Why you need an ALL MAHOGANY guitar....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1 5/8 65 Epiphone Texan you're welcome to play if you want. I'm in SJ. I have small hands so it works for me.
Thanks buddy, but I was alluding more to the fact that my current pipe dream is an F40 with a shortscale and a 1-11/16 nut, not just trying to see if a 1-5/8 nut can work for me.
As far as I can tell just a few of the "Fxxce" models (and the "Prestige" series predecessors) are the only F40-sized bodies they ever made with the 24-3/4" inch scale.|
When he originally picked up the F45 that nut width spec caught my eye, because I was kind of hoping it was a mistake. But he confirmed it was correct.
And I already have a 1-5/8" nut version of those with a 25-1/2" scale in my F65ce.
I have small hands too so it's playable for me but I'm itching to try a shortscale with a slightly wider nut,
I've only ever seen it offered on electrics and S4ce's, so far.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know, the odd thing is, I have 3 Vintage Guitar Price Guides - 12, 15, and 18 - and the F15ce is in none of them. Nor is it in Gruhn’s Guide, published after the guitar’s date; and Gruhn would’ve had a hand in it, I think.

The few recent sales show me that I got a good price, but it’s odd that there is so little about this model; except here.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And having attended RISD (Rhode Island School of Design), which is where I think Talking Heads started, Byrne most likely would have known about Guild and Westerly.
RISD is in Providence, so my guess is during his time there Guilds would have been super common at local music shops and bars playing out.

a couple of them were enrolled in RISD, the thing is, once the band got serious, they had to wait for all of the members to leave Rhode Island and move to New York, before they could really get major league about it. Once they played CBGBs there was no looking back.

interesting about the guitar, every time it comes up here at LTG, I post the picture of Byrne. no one ever seems to remember. Chris u did well, cleanest one I've seen for sure. Any mahogany top Guild is a keeper. Yours does not come along every day (a lot closer to "once in a lifetime" BOOM!), very well done.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, I'm totally in LOVE with that guitar!! Oval sound hole and ALL!! I love those!! And I love everything about that guitar!! And I was so wanting it to be mine..... then the dreaded 1 5/8 nut. I played a guitar like that at GC the other day and I was exciting thinking that maybe a whole new world would open up to me.

I could get A with one finger. It just went downhill from there. I envy the guys with big and long hands. But the rest of us suffer with these huge mitts, or small hands you know?

Plus when your hands are small then your di............nope, not going there. It's a photo experience, you know?

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I have been enjoying this Martin 00-DB Jeff Tweedy:
Gsywrfa.jpg

ePKe4Nh.jpg

g1HuESt.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, got the strap ordered for the F15ce; wonder which will get here first. After seeing the thread on Walker and Williams straps, I got one for the Nightbird. The glove leather on the inside is some of the softest I’ve ever felt, and the edges are very finely finished. Amazing for the price.
So, here’s the match for the wine red:
G-116b.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice looking strap and if guitar and strap near that nice in person--"winner winner."

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beautiful tweedy bird u have there Bayou, i loved that guitar when i played it, as well as the OO-15M. u are all set!

if the guy in the video was as smart and educated as he sounds, he would pick up a Guild or a Martin full/solid mahogany small body.
I have no idea what guitars he is playing (is that one a classical? even worse if so, unless just a bad recording). im sure hes a great player but i have no idea what guitars he's trying to sell in his shop. not ones i would personally buy, so far. i bet they are crazy expensive too.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i tried an Eastman *spruce top small body in a cool shop in Ithaca a few weeks ago, it was new, and supposed to sound like an old timey/folk/mahogany top/martin guitar. i thought they did an incredible job, and the guitar sounded fantastic, played fantastic and was master crafted...still, just can't beat the real thing. the Martin OO-15M it was up against was the clear winner. no question whatsoever.

the Guild M-20 is a little smaller, it really plays like an electric in my own mind. I have a tough time comparing it to the Martins OO-15 and OO-Tweedy, and the Eastman. just kind of it's own beast (same for F-20)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
yeah that guitar is right ! so is the cost LOL
man I wish Guild made the f30 in a all hog . I been looking for an all hog for bit just not on my radar yet but the only thing guild has is the M20 or D25's that are all solid that is.

I decided to look around but i looked on the cheap side as Santa Cruz and Collings and Martin are up there in price. What I did find and I am curious about is the Eastman Ac OM2

heres a great video though the Ac om2 is featured its not alone . The guy playing is pretty darn good too ! LOL

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah that guitar is right ! so is the cost LOL
man I wish Guild made the f30 in a all hog .
They did; the M-30 Del Rio. But they are rare and don’t come up too often. (And you’ll have to fight me if one does come up.)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They did; the M-30 Del Rio. But they are rare and don’t come up too often. (And you’ll have to fight me if one does come up.)

You’ll most likely see it before me but on guard ! Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok just looked that one up and wow ! Honestly I don’t know why Guild would not have added that guitar back into the mix . 🤨