"I used to drive a '55"

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
D-55 and JF-55, that is. With my sweet wife napping, there's no noise making so nothing better to do that post pics of my two Westerly Guilds.

"Is that a '55, man?
I used to drive a '55...
What you got under the hood, man?
She makes me feel alive!"

-- Martin Simpson, "Delta Dreams"

These babies might've seen fewer miles than a '55 Bel Air, but they've got about as many dings, dents, and scratches-- especially the D-- and they make me feel alive.

GA1V9yV.jpg

bobouz

Reaction score
I used to drive a '57. Chevy that is.

Bought it while in high school for $300.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome guitars , so when you singing the D55 does the song change to I can’t drive 55 on the JF ? Lol

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Awesome guitars , so when you singing the D55 does the song change to I can’t drive 55 on the JF ? Lol

Ha! Something like that. :)

And bobouz, now that I think about it, my first Guild cost more than my first car... albeit about 30 years apart, but that still seems as it should be.

Any guesses as to what caused the chip to be taken out of the upper bout of the D55, on the treble side? It blends in better now, thanks to fixit doing some refinishing; she came to me with bare wood showing-- actually missing some wood that had been ripped away. My initial thought was that someone once had a pick dispenser stuck on there, but I really have no idea. That was the least of this guitar's issues when I first got her, but she's now the one that I reach for the most.

Thanks, everyone... rock on.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Our you talking about the sound area ? I see a spot there which looks a sound hole pickup was there .

Last edited:

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Our you talking about the sound area ? I see a spot there which looks a sound hole pickup was there .

There very likely was a sound hole pickup-- don't think I'd ever noticed that spot, now that I look at it. This guitar's overall condition is consistent with having seen some gigging wear and tear, and it doesn't have an internal pickup installed, so I guess that makes sense.

I was actually talking about the big gouge between the binding and pick guard-- closer view below, with side lighting so it shows up. Tom did a really nice job fixing up that along with some loose binding, so I don't really notice it unless I try. The weird part about this damage is that the original binding around that spot seems to be intact; I just can't imagine how it got there.

J6PtjRo.jpg