More Photobucket scumbaggery

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just logged into my Photobucket account for the first time and found some interesting notations in the library of pics I uploaded. Several of them had “This person has moved or deleted this item” instead of my pic. When I clicked on one of the thumbnails that was showing, instead of the pic came:
cddca1aa-6f8d-48ab-9783-3a877fe2d0a9.png

So, basically, we can’t even access our own pics, regardless of sharing them, without paying ransom.

Hope everyone has them saved on their devices.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
All my photos are on my computer and backed up. All my photobucket pics are jpeg copies. Still sucks that I can't access them, though!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got the same thing. In my case the photos were there when I flipped through the album photo-by-photo.

This plug-in for Google's Chrome browser (on Windows 10), worked for me to bulk download my Photobucket library. It does not appear to grab videos.

I'm linking to the developer's page, not the Chrome Web store: [url]https://sharecoding.wordpress.com/photobucket-downloader/[/URL]

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This makes me really glad I've never used Photobucket. I really don't know how they stay in business pissing off so many potential paying customers like they have.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd like to say it's unbelievable, but as someone in the industry it's totally what I expect. This is why I never use anything in the cloud.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do think that until/unless Google becomes a dinosaur, they won't start charging for their services. Let's hope not, anyway.

To be honest, I'm not sure what PB's business model ever was, if any. It's just a sign that important resources on the internet can and will disappear. Wikipedia is another example that I could see vanishing. They've successfully begged for money for a long time, but it's not much of a business model.

Anyway, using imgur now concerns me as who knows what the owner (Alan Schaaf) will do with the thing over time. That said, I think it's the only game in town for free hosting.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyway, using imgur now concerns me as who knows what the owner (Alan Schaaf) will do with the thing over time. That said, I think it's the only game in town for free hosting.
Wordpress

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
This makes me really glad I've never used Photobucket. I really don't know how they stay in business pissing off so many potential paying customers like they have.

I used their printing services quite a bit. They did a pretty decent job for price. Unfortunately, they've lost me!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to imagine that at some point they'll catch on and clamp down on that, but then again I'm not sure I can see how they would.
They’d have to shut down all the blogs, which is their whole operation.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Back up...back up...and back up! I keep stuff in the Cloud but also keep stuff on external hard drives.