Why you need an ALL MAHOGANY guitar....

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
yeah but what one do you get LOL

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wish Guild would have made an All solid Hog Jumbo with a Solid Hog top. Heck I would even be interested in an Arched laminated Hog back and solid hog side/top full 17" Jumbo. I'll bet that either of those would have been Earth shaking in tone!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe find an Orphuem Jumbo with a messed up top and send it to Fixit? That would be cool! Or even a F212XL Standard from New Hartford with a jacked up top and send it to fixit to make me a Solid Hog top and body 12 string Jumbo. I need to quit thinking about this or I may have to do something about it, LOL.

TX

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Still hoping to find a Del Rio M-30 to go with my M-20 someday.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, thanks for the link - I really like this guy's presentation - great stuff, and so was
the episode on 12 fretters!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Bonneville!! I like his take on the differences and he plays well enough to demonstrate and it makes sense to me. So that's why I listen. Glad you enjoyed it. And TX, remember back in the Westerly days, when if you got an order of 20 you could order anything? Wouldn't that have been great? Like my D65S that GC ordered!! Only your jumbo, all hog, maybe an arched back? HOLY CRAP!! How amazing would THAT have sounded? I guess we'll never know..... DAMN!! :encouragement:

Why haven't we seen that?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
that guitar he's playing sounds like garbage compared to any M-20 i've ever heard

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I wish Guild would have made an All solid Hog Jumbo with a Solid Hog top. Heck I would even be interested in an Arched laminated Hog back and solid hog side/top full 17" Jumbo. I'll bet that either of those would have been Earth shaking in tone!

TX

just get a 1968-1972/3 all solid mahogany D-25, definitely covers the bases.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bonneville!! I like his take on the differences and he plays well enough to demonstrate and it makes sense to me. So that's why I listen. Glad you enjoyed it. And TX, remember back in the Westerly days, when if you got an order of 20 you could order anything? Wouldn't that have been great? Like my D65S that GC ordered!! Only your jumbo, all hog, maybe an arched back? HOLY CRAP!! How amazing would THAT have sounded? I guess we'll never know..... DAMN!! :encouragement:

Why haven't we seen that?

If I could get over the M/T neck joint, "African Mahogany" back and sides, and Catalyzed Varnish Satin Finish on the new F40 Oxnard Jumbo I could find a pre owned one of those and use it for a donor. The thing is I could probably find a Westerly or New Hartford made donor for less money and be happier with the "upgraded" features on them like the Dovetail neck, Honduran Hog back and sides, Nitro Finish and scalloped Adirondack bracing. I really need to stop thinking about this or I will wind up Frankensteining a pair of Guilds. I mean if you are going to make a 6 string all hog jumbo it is only right to make a 12 string version to match it right? LOL!

TX

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
It's somewhat funny that this popularity of all-"mahogany" emerges just at a time when Mahogany is really not available anymore but Khaya, Utile, Sapele, or others that are "like" Mahogany are used instead. Is this just a marketing fad or do these woods actually make decent sounding tops?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
just get a 1968-1972/3 all solid mahogany D-25, definitely covers the bases.

As much as I would like it to be that easy I don't think the Dread would compare to the earth shattering rumble of an All Hog Jumbo. Plus you can find one of those any day of the week and most need a neck reset and crack repairs anyway so you are already going to spend more money on it after the purchase price. The fact that the Jumbo hasn't been done makes it all the more enticing, LOL!:biggrin-new:

TX

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
TX:
Would you give me the benefit of your extensive research on the Guild D40? That is the one I have convinced myself will be my next purchase and I am "wishy/washy" on whether my concentration should be on a Westerly, Tacoma, or NH? Logic tells me NH will have the most "trouble-free" of the three because it is latest of those mentioned but what about sound and playability--your thoughts.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX:
Would you give me the benefit of your extensive research on the Guild D40? That is the one I have convinced myself will be my next purchase and I am "wishy/washy" on whether my concentration should be on a Westerly, Tacoma, or NH? Logic tells me NH will have the most "trouble-free" of the three because it is latest of those mentioned but what about sound and playability--your thoughts.

I personally am a huge fan of the New Hartford Standard series D40's. I also like the Bluegrass models with the Adirondack tops but for that Classic Sitka Hog tone you really can't beat a NH standard series D40. Not to mention the prices on the used market are ridiculously low for a guitar that smokes the competitions offerings at 3 times the price. You can find them on the used market in almost Mint condition for between $700-$900 pretty regularly. There are several members here who have them and I am sure they will be along shortly to give you some first hand accounts. Everyone that I know that owns one holds it pretty dear to their hearts and for most it is their go to guitar for everything. Hope this helps and I believe Kitarkus and Beecee are two of the folks who have them so you may want to hit them up for specifics.

TX

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks TX and when I tossed that three-headed coin into the air, I wanted to reveal NH the winner. And Beecee, highly, recommended I listen to your thoughts. Plus the price seems fair. If I run across a nice NH, I will "point it like a covey of quail," and retrieve it to Dickson.
Seems to be a nice one on Ft. Collins craigslist but I am not much on shipping from strangers--buying directly--OK.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Bonneville!! I like his take on the differences and he plays well enough to demonstrate and it makes sense to me. So that's why I listen. Glad you enjoyed it. And TX, remember back in the Westerly days, when if you got an order of 20 you could order anything? Wouldn't that have been great? Like my D65S that GC ordered!!
Westerly (and later the Nashville Custom Chop) would build one of anything (for the right price), and as long as they felt it was "worth building", ie, not in conflict with Guild's aesthetic ideals and brand image.
That might be why we never saw a pink D25 (as far as I know).
It was New Hartford that saw the requirement of the 20-piece "minimum lot" to make a special build worthwhile, when the subject of building an "LTG special" came up.