New to Guild Forum!

RevDavidLee

Reaction score
Okay now.. where were you good people at the start of this thread? :biggrin-new:

29570906_1832630040120446_5982286438509576192_n.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) Rev, you're on a twisted journey here that many of us can relate to! :)

The string hunt reminds me of "War Games:" Strange game; the only way to win is not to play.

:) I don't agree with that, of course, but it's fun to realize that you probably have more choices than you can exhaust in a lifetime. :)

While I'm at it, Rev... John Pearse... I'm just sayin'... :)

RevDavidLee

Reaction score
:) Rev, you're on a twisted journey here that many of us can relate to! :)

The string hunt reminds me of "War Games:" Strange game; the only way to win is not to play.

:) I don't agree with that, of course, but it's fun to realize that you probably have more choices than you can exhaust in a lifetime. :)

While I'm at it, Rev... John Pearse... I'm just sayin'... :)

:biggrin-new:

docfishr

Reaction score
Rarely am I in the right place at the right time so yesterday was my turn. Yea![/QUOTE]

Welcome Rev. The Lord works in mysterious ways! Maybe a lottery ticket next?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey DL, welcome to LTG. D4 is one of the best guitars for the money out there, barre (lol) none!! You lucked into a great situation there and that's fortunate for you. I've nothing to add. Play and enjoy and thanks for the photos!! We don't get those very often on a first post so.... that's especially nice!! :encouragement:

RevDavidLee

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all the advice & comments. Today is the day I change strings. Before I do, I took a close up photo of the strings that came on the guitar just for historical purposes. I adjusted the contrast to bring out the detail in the strings, but by doing so it made the dirt in the wound strings look cleaner. Trust me - they're not. Well here we go! :peaceful:

29594679_1840404576009659_5635016791752640895_n.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all the advice & comments. Today is the day I change strings. Before I do, I took a close up photo of the strings that came on the guitar just for historical purposes. I adjusted the contrast to bring out the detail in the strings, but by doing so it made the dirt in the wound strings look cleaner. Trust me - they're not. Well here we go! :peaceful:

29594679_1840404576009659_5635016791752640895_n.jpg

Hopefully I'm not too late with this cautionary note:
Electron microscopy has revealed some very very strange critters lurking in those grooves, I call 'em "Groove Gliders" pending formal taxonomic classification:

gunk1_uncoated.jpg

HYDROTHERMAL-WORM-ELECTRON-MICROSCOPE.jpg

Some people even mistake a full-on overpopulation die-off for simple corrosion:
maxresdefault.jpg

You might want to wear these when playing or disposing of old strings:

rubber_gloves_l1.jpg

RevDavidLee

Reaction score
Oh Lord :grey:

I didn't wear gloves so if I go silent, I have died. :sad:

I put on a set of D'Addario EJ 16's and man o man the guitar is an entirely new instrument. And LOUD! I love it! I'll be playing this throughout this evening. I have a variety of acoustics including Martin, Gibson, Alvarez, Boulder Creek, Taylor etc and merely a string change on this Guild elevated this guitar into a lofty level I had not expected. Thanks guys! Gotta go get my Guild on! :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I put on a set of D'Addario EJ 16's and man o man the guitar is an entirely new instrument. And LOUD! I love it! I'll be playing this throughout this evening. I have a variety of acoustics including Martin, Gibson, Alvarez, Boulder Creek, Taylor etc and merely a string change on this Guild elevated this guitar into a lofty level I had not expected. Thanks guys! Gotta go get my Guild on! :encouragement:

yeah, those EJ16s are great. I played my Guild last night with rather old EJ16s on it, it still was a champ.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I have never seen groove gliders on D'Addario Ej-16's.

I FEEL SO VINDICATED!!!!
:victorious:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
People..... change the damn strings. Don't worry. If you don't like them, change them again. They're strings.... it's a really temporary thing and life goes on and .... they're strings. It's kinda like Windows '95. If you wait long enough, it won't work any more and besides you need a new OS (strings) anyway....... play, be happy. Try NEW STRINGS!!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody, did you go bone on your saddle and pins?

hey Antney,

the Br already had bone nut/saddle and i think ebony pins when i bought it back in 2012 or 13. i have invested in a neck reset, a k&k pup, fret crowning, and just have played it a lot over the past 5-6 years as it is my only guitar. i bought this really nice Santa Cruz dread and played that for like 6 months, eventually giving it to my wife as i just liked the old cheap Guild dread better. :)

i do hear that bone nut, saddle and better pins make a big difference in tone.