Lady Lex found after 76 years

CA-35

Reaction score
The USS Lexington (CV-2) which was deliberately sunk after sustaining heavy damage in the battle of the Coral Sea May 4-8 1942 has been located after 76 years by Paul Allens research team. Here's a link to the story. She's still at sea..........https://www.yahoo.com/news/wreckage-found-wwii-aircraft-carrier-uss-lexington-005616775.html
736a2b98657a4ce106a8b346c05a4a6a69dcc8bc.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was lookin' for ya this morning:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...LEXINGTON-Remains-Found&p=1794938#post1794938
:friendly_wink:

PS what's really incredible is the story of how she continued flight operations for 3 hours even after 2 torpedo hit and multiple bomb damage and explosions from leaking avgas, see "8 May" in this wiki link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lexington_(CV-2)
I never really grasped how long she fought on myself, before, even though I'd heard the basic story many times.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You must be delighted and so glad you got so finality for your father.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw those shots last night too. Is the "Dpt 3021" the depth in feet !?

Scott,
Was your Dad on that ship ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

CA-35

Reaction score
I saw those shots last night too. Is the "Dpt 3021" the depth in feet !?

Scott,
Was your Dad on that ship ?

I don't recall mentioning it but just to clear things up my father was not on the Lexington, nor did he serve in any capacity. He was just a fireman from Miami Beach. My interests are however in WWII naval history.

Thanks for the USS Indianapolis bump Al.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't recall mentioning it but just to clear things up my father was not on the Lexington, nor did he serve in any capacity. He was just a fireman from Miami Beach. My interests are however in WWII naval history.

Thanks for the USS Indianapolis bump Al.

"De Nada"
I'm still thinking about the fact they had to scuttle the Lexington after 2 torpedo hits, counter-flooding to correct a list, and internal explosions that blew planes off the flight deck.
Still afloat but finally dead in the water after 7 hours of various destructive events.
Reason for scuttling was to prevent Japanese from salvaging the hull, as the US vessels needed to leave the area and towing wasn't an option.
And for context, since this one's been brought up before as well, right after Battle of Coral Sea, task force mate USS Yorktown headed for Pearl where it underwent an incredible 48 hour battle damage repair, enabling it to participate in the Battle of Midway, where it was ultimately sunk as well.
BUT:
Between the Battles of the Coral Sea and Midway, within a single month, the Japanese carrier force and more importantly skilled pilot reserves were reduced beyond recovery.
The final outcome of the Pacific war was pre-ordained after Midway.
The sacrifices of those 2 vessels were not in vain.

Last edited:

CA-35

Reaction score
"De Nada"
And for context, since this one's been brought up before as well, right after Battle of Coral Sea, task force mate USS Yorktown headed for Pearl where it underwent an incredible 48 hour battle damage repair, enabling it to participate in the Battle of Midway, where it was ultimately sunk as well.
BUT:
Between the Battles of the Coral Sea and Midway, within a single month, the Japanese carrier force and more importantly skilled pilot reserves were reduced beyond recovery.
The final outcome of the Pacific war was pre-ordained after Midway.
The sacrifices of those 2 vessels were not in vain.

I think Yorktown was turned around in 72 hours, still an unbelievable feat. Ray Spruance held task force command on the Enterprise until Yorktown met up with her at Midway then Jack Fletcher assumed command. Ray Spruance was God at Midway.

Coral Sea we traded ship for ship. Midway we decimated them and that was the turning point in the war.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think Yorktown was turned around in 72 hours, still an unbelievable feat.
Wiki had it at 48 but while they're at the highest accuracy they've ever been, they're still not infallible. You may well have better info, or it may even be that it was 72 hours total from dry-docking to underway again.
I was thinking more about how history is so often presented to us as a series of discrete episodes without the context of the big picture, which tends to reduce our comprehension.
The big picture:
In February 1942 the Japanese held complete control of the Pacific and were even threatening to land on Australia.
IF the US Pacific based carriers had been damaged or destroyed in Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 (as expected), they would have.
It's a little known fact that the Japanese actually completed and were the first to launch the world's first purpose-built aircraft carrier in 1921
The Imperial Japanese Navy started the Pacific War with 10 aircraft carriers, the largest and most modern carrier fleet in the world at that time.
(those 2 facts lifted from "the usual source")
By February 1942 they had no less than 11 total carriers, albeit that very first one at least, was involved strictly in training, not combat operational.
And 5 more were on the slips and commissioned between May and November. (One of 'em lasted just 4 months: launched in January and sunk at Coral Sea in May.)
The US had a grand total of 7 : Lexington, Enterprise, and Saratoga based out of Pearl, and Yorktown, Ranger, Wasp, and Hornet were in the Atlantic supporting anti-submarine operations.
Yeah we were sweatin' bullets abut the situation in the Pacific and Yorktown was tasked post-haste through the Panama Canal to supplement the Pacific Fleet.
Yorktown was in San Diego by December 30th and after some initial operations was tasked to the Coral Sea with Lexington in February '42 to help block Japanese advances in New Guinea, which would have provided the hopping-off point to Australia.
They'd already sunk the top-of the-line battleships Prince of Wales and Repulse off Singapore on December 18 '41, a major hit to the British Navy.
With naval airpower based in Saigon (!).
Had this strategy succeeded, Allied (including the UK) logistic supply lines in the Pacific would have been effectively choked off.
That's why Coral Sea was important.

As well, in February '42, Hornet was training B25 pilots in the intricacies of carrier-based launches, and in April, (between Coral Sea and Midway), carried out the Doolittle raid, then actually headed for the Coral Sea but the battle was over before it could get there, so it turned around to become the core of one of the task forces defending Midway along with Enterprise and Yorktown.
The Battle of the Coral Sea saw the sinking of a brand new Japanese carrier and severe damage to 1 of the 6 carriers that raided Pearl, and Midway saw the sinking of another 4 of those.
The Japanese carrier fleet was now reduced to 5 operational, although 5 more were commissioned and launched by the end of '42.
But Midway saw the gutting of the Japanese skilled pilot reserves, without which carriers were fairly well useless.
And the US was ramping up production beyond any hope of the Japanese ever catching up.
And Yamamoto's fears and warnings of eventually being out-gunned by the United States if they didn't complete their plans within 6 months were realized.
Within 7 months of the raid on Pearl.
And that's why Midway was important.

Coral Sea we traded ship for ship. Midway we decimated them and that was the turning point in the war.
Right, but Coral was a strategic win, it halted the advance on Australia and opened up Guadalcanal for attack.
The 'Canal was another strategic choke point on supply lines, if the Japanese had maintained control of their airbase.

Ray Spruance was God at Midway.
And he was put in, to many's surprise, at Nimitz's behest on the advice of Halsey.
I always remember this quote from Midway (great flick IMHO), and even though it's Henry Fonda as Nimitz who says it, point is he knew he could count on Spruance to take on the job:
Midway5.jpg

Rochefort: We've already won a great victory, Admiral. Maybe we oughta get our people out of there.
Admiral Nimitz: "You mean... break off, run for home?"
Lt. Comm. Rochefort: Before they can hurt us again. Yes, sir. Admiral
Nimitz: "Well, that might be the smart play, Commander. Trouble is, I want that fourth carrier."
And he was right.
On both counts.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
I did three papers on Midway, one in 6th grade, one in 9th and one in college.

I can draw a Dauntless better than the guy who designed it!!!

Still get tickled when the WWII planes come to Hancock airbase in Syracuse. Got to sit in a B-17F, a B-24 Liberator, (the pig), and my all time fave the Thunderbolt

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did three papers on Midway, one in 6th grade, one in 9th and one in college.

I can draw a Dauntless better than the guy who designed it!!!

Still get tickled when the WWII planes come to Hancock airbase in Syracuse. Got to sit in a B-17F, a B-24 Liberator, (the pig), and my all time fave the Thunderbolt

Yeah I was a WWII buff myself, loved looking at all that stuff as a kid.
Still do in fact.
Had a model of a Thunderbolt as a kid but still thought the P-38 was w-a-a-y sexier...but the documentaries on History Channel and others still bring out tidbits of info I'd never hear before, and I keep getting new respect for men and equipment I just never knew enough about.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It was that bit, by Stuball that made me thing CA- had a father involved, somehow.

And I thought maybe he thought my comment about "Hearing the story so many times" meant "from my father".
But what the hey, I'm sure he put 2 and 2 together after the next coupla posts.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's so cool to see this kind of exploration with such a great result. And, let me add, if this helps bring closure to crew members' families, that's a really outstanding result.