A Proper Jumbo 12-String

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Counting chickens before they hatch, I just happened into (well, a tip from TX, of course) an extremely nice, practically new old stock, 2011 New Hartford Guild 17" lower bout jumbo 12-string! Solid mahogany back and sides, cutaway, with DTAR wavelength, which makes it an F-212XLCE! The soundboard looks like AAA sitka. There's not a mark on this guitar, and the silking on the top is unbelievable!

It's got a jumbo Guild 12-string sound, but it's different from my Corona-built JF30-12, which is a killer 12. I'll have to study that comparison more.

It was such a good deal, I couldn't exactly turn it down, now could I? It was up on reverb something like four months. The seller had reduced the price 18% at some point. And he had a Make Offer. :tiger: So I threw in an offer of another 20% price cut and was surprised it was quickly accepted. Pleasantly. Especially now that I've got it in my hands, and it's in essentially perfect condition! Another excellent tip, TX!

wha832.jpg

wha829.jpg

wha835.jpg

wha837.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That is just Flat out Sexy Cougar! Looks even better than it did in the ad. As an owner of one of these early F212XL's from New Hartford I have to say they are Awesome Instruments. Congrats man on another Great Guild. I have to ask though, How does the wee little Martin Hog 12 string match up to this one in tone and play ability?

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the club and nice score . Top does look sweet .

This is a mighty fine 12 with great hog goodness awesome fundamentals.

Just to say some folks like really low action on 12’s but I feel strongly that your sacrificing tone and volume by having it to low.

I have yet to raise mine but I’m set up to it .
This is a killer guitar . 😁

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks even better than it did in the ad.

It really is!

As an owner of one of these early F212XL's from New Hartford I have to say they are Awesome Instruments.

Man, do I ever agree!

I have to ask though, How does the wee little Martin Hog 12 string match up to this one in tone and play ability?

I had to take that in to get it set up. Tell you right now, there's no comparison.

This is a killer guitar . 😁

I just dropped the low E to D and laid a pick on her unplugged. I see now that she is every bit in JF30-12's league. Yes, I've got to break out the Tascam DR-05 to show you what I'm talking about!

And that's 17-1/4" lower bout!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
17 1/4 cool never measured mine . I await

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats on a spectacular NH12... the cutaway rocks... great photos too, that guitar is flat-out beautiful!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats on a spectacular NH12... the cutaway rocks... great photos too, that guitar is flat-out beautiful!

Thanks, Bonneville. Cutaway is not really my preferred look, but it's awfully practical, and I do a modicum of fretting up the neck, especially with a capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret, so it could come in very handy!

F312

Reaction score
That is sweet looking all the way around.

Ralph

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nothing like any 12er made in New Hartford, Cougar!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken Cougar the serial number I saw on yours in the ad has it being made 3 days after mine was. Probably the reason both of ours have that Silky/bear claw Sitka Spruce top as they most likely were made from the same batch of wood.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken Cougar the serial number I saw on yours in the ad has it being made 3 days after mine was. Probably the reason both of ours have that Silky/bear claw Sitka Spruce top as they most likely were made from the same batch of wood.

TX

Yeah totally jealous 😑

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Yeah, mine is N0230005. What's all that mean? LOL! The top is definitely exceptional.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I am not mistaken Cougar the serial number I saw on yours in the ad has it being made 3 days after mine was.

Was your seller Matt's Music in Monroe, LA, too? Very pleased with this seller!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is N0230005. What's all that mean? LOL! The top is definitely exceptional.

N= New Hartford, O=2011, 023="Julian Calendar" day for that year or in this case January 23, 005=5th guitar made that day.

Mine was made on the 20th of January 2011.

Was your seller Matt's Music in Monroe, LA, too? Very pleased with this seller!

Nope, Mine came from a Guitar Shop in Colorado that was also straight forward and spot on with shipping, description, and great communication.

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That is sweet looking all the way around.

Thanks, F312. It's a kick to play!

Hey, 'grats, Cougar!!!!! Not a ton of those cutaways around. Great score!

Thanks, Chazmo. There just aren't many New Hartford builds around these days for that matter! I thought Matt's would come back with a counter offer, but no, my offer was just accepted. Love when that happens!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
N= New Hartford, O=2011, 023="Julian Calendar" day for that year or in this case January 23, 005=5th guitar made that day.

Mine was made on the 20th of January 2011.

. . .

TX, I think you added a zero in there before the day, i.e., I think it was day 230, not 23... That guitar completed final assembly on 18-Aug-2011, Cougar.