OK so New Gear day again ............

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's really pretty Adirondak spruce on that one!! Beautiful!! But then the curse.....

oh and P. S. Ray.... EYE am not a hater of the Contemporary Series AT ALL!! I think they had a great idea and then when the factory sold they were just cutting their losses. The fact that it's gone through MIRC would make me wary, but not afraid. Of course, I never buy a guitar unless I play it. It's a rule for me. I've been known to break rules but.....

How does it sound, amigo??

Funny when I first started looking at these guitars I found one or two that were factory fine non MIRC . Mostly what I see now is MIRC .

Seems folks are holding onto the good ones lol but I don’t know ...

If you know what to look for and except/ live with you can find good ones . It’s all about the money right ? What can I get for this price including repair if any ?

Have you seen what I sent back ? A 06 F40 , 2 NH F30’s one 2010 and one 2011 . There was a few more but their blurring together .

This guitar blows my CV-1 away in looks , fit and finish . It’s tone is even better a lot better lol

I mentioned that one of those returned F30’s that had the finger board coming up off the guitar had fantastic tone and I never forgot how it sounded . This CO-2 is close to it which surprise the poo out of me and this is with dirty strings on it .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man... that is one pretty guitar top. Glad it worked out for you. Given the pickup system, you've got me wondering if one of these would fit into my Taylor's current slot in the guitarsenal. Could make a trade and come out ahead.

Well there’s another one on reverb for 850 rounded up . Standard body no cutaway not sure if has a pickup don’t think so . They won’t budge on price . That guitar looks as good as mine does and if my seller did not negotiate I would have went with the slightly higher priced one because I like the top better , in the pics that is .

But you need to verify every thing on it and obviously the neck area is the focus , neck angle and anything else that is a concern . Get them to tell you it’s 100% if you find an issue and they give you a problem you can show reverb the messages if needed .

The biggest hassle is returning things . But if it’s a keeper it’s a keeper . Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok just measured and yes you guys are right . I did see it but thought nothing of it and for good reason subconsciously speaking . My CV-1 is exactly the same way .

It’s off no more then 3/32nds so split the shift to the high E side and we ain’t talking but a sliver of wood lol

Other then that she’s fine well less the reset :)

geoguy

Reaction score
Yeah, the high e string looks slightly closer to the fretboard edge than the low E string.

Congrats on finding one that you want to keep, Ray.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What the heck is a "CO"? Looks awfully nice, whatever it is. ;) Love that ebony fretboard!

Don't think anybody answered this yet:
Tacoma's version of the F30 body featuring the bolt-on neck system with an associated "tone arm" system (the "Spider" TX mentions) and a coupl of other details like the headstock logo, fingerboard material, and different top wood choices than the F30 offered at the same time.
C= Contemporary O- "O" body.

Ray's CV is the F40 version of the Contemporary series, and Ray is now the only member I can remember to ever have 2 Contemporaries.
Congrats, brothah Ray!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Don't think anybody answered this yet:
Tacoma's version of the F30 body featuring the bolt-on neck system with an associated "tone arm" system (the "Sider" TX mentions) and a coupl of other details like the headstock logo, fingerboard material, and different top wood choices than the F30 offered at the same time.
C= Contemporary O- "O" body.

Ray's CV is the F40 version of the Contemporary series, and Ray is now the only member I can remember to ever have 2 Contemporaries.
Congrats, brothah Ray!

Yaaaaaaaaay man :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok neck reset done gosh that guy is fast and good !

Shifted the neck over its pretty close to on at least the dots are in the middle LOL

always fun to open up these things , I should have been a luthier hahaha its fun to learn. It has the normal sloppy routing and imprecise shaping of the body at the neck which i can now say was the big epic fail LOL

So I chiseled and sanded myself into bliss kind of a pain as it was not as simple as sanding one side of neck heal down to fix the off set the neck had to mess with the mounting block and graphite rails yeah those 2 black things LOL then angle the heal and the other side so it all mated good .

Neck angle with the straight edge using the by eye ball method was 1/8th inch below the bridge. with now string tension I reset at 1/8 above after restring she's a perfect 1/16th .

I have to lower the action a bit more but I'm letting her get settled in . I have a few pics nothing earth shattering but you see some king of glue or finish stuff on the neck , not really sure what it is but the NCL did not like it . So it kind of gobbed on there and in the mounting block in the guitar so I cleaned all that up . anyway here some pics

The radius of the finger I was talking about
PQmxyEn.jpg
[/IMG]

some of the glue or whatever that was on it and it was on the guitar also
tWwzfWA.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice huh !

gzGdnA5.jpg
[/IMG]
gMU8Irf.jpg
[/IMG]
EGzt3SG.jpg
[/IMG]

Now the Fix

wVipYeG.jpg
[/IMG]
0kvQr0c.jpg
[/IMG]
haK8Is5.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
last three LOL
1w1gjFx.jpg
[/IMG]
6jgfZ9F.jpg
[/IMG]
dkT7SEg.jpg
[/IMG]

The end ... for now ?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking Good Ray! It is Amazing what you can accomplish with some woodworking tools, A little bit of time, and Star Trek on the TV Set for Background noise, LOL!:saturn: I do the same thing from time to time. Anxious to hear your review once you get her dialed in.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like the wood binding on them.
I think your thinking about the Mic Gad series Geecee .

Anyway poor mans demo is here
https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/giuld-co-2
Please use good head phones !!!

I just got with the second saddle adjust and decided to just record something .

Lots talking up front and heavy breathing chest congestion along with bad speaking skills and incomplete if wrong information lol

Oh and lousy playing . No Eq or Compression with just a tad of reverb . She’s a bright sounding guitar and I don’t thing she’s been broke in yet .

Ok did the last saddle adjust much nicer now except now it needs fret leveling lol but is pretty good .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
what is the Guild model in the pic of you leaning up against the bike?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
looks like a nice dread.

So wait , did you listen to the track or stop at the picture ? Lol

It took 3 guitars to get the one all new . Heavy poly killed its volume but it was a great playing and rounding guitar other wise all solid wood Sitka hog stereo pickup which was awesome .

It’s a great guitar gor the bucks but the AJ500 masterbilt I played sounded better possible lighter finish . I’m interested in because of the ploy for a camp fire guitar :)

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray,
Nice job on the "rebuild". Very nice indeed! I am amazed at the offset at the end of the fretboard however. I cannot say I have never seen one like that before but I certainly never noticed one to that extreme. To the group, has anyone ever noted that characteristic on any model or family (Guild or otherwise?)? In any case, it appears that your skills at making the fix are well ahead of many of us I am sure. Perhaps that golden opportunity you were wishing for in the past is looking at you......

To go with the side veer, before I acquired my D150 I was looking for the rosewood kin to your DR500 but never found one. The first good guitar I ever got to play was an Epiphone. It belonged to a friend I worked with and I have no clue as to the model, but it beat the pants off the flat wide necked, yellow CDX plywood topped Sears (or Wards) special that I possessed at the time. .... but I date myself. That was back in 1969 or 1970. As I recall it played very well but compared to mine, the neck was about half as wide! and where was that playing going on you asked....... by the campfire of course!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ray,
Nice job on the "rebuild". Very nice indeed! I am amazed at the offset at the end of the fretboard however. I cannot say I have never seen one like that before but I certainly never noticed one to that extreme. To the group, has anyone ever noted that characteristic on any model or family (Guild or otherwise?)?
I think it was due to the highly unusual (for Guild) bolt on neck, and possibly why the instrument was sent to MIRC, who specialized in refurbishing manufacturer "B stock".
But that neck mounting design was problematic at best, and first used on those "Contemporary Series" guitars.
It's entirely possible Guild decided to stop using it because of the problems.
We just don't know and Fender never talked.
They carried other Tacoma design innovations over to New Hartford, but not that one.
In any case, it appears that your skills at making the fix are well ahead of many of us I am sure. Perhaps that golden opportunity you were wishing for in the past is looking at you......
Ray cut his Contemporary teeth on another model, also an "MIRC piece", and with this second job I sincerely believe he's probably the most expert member here on these guitars, at least on the vagaries of the neck joint, with the possible exception of Fixit.
Not sure if he'd ever handled one of these prior to the first one Ray sent to him, though.
So even though I whacked him about build details of the line a while back, he's back up to "Official Forum Contemporary Series Expert" in my book.
It's a tough job and he deserves all the punishment he'll get... :glee:
Ray, sincerely, my hat's off to ya!
I wish I had the space and tools to attempt such efforts.
You may actually be on to something here, the quality of workmanship I see in the photos would satisfy me and I'm one picky SOB myself.
Maybe that's what it takes.