2018 Gibson SG Special

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Was out of town yesterday and stopped in at a guitar center since we don’t have any near where I live. I never expect to walk into GC and be amazed by the stuff they have, just to preface. I saw an SG on the wall with mini humbuckers that intrigued me and asked the associate to pull it down for me.
Looked it over, was surprised it was a special since it had the block inlays. I love the satin finished Gibsons, I have always felt they played well without the gloss neck. Plugged it into an AC4 with a 12” in it. After dialing in the tone a bit I was truly blown away by it. Sat and played for about 20 minutes on it. While I will say it could have benefited from a nice setup, but it played very well and the tones I got from both pickups were spectacular. I honestly would have brought it home if my wife wouldn’t kill me. Guess I’ll be saving up for one, price o them isn’t bad at all either.
So I’ll end by saying this all made me laugh a little. I had spent Saturday at a high end store playing a handful of early 70s SGs, this special played much nicer to me and it’s tone was on par with what I got out of the vintage ones.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I've got a '73 SG Special with the mini humbuckers. Love those pickups! Lively guitar acoustically too. It's got a chunky neck, though the narrow nut width isn't for everyone. Very light: ~6.5 lbs.

I'd say go for it.

-Dave-

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I've got a '73 SG Special with the mini humbuckers. Love those pickups! Lively guitar acoustically too. It's got a chunky neck, though the narrow nut width isn't for everyone. Very light: ~6.5 lbs.

I'd say go for it.

-Dave-

Neck on this one felt on the narrow side for a Gibson. I was actually impressed. The minis were splendid in it. It did also sound nice unplugged. It reminded me of an early 80s Les Paul Firebrand I once had to be honest.