New Starfire IV with loose toggle switch

Reaction score
I was at a guitar shop today and they offered me a sweet deal on a new starfire iv ($850). The only issue with it that I can find is that the toggle switch appears to be loose. Instead of being fixed, it kind of swivels around, which concerns me. I am inclined to buy the guitar, but only if they replace the toggle switch. They had a number of guitars there and the other starfire iv had the same issue, but the other starfires did not, nor did any of the Gretch's, which seem to have the same toggle switch. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can you simply tighten the nut on the switch ? My NS X-175b has a less substantial feeling toggle switch than my USA made Starfire. But, it doesn't spin.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, that'd be my guess, too. Any shop worth their salt would fix that for you for free right there on the spot if you bought it. Hell, I'd imagine most would fix it if you just showed it to them since it's their guitar and all.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Too bad it took a customer to bring it to their attention...especially when they have more than one in that condition.

By the way, welcome to LTG!

Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
I think what you are saying is that the switch housing is loose in the hole in the guitar. If so, it should be an easy do-it-yourself anyway, but I'd think the seller would be willing to do it.

But what you may be saying is that the toggle post is loose in the housing. I say that because mine is in my new SF III. It does function properly, but it does wiggle around in all three positions, especially the center one. Bad? At first I thought it was a joystick. I'm not expecting it to last forever, but for now I'm leaving it as is. For what I paid for it brand new, I'm quite willing to replace the switch if/when need be. Otherwise great guitar.

matsickma

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of toggle switches are used in these guitars? Many of the imports have a relatively cheap "box" switch in lieu of the traditional open "quick flick" switch. For home use the cheaper switch is ok but if you play a lot or play live you may want to replace a cheap boxed switch.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is the pic of the SF IV harness from Guild's site:

009-9120-049_starfire3_starfire4_ce100dcapri_wiring_harness.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speaking of which, I need to replace the toggle in my recently acquired Westerly '94 S-100
anyone know the correct Switchcraft replacement switch? Is it a right angle
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...es/Switchcraft_Right-angle_Toggle_Switch.html
or LP style?
No, it is not a right angle switch. Look at this blog of our member GAD and scroll down to the Electronics section. You can click in the picture to enlarge it.
http://www.gad.net/Blog/2018/03/13/1994-guild-s-100-polara/
Ralf

Reaction score
Thanks Ralf!

I did see a pic of internals elsewhere with a right angle switch which confused me.

Mine has obviously been rewired (with real instead of ceramic caps) but they chose to install one of those cheap plastic box-style toggles which sort of floats and doesn't engage.

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
But what you may be saying is that the toggle post is loose in the housing. I say that because mine is in my new SF III. It does function properly, but it does wiggle around in all three positions, especially the center one. Bad? At first I thought it was a joystick. I'm not expecting it to last forever, but for now I'm leaving it as is. For what I paid for it brand new, I'm quite willing to replace the switch if/when need be. Otherwise great guitar.
Yep, mine too. As wmachine says, it works properly but his joystick analogy is spot on.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Ralf!

I did see a pic of internals elsewhere with a right angle switch which confused me.

Mine has obviously been rewired (with real instead of ceramic caps) but they chose to install one of those cheap plastic box-style toggles which sort of floats and doesn't engage.

Ceramic caps aren’t real caps?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As has been mentioned, if you can, go ahead and just replace it. The imported hardware is a prime suspect for any stray rattle or buzz not coming from the strings. On my Aristocrat, the toggle switch has so much play, and the looseness of the screws in the bridge cause a noticeable buzz when playing unplugged. (And I hear the same thing in my import Fender Tele from the bridge.)

they em May look the same as quality components, but the slop tells the tale.