Back in the Guild! (Soon)

Nathan

Reaction score
Hi - new guy here. Had a JN4F in college that I sold (to make rent). The right choice at the time but I've missed it ever since. Always had a soft spot for Guild's, Jumbo's and 12 strings.
Currently playing an Alvarez ABT-60 (which doesn't sound at a like a jumbo unless you string it and tune it like a normal guitar. It's far more balanced than your typical jumbo tuned B-B), and a handful of electric guitars.

But I'm eagerly awaiting arrival of my OM-240CE tomorrow. There will always be a spot in the collection left open for another Guild Jumbo though.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome Nathan and Guild is worth the wait.
Report to us on your 240.

Nathan

Reaction score
Is that some kind of whacked unfaithfulness or what? Already plotting the next guitar before this one even shows up? Anyway - love the baritone for my voice, but since I can't just retune it standard without restringing, decided to get a 2nd guitar to keep around. An OM seemed like a nice alternate voice. I almost wish they hadn't wired it up though. I like what I've heard of bridge plate transducers. Undersaddles, not so much. Seems a waste to rip it out for a JJB.

Nathan

Reaction score
Thanks. Was looking for a 2nd guitar to keep in standard tuning. I love the baritone for my vocal range, but being strung 16-70, I can't just retune for standard. I toyed with the idea of getting another jumbo, but decided that an alternate voice could be handy, and money spent on an OM would likely be better spent than a similar amount spent on Jumbo. I almost wish you could get the OM-240C without the E (under saddle transducer). I like the bridge plate transducers I've heard (got a JJB waiting to go in my ABT-60 one of these days) but it seems like a waste to put one in a guitar that already has one, even if I like it better. Even though it drives me batty, I doubt anyone listening is going to care.

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Welcome, Nathan. Did you have a JF4-NT? I’m not familiar with a JN4F, but I’m a relative newcomer to Guild. I did just play-test a JF4-NT last weekend—sweet machine, even short one string. Love to hear about that 240 when it arrives. Cheers!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard brother :)

Nathan

Reaction score
Probably was a JF4NT, I was going from memory.

The newbie poster approval thing delays responses. I think I dupe posted earlier not realizing what was going on.

Nathan

Reaction score
It's here. Grabbed it, whisked it inside, hid the packaging in the garage.

It has a repaired top crack. I *thought* it was a just a finish crack when I made an offer, but rereading the ad that was my mistake. It does appear professionally repaired though - you can see the glue line but can't feel it. I might've offered $50 lower, but other than that I don't think I came out too bad. ($300 shipped for a refurb OM240CE).

Unfortunately, even though I'm WFH today, I'm still kinda busy with work, so pics will have to wait till the kid goes to bed.

Nathan

Reaction score
Bah, nothing's working at work. Needed a break. The crack is more visible in the reverb images. It's right at the low E string.

QDMSo6em.jpg

IfQyTxDm.jpg

Last edited:

Nathan

Reaction score
Almost a week, and it's a keeper. Here's the family portrait. The guitars and the uke on the far left are mine. The rest belong to my 5yo. (Electrics on the other side of the room on a rack stand.)

xfJ22X2m.jpg

Nathan

Reaction score
Thanks. No guitar playing dad is gonna get in the way of a kid who wants to play bass and drums.

He was 3 when he decided he wanted to play the bass. How do you get a bass in the hands of a (lefty) three year old? Bought a Rondo u-bass and built a new body for it. As much as I like the idea of colored strings, he's on the cusp of reading now (definitely knows his letters) and they stretch forever - every time you pick it up you need to tune up a half step. So I just bought some roundwound silk core ubass trings for it.