Guild!

GAD's got a Gruhn Guild!

GuildNightbirdGGFull.jpg

Reaction score
Congrats on the fight with leukemia! Stay strong and stay healthy... and keep playing!

The one Reverb ad has a estimated value letter from Gruhn stating the value to be 2500.00. Although George wouldn’t pay near that! ( he is, after all, a retailer/reseller and needs to make some profit.)

You’d be better off selling it yourself... and much better off by keeping it “ in the family” and selling to someone here on LTG!

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Thanks to those who helped me navigate back in. Quite a few years ago I learned from this site that my D-66, which I bought new in Atlanta, was a special instrument. Special because it was number 3 (serial # 100003) on the production run of the then new model just co-designed in collaboration with Guild by George Gruhn, the master. I would not have had a clue except for joining up here.

A few years later (mid-2016) I was chatting here again, which amazingly prompted a direct "reach out" from George himself. He asked me to send photos, which I did. I felt star struck exchanging emails with such a legend, and enjoyed his comments about how he felt about my Guild as "one of his babies". He then offered to buy it. I needed to think about that, and told George I would be back to him shortly. It bums me that a man of such stature reached out, yet I never called back ...... but I had good reason.

The very next day I disappeared into a perilous relapse of my leukemia. After a battle, and thanks to the man upstairs and amazing medical advances, I am finally back. I'm also thinking of now parting with my precious D-66. Aside from a hair line crack (in the finish only) and a few nicks, it is in very nice condition. Before reaching back to George, I'm hoping this is a place where I may get some ideas on value. It is good to be back, and I look forward to any thoughts. As soon as I figure out how, I'll post some photos.

I do not know the situation, but this sounds to me as if George were interested in acquiring this guitar for his own collection. He can find, acquire, and re-sell vintage Martins and Gibsons with far more ease and far more profit than chasing after one of his early designs just to re-sell it.

Just a thought tonight.

CK

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do not know the situation, but this sounds to me as if George were interested in acquiring this guitar for his own collection. He can find, acquire, and re-sell vintage Martins and Gibsons with far more ease and far more profit than chasing after one of his early designs just to re-sell it.

Just a thought tonight.

CK

George had quite the collection of unique Guilds from his era there when he graciously invited us upstairs at his old store on Main St during the LTG get together back in 2013. He even played for us!

I think we all thought he was charming in his gruff way, and the value of the guitars on the second floor (usually not open to the public, LadyTexan charmed our way in) was just staggering. He had a whole wall of mostly pre-war Martins, and another wall of Loar era Gibsons flanked by two near mint 1927 L5s. Just amazing.

9210997200_f516d2b89d_b.jpg

Last edited:

bolark

Reaction score
Thanks for all the additional thoughts..... FNG and richardp69 you are working Gary over good. Retro Rocker, I know what you mean about keeping it in the family. I'm struggling with that. I did get the sense that George Gruhn was interested personally, as CK suggested. Of course I could be wrong. The dialogue here with such a quality group of genuine Guild appreciators is a big help. I'll have photos soon.

bolark

Reaction score
IMG_1283.JPG

my Guild D66 NT - hopefully photos are attached here. More to follow if this works.