Well, this doesn't sound right.

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I asked a reverb seller to measure the nut of a 1998 F-30 that they were selling (it is a music store, not an individual) since it seems that 1 11/16" doesn't always = 1 11/16" in the real world.

They came back with this:

"Hi there!

We measured the nut and it came out to 1 7/8"

Let us know if you have any more questions."

I don't think they are trying to mislead, they just suck at measuring. :distracted:

bobouz

Reaction score
Nope, not quite!

1998 is definitely within the years where it could be a very skinny profile, so maybe someone a bit more comfortable with fractions could re-measure that baby!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I asked a reverb seller to measure the nut of a 1998 F-30 that they were selling (it is a music store, not an individual) since it seems that 1 11/16" doesn't always = 1 11/16" in the real world.

They came back with this:

"Hi there!

We measured the nut and it came out to 1 7/8"

Let us know if you have any more questions."

I don't think they are trying to mislead, they just suck at measuring.

Hey baoubengal,

There's no way for me to know whether that person did measure the width at the nut correctly or not, but it is very well possible that the nut on that particular guitar is 1-3/4" wide or something close to that.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

geoguy

Reaction score
Perhaps you can ask them for a photo showing their measuring device positioned across the nut?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe it’s a special case, as Hans possibly hinted, but I can tell you that my ‘99 F-30 is definitely 1-11/16” at the nut.

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Hey baoubengal,

There's no way for me to know whether that person did measure the width at the nut correctly or not, but it is very well possible that the nut on that particular guitar is 1-3/4" wide or something close to that.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans--
So it could be a "one off" of some kind? Thanks for your expertise!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hans--
So it could be a "one off" of some kind? Thanks for your expertise!

Not to butt in, but yes we've seen examples of that particularly in '93-'94 on "DV" guitars that were spec'd for 1-11/16 but actually have 1-3/4.
I think Guild may simply periodically built batches that way simply to make the width available, or it was possible the instrument was special ordered with a 1-3/4 nut. They were very flexible about special orders.
Because their lit always said specs were subject to change without notice, it would be easy for 'em to change a spec at will.
Normally that's seen as a means of allowing for substitution of material in case of a sudden shortage of a spec'd material used for a model.
In this case I now truly believe a running spec change like this was for the purpose mentioned above, to put some variety in the model to make 'em more accessible to a broader customer base.
Don't like skinny nuts? Check again in 6 months, see what I mean?
Another potential is there were a couple of very short-lived models listed in the '96 catalog, A25 and A50, that were spec'd with 1-3/4 nuts, and that means that they had tooling for it as a standard width at the time.
I can see then that it's also possible that they used unused necks from those on later F30s, since Guild was also known for being loath to waste perfectly good parts.
Hans likes to keep things simple and is short of time, I suspect that may be why he simply confirmed that something very close to 1-3/4 was definitely possible at the time.
I'm just trying to help out with observations that could explain how it could happen.
I'm actually starting to dig the fact that there is so much potential individual variation even between same year models.
PS something else just occurs to me, that Hans has repeatedly mentioned that marketing materials contained errors and thus it's possible that the most commonly listed 1-11/16" spec is actually incorrect sometimes!

Last edited:

marius

Reaction score
I only see one 98 F30 on Reverb so I'm assuming it's the one at Music Go Round? I should be in the area tomorrow and can swing in, get you a good measurement, and look it over.

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I only see one 98 F30 on Reverb so I'm assuming it's the one at Music Go Round? I should be in the area tomorrow and can swing in, get you a good measurement, and look it over.

Yes, that is the one. If you get over there, I would appreciate your input. If you end up buying it, no hard feelings. :biggrin-new:

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Not to butt in, but yes we've seen examples of that particularly in '93-'94 on "DV" guitars that were spec'd for 1-11/16 but actually have 1-3/4.
I think Guild may simply periodically built batches that way simply to make the width available, or it was possible the instrument was special ordered with a 1-3/4 nut. They were very flexible about special orders.
Because their lit always said specs were subject to change without notice, it would be easy for 'em to change a spec at will.
Normally that's seen as a means of allowing for substitution of material in case of a sudden shortage of a spec'd material used for a model.
In this case I now truly believe a running spec change like this was for the purpose mentioned above, to put some variety in the model to make 'em more accessible to a broader customer base.
Don't like skinny nuts? Check again in 6 months, see what I mean?
Another potential is there were a couple of very short-lived models listed in the '96 catalog, A25 and A50, that were spec'd with 1-3/4 nuts, and that means that they had tooling for it as a standard width at the time.
I can see then that it's also possible that they used unused necks from those on later F30s, since Guild was also known for being loath to waste perfectly good parts.
Hans likes to keep things simple and is short of time, I suspect that may be why he simply confirmed that something very close to 1-3/4 was definitely possible at the time.
I'm just trying to help out with observations that could explain how it could happen.
I'm actually starting to dig the fact that there is so much potential individual variation even between same year models.
PS something else just occurs to me, that Hans has repeatedly mentioned that marketing materials contained errors and thus it's possible that the most commonly listed 1-11/16" spec is actually incorrect sometimes!

I'm grateful for the knowledge. Thanks!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh DEAR GOD frustration at it's HIGHEST...... I thought I could convince you that there are variations. Both my 1994 Guilds are 1 3/4 nut widths. They are. But of course people will doubt. So I KNEW how to combat that. I ran out to the garage after the recent move and got both the regular caliper and the one the relies on batteries. So I find amongst the debris and detrius of our move and there is the best caliper we have!! And I hauled out both Guilds from 94 to prove the point. And of course the battery is dead. I SWEAR if one more thing goes wrong tonight you can find me in the LOCKED WARD!!! Okay??

Sorry for the melt down, guys but.... once we find a new battery for the "good" caliper.... I'll show you proof they they ain't all 1 11/16". Okay?

Save me, I'm going nuts.......

If I try to send this post and it hangs up..... I'm effing DONE!!

But why wouldn't a guitar shop have a caliper (like mine that has a dead battery) and just show you a photo, you know? This is easy stuff isn't it? Well, apparently not in LAS VEGAS it isn't but...... shouldn't they???

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm taking deep breaths. Dude, if they say it's whatever size, if they're a decent guitar shop they should be able to show you. I will tomorrow or so after a new battery...... and they should do the same. This isn't Rocket Surgery.... you know? :hororr:

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Oh DEAR GOD frustration at it's HIGHEST...... I thought I could convince you that there are variations. Both my 1994 Guilds are 1 3/4 nut widths. They are. But of course people will doubt. So I KNEW how to combat that. I ran out to the garage after the recent move and got both the regular caliper and the one the relies on batteries. So I find amongst the debris and detrius of our move and there is the best caliper we have!! And I hauled out both Guilds from 94 to prove the point. And of course the battery is dead. I SWEAR if one more thing goes wrong tonight you can find me in the LOCKED WARD!!! Okay??

Sorry for the melt down, guys but.... once we find a new battery for the "good" caliper.... I'll show you proof they they ain't all 1 11/16". Okay?

Save me, I'm going nuts.......

If I try to send this post and it hangs up..... I'm effing DONE!!

But why wouldn't a guitar shop have a caliper (like mine that has a dead battery) and just show you a photo, you know? This is easy stuff isn't it? Well, apparently not in LAS VEGAS it isn't but...... shouldn't they???

I believe you!

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I'm taking deep breaths. Dude, if they say it's whatever size, if they're a decent guitar shop they should be able to show you. I will tomorrow or so after a new battery...... and they should do the same. This isn't Rocket Surgery.... you know? :hororr:
Exactly.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
None battery operated tape measures work even if their broke unless the broke part is the end you need but you could always start a different number . Example fer you smart folks if ya start at 3” and the width stops at 3 and 11/16 ths that tell’n ya the width of the nut is 3 11/16th wide yup that’s how ya do it .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
None battery operated tape measures work even if their broke unless the broke part is the end you need but you could always start a different number . Example fer you smart folks if ya start at 3” and the width stops at 3 and 11/16 ths that tell’n ya the width of the nut is 3 11/16th wide yup that’s how ya do it .

If you start at 3" and the overall measurement comes out to 3-11/16", Wouldn't that make the nut width 11/16" wide? LOL, you crack me up sometimes Ray. Your concept however is right on the money. In the world of Fabrication we refer to it as burning an inch or however many inches on a tape measure to get a more accurate overall dimension.:tongue-new:

TX