Road trip to Elderly Instruments yesterday

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Elderly is about an hour from here, and I brought my DV-52 to have them look at the LR Baggs pickup system, it's not producing enough signal for my liking.

Anyway, I spent about an hour perusing the acoustic guitars and mandolins. Hardly any Guilds, and no Oxnards. I played a Collings, a Huss & Dalton, and a Santa Cruz, all fine guitars and all with price tags at around $5K. I quit playing and just looked at price tags for awhile. And of course they have 50-60 Martins in the room.

I was really coveting this little A-style Collings Mandolin, beautiful flamed Maple back and sides, and what sweet tones it produced! The room fairly vibrated when I picked that baby. But alas, I didn't have $2,900 on me.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Elderly is about an hour from here, and I brought my DV-52 to have them look at the LR Baggs pickup system, it's not producing enough signal for my liking.

Anyway, I spent about an hour perusing the acoustic guitars and mandolins. Hardly any Guilds, and no Oxnards. I played a Collings, a Huss & Dalton, and a Santa Cruz, all fine guitars and all with price tags at around $5K. I quit playing and just looked at price tags for awhile. And of course they have 50-60 Martins in the room.

I was really coveting this little A-style Collings Mandolin, beautiful flamed Maple back and sides, and what sweet tones it produced! The room fairly vibrated when I picked that baby. But alas, I didn't have $2,900 on me.

Ah yes! My favorite day-trips... the music store and Home Depot :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They did just have in on consignment a really nice looking '73 F 48 in nice shape. It did have one repaired top crack and a recent neck reset but it looked really sweet. I've always liked that model. I just did find one on Ebay last night (and bought it). Also a '73 F 49. No repaired cracks on this one. It did also have a recent neck reset but it looks like it was well done (at least to me it did). Should be here next week.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also a '73 F 49.
?!?!?!? Typo for F47 maybe? Never heard of an F49 but with Guild that just means I never heard of it.....
Should be here next week.
Thought you were selling some of to make space?
(OK maybe you just wanted to get 'em back out in circulation, but still gotta rib you about having empty nest syndrome already...)
:friendly_wink:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
?!?!?!? Typo for F47 maybe? Never heard of an F49 but with Guild that just means I never heard of it.....

Thought you were selling some of to make space?
(OK maybe you just wanted to get 'em back out in circulation, but still gotta rib you about having empty nest syndrome already...)
:friendly_wink:

Sorry Al, it was F47, my mistake. Also, I can't seem to stop buying even though I tell myself I should.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Man, I am really old and senile. Actually F 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, thought you were talking about 2 different guitars, an F48 and (now) an F47...or were there 2 F48's, both with reset necks and one without repaired top crack?
You can take a few minutes answering this one.... :friendly-wink:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Both were F 48's. Both had a recent neck reset. The Elderly one also had at least one repaired top crack.

I was always looking for an F48 too, until I got the Orpheum Jumbo. That ended that search!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yup, the Orpheum Jumbo is wonderful. I have one as well but if things go as planned it will soon be in the hands of another LTGer.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
They did just have in on consignment a really nice looking '73 F 48 in nice shape. It did have one repaired top crack and a recent neck reset but it looked really sweet. I've always liked that model. I just did find one on Ebay last night (and bought it). Also a '73 F 49. No repaired cracks on this one. It did also have a recent neck reset but it looks like it was well done (at least to me it did). Should be here next week.

All this talk about the F-48! It reminds me of mine which I sold to a guy who plays mostly in church. It was a great specimen -- no issues really. Oh well.....
RC