Used Guilds at Gainesville, FL GC - '06 D-50 Bluegrass Special and '92 JF4-NT

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Seeing PTC Bernie's post reminded me that I had a two-Guild encounter this weekend at the GC in Gainesville, FL. It was a quick visit-- stopping by during a road trip-- so I did't get to inspect every nook and cranny, but I did manage to take a few photos. I had a hard time putting down the very smooth Bluegrass Special-- actually took these pics intending to show my wife-- but later decided that now's not the time. (Some of you might recall my "My First Guild" story, which started on just such a stop in this very shop!) Anyway, the D-50 had a somewhat ominous top crack near the fretboard extension, and some finish irregularities on the top that don't really show up here, aside from the big scratches. (My '94 JF-55 has similar cracks on both sides, but they've been reinforced. Is this common with Guilds?) The F4 was missing a bridge pin and a string but it still felt like a decent sample-- not sure about the price point given the condition, but it's worth checking out if you're in the area.

I also took some close-up shots of the labels and the defects that I noticed, but for some reason these pictures are showing up HUGE when I preview my post. If anyone's interested, just ask and I'll post below. What's here is probably redundant with the GC website pics, but their pictures of used gear are never of high enough resolution to get a good idea of the condition.

W5FLQeK.jpg

2lmz6S1.jpg

geoguy

Reaction score
They couldn't be bothered to replace the missing string & bridge pin before offering it for sale? I'd probably offer them five-sixths of their asking price, since I could only test-drive five of the strings, LOL.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, that Sigma as the perpendicular M on headstock, meaning it was made in japan and one of the more sought after Martin dreads.
like red label Yammies and lawsuit Takamines.

that D50 looks great!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure we all appreciate the pics, Cocoa. Thanks!

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
Hey, that Sigma as the perpendicular M on headstock, meaning it was made in japan and one of the more sought after Martin dreads.
like red label Yammies and lawsuit Takamines.

that D50 looks great!

Interesting about the Sigma; I wasn't familiar with that particular branch. (I have a "lawsuit" Tak of my own, laminated top and all, and I can assure that it's sought after more as a curiosity than as a player. Decent beach guitar, though. :)

I haven't quit thinking about the D-50. Quick, someone else buy it before the longing gets the best of me. (Related: See the "Reasons not to buy a Martin D-18" video currently circulating on YouTube. That guy is my spirit animal.)

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
They couldn't be bothered to replace the missing string & bridge pin before offering it for sale? I'd probably offer them five-sixths of their asking price, since I could only test-drive five of the strings, LOL.

Good plan! Of course, their online pic of that guitar shows all six pins and strings, so I'm guessing a customer broke a string and they (hopefully) stashed the pin in a safe place. The guitar was hung way up high-- had to ask to have it pulled down.