Today's Madness

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild-AntiHum-Mini-Humbucker-NoCover-1.jpg

It looks like these aren't wax-potted. It looks like they're epoxy potted! This is me trying to melt the "wax" off. I went and gut a couple chunks of paraffin to see if I was losing my mind. The melting ice-looking stuff is paraffin wax.

Guild-AntiHum-Mini-Humbucker-NoCover-MeltingWax.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one that was rewound, so I guess that one doesn't count. I have some reissues that I was going to crack open and see how easy it would be to swap coils, but the 12 hour days, six days a week schedule is just crushing me at the moment.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks like a pup murder scene! Where's Columbo?

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Is that a steel bar or a magnet in the non-screw coil? (Looks like a rough cast magnet to me.)

-Dave-

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have one that was rewound, so I guess that one doesn't count. I have some reissues that I was going to crack open and see how easy it would be to swap coils, but the 12 hour days, six days a week schedule is just crushing me at the moment.

Tax time?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That was a great read! I enjoyed the "mad scientist" experiment angle. The photos were great as usual... you are getting some good use from the roll of white background material.

I didn't realize that "mini-humbuckers" had a metal bar in the second coil. It makes sense, because the second coil is mainly for the hum canceling properties. I went back and read the HB-1 teardown and review. Good stuff! :encouragement:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That was a great read! I enjoyed the "mad scientist" experiment angle. The photos were great as usual... you are getting some good use from the roll of white background material.

I didn't realize that "mini-humbuckers" had a metal bar in the second coil. It makes sense, because the second coil is mainly for the hum canceling properties. I went back and read the HB-1 teardown and review. Good stuff! :encouragement:

Thanks!

Believe it or not those pictures are all taken on a simple white foam board from staples using on-camera flash bounced on the ceiling.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
It's a slug bar - not magnetic at all.

Got it. That makes more sense, but I did have a hmmm, that's weird moment when I looked at your first set of pics.

Some of the mini-humbucker variants Gibson made in the '60s & '70s used steel bars in the non-screw coils. Sometimes one bar, sometimes a pair. Makes sense from a simplicity (and likely also cost reducing) standpoint.

-Dave-

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Default - I understand your issue and understand about the new hires. I am not so sure about the six day weeks being the issue. Many of them just do not want to work period! They made it through school just by showing up (after all, telling a student they are not performing would make them feel bad!) so they think it should be OK to just show up in the workplace. More than once students in my daughters class (she was teaching at ASU while working on her PhD) complained when they were given a low score for class participation. In their words they were "here for every class" to which she responded "yes but you did not participate! You did not interact or involve your self". Stephen Hawking (RIP good sir!) used his will to fight every problem that came his way and win out , but many younger folks think they are owed greatness simply because they exist. I would take 1 person with half the will and desire of Mr. Hawking, over a thousand of young "workforce".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
but many younger folks think they are owed greatness simply because they exist.
Everyone is precious and has intrinsic value.
http://counterpulse.org/whats-value-human-body/

"Datagenetics took the approach of reducing human body into basic elements...it concludes that the grand total of material cost for a typical human body is a meager $160."

"Finance Degree Center took the approach of consulting the black (red) market for human body worth...The result: theoretically, your body's worth up to $45million."

No wonder they expect to get paid for just showing up.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Everyone is precious and has intrinsic value.
http://counterpulse.org/whats-value-human-body/

"Datagenetics took the approach of reducing human body into basic elements...it concludes that the grand total of material cost for a typical human body is a meager $160."

"Finance Degree Center took the approach of consulting the black (red) market for human body worth...The result: theoretically, your body's worth up to $45million."

No wonder they expect to get paid for just showing up.

320x240.jpg

0.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
So you're saying it all comes down to proper cremation technique?
Lemme guess:
The one on (our) left was blow-dried, the one on the right was properly kiln-fired?

The one on the left was Yeoman Leslie Thompson (Star Trek S02E22: By Any Other Name). The one on the right lived.