Take THAT Mayer!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In response to the new Silver Sky, Fender releases their own innovative design.

d671958e-daf7-4ce9-bc15-4fbee2b67aca.jpeg

X-170AB

Reaction score
Touché!

I'm sure the Silver Sky is a fine guitar, but (as many seem to be remarking over the Internet) its design does seem puzzling. I can only guess that it was driven by what the artist wanted.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I don't know why, but while the body by itself looks quite nice, combined with the upside down headstock it gives me a headache when I look at it. Also "roasted earth" must be an homage to impending doom due to global warming.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In response to the new Silver Sky, Fender releases their own innovative design.

d671958e-daf7-4ce9-bc15-4fbee2b67aca.jpeg

this looks awesome and quite the detour for Fender? are they competing with PRS guitars? I have no clue what a Silver Sky is but i can imagine this Fender will sell well.

i cannot find anything on youtube for Fender Roasted Earth.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
this looks awesome and quite the detour for Fender? are they competing with PRS guitars? I have no clue what a Silver Sky is but i can imagine this Fender will sell well.
It’s a joke on the currently hyped PRS Silver Sky that John Mayer designed(?) after he left Fender for PRS. The Silver Sky is basically a PRS neck bolted onto a Fender Strat body. So, this is a Fender neck bolted onto a PRS body.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It’s a joke on the currently hyped PRS Silver Sky that John Mayer designed(?) after he left Fender for PRS. The Silver Sky is basically a PRS neck bolted onto a Fender Strat body. So, this is a Fender neck bolted onto a PRS body.

ah, should have known but i am like 15 years removed from my electric guitar playing hedey :) and clearly not the brightest string in the EJ16 set.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh my, that is ugly. really really ugly. cant stand the PRs headstock.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Personally, I like the look of PRS headstocks. Interestingly, that Silver Sky headstock is "reversed" like the fake Fender photo, i.e. the "higher" side of the headstock on a PRS usually matches the "higher" side of the body contour.

And for the record, this model is being drooled over on the PRS forum. They will sell a lot of them.

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the neck has some nice flying bird inlays, and it's body...is a wonderland

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mayer played the first prototype of the PRS model already a year ago:

[video=youtube;bTjFiqA3GqI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=bTjFiqA3GqI[/video]

The actual model now is this, as also already posted by Chris above.

PRS%20JMSS%20LIST.jpg

And one site had posted 3 models beside each other:

2018AfBlgPRSSilverSky700-min.jpg

But I love that fake Fender "Roasted Earth" model! Why didn't Fender post this on April 1 ???

Ralf

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've played many a PRS including a Private Reserve that was a $25k guitar and they've all left me cold.

The Silver Sky seems to have a wacky lower cutaway. That must have been where Big John spent all of his "engineering" time.

I don't hate on Mayer. I've seen him and he puts on a great show. He's a killer player, but this is just.... odd.