Played a new Oxnard Made D55 Today

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
As the title states I has the chance to play a new Oxnard D55 today at my local Mom and pop shop. I was in there to get a thorough evaluation done on a Guild that just showed up at my doorstep last night and had some time to kill so I gave it a whirl. Granted I tried to go into the experience with as open of a mind as possible.

First off the guitar seemed a bit smaller than my New Hartford made D55's. It was almost like it was a 7/8's version of the previous D55's in size and feel. I was not the only one who noticed this as my friend who works at the store said that was the first thing he noticed when it came out of the box. Next to other Dreads in the display you could even see the difference in width and length of the body. The neck was also smaller in width and profile than my New Hartford models which made it feel extremely cramped to play. If I had to guess I would say the nut width was closer to 1.68" like an electric model where as my NH models are all 1.72" and wider. The string spacing also felt considerably more narrow as well when fingerpicking. The tone was extremely thin sounding and no where near as full as what I have come to expect from a Guild D55 of any era. It sounded more like half of a D55 to be honest. It mostly reminded me of that Bright Tinny sound that Taylors are known for so that was extremely disappointing coming from a Guild Flagship model. There was no depth to the tone at all. Could just be that it is new and needs some playtime but even new my other D55's had much more of a Rich tone to them.

Now on to fit and finish! The sides were of a Beautifully figured rosewood but the back pieces were kind of Blah in their appearance and even had a completely different color to them. The top looked nice and had some silking to it. However there were some finish issues that I think were unacceptable for a $3500+ guitar to leave the factory with. There was a considerable notch in the side of the ebony bridge wing. The Nitro finish was much thicker than any of my other D55's including my Corona Models. Also there was already finish crackling along the entire fretboard extension where it meets the top along both sides from the neck joint to the soundhole. There was also a small but noticeable amount of run out in the top.

Overall I was extremely disappointed with that representation of a D55. It felt more like a replica of a nice guitar than an actual quality made guitar in my hands. I found the tone considerably lacking and there was no "wow" factor at all in any aspect of the guitar. To me it sounded and felt pretty cheap. I went in hoping for the best and after a few minutes all of my hopes for a new beginning were dashed. Hopefully this guitar is just an isolated incident but my heart tells me otherwise.

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hey TX!
I've been anxiously waiting for feedback on Guild flagship models coming out of Oxnard. I'm really glad you got your hands on a D55...

Wow, that's so disappointing! How can they mess with a perfect formula? Ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I can only imagine what the rest of the flagship models will look and sound like. I just can't get my head around it, why do you figure they thought they needed to change the specs?

Ok, so does this mean my NH D55 just went up in value, or are the new ones from Oxnard gonna drag us down?

This really sucks! :hororr::hororr::hororr:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they changed the specs or not on them to tell you the truth Clyde. A big part of that perfect formula out of New Hartford was the folks that were building the guitars in New Hartford. Hopefully this was an isolated incident. Originally I had wanted to buy a D55 form Oxnard to have one in the collection but after that "Test Drive" I won't be purchasing one anytime soon.

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I don't know if they changed the specs or not on them to tell you the truth Clyde.

I understood from your post that the body dimensions were smaller, also the neck width and profile, nut, string spacing, etc. I would say that's "changing the specs". If it were just a case of sloppy fit and finish, it wouldn't be so bad cause you'd think they'll make em better as time goes on. But it sounds to me like they're screwing around with the formula, which in my mind is a no-go...

I need a drink.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well done, thorough review and not very good news for Cordoba.
We can only hope that this is an isolated incident and even though the sound might not compare with an older/broken in guitar, the noticeable visuals that you pointed out don't sound good at all.
The nut width alone is some concern, so I'll hang on to my $3,500...if I get it that is. :courage:

Thanks,
Joe

Grassdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the review TX. If the tone doesn't inspire, well, that's a real problem. Hopefully over time we'll see improvements. I wonder what they're trying to accomplish with the changes (perhaps following the trend toward junior size models we see with other brands)?

It make take some time, but I think eventually the NH models are going to become highly sought after, and the prices will start to reflect that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say the nut width was closer to 1.68" like an electric model where as my NH models are all 1.72" and wider. The string spacing also felt considerably more narrow as well when fingerpicking
What's confusing me here is that the nut width has been consistently spec'd at 1-11/16 or 1.6875 since like forever, right?
And Cordoba does show a 1-11/16 spec on their site, for what that's worth.
So isn't a 1.68 closer to spec than 1.72 which is almost the proverbial 1-3/4" nut?
Possibly you were thinking of the 1-5/8" nuts that were the old "narrow" spec ? (and which I don't think ever got used after Corona)
Maybe a "nit pick" but it may help folks wrap their heads around the nut width better if you can confirm that.
Example My F65ce came with 1-5/8" and I experience exactly what you describe when I go to it fresh from one of the dreads but otherwise it's livable.
Some folks here can't tolerate something that narrow at all, though.

First off the guitar seemed a bit smaller than my New Hartford made D55's. It was almost like it was a 7/8's version of the previous D55's in size and feel.
TX

A-HA!
Somehow they got the D55 specs mixed up with F40 specs.
The F40's too big and the D55's too small.
Should we clue 'em in?
Do you think they'll read this in time?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sad news indeed, in the miscellaneous section there was one post that had a demo . I found the guitar excessively boomy of coarse nothing about dimensions where mentioned and since you had your hands on it the spec sheet on site should match up right ?
Anyway though doubt was given to my comment about its sound I stand my ground and after hearing your take Tx it seems consistency is not first and foremost rather getting it out there is most disturbing.

But I will keep the faith.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes Adorshki the spec in New Hartford was Always listed as 1-11/16" nut width on most of the Traditional series models including the D55 which is 1.6875" like you mentioned. However all of my New Hartford Model Acoustics spec'ed with a 1-11/16" nut width including the 2 New Hartford D55's I have owned are actually between 1.72" and 1.75". My Corona D55 is spec'ed at 1-11/16" and it is almost a full 1.75" nut width with a nice Chunky neck profile. I have seen the same nut width being wider than spec'ed throughout several NH made 6 strings models over all years of production.

Maybe that means Cordoba did read into and reproduce the exact "Listed" specs which has resulted in the narrower nut width which is actually accurate to the specs now. Talk about making sure no one follows in your footsteps, Way to go New Hartford, LOL. The depth of the neck also felt so shallow like someone shaved a full 1/4" off of it but I am positive that measurement is an exaggeration, It Just felt that way.

I also know these new Cordoba models are built for Light gauge strings only where as New Hartford models were mostly made for Mediums. I am thinking that might have something to do with the cheap and Dinky feeling the guitar had in my hands when compared to the New Hartford models. I can also say that the volume and tone hit it's ceiling rather quickly and turned muddy when strummed with medium force. Not even Hard strumming. When I sit in that same acoustic room with one of my New Hartford D55's and play whether fingerpicking or Strumming the Crystal Clear sound fills the entire room and folks start to pop their head into the Acoustic room which is about 50'x50' to see what is going on. When I played the Cordoba model the sound got muddy and truthfully only filled a small area around me. It didn't even begin to fill up the room. That is what was most disappointing to me about the guitar. You have this Guild D55 and you expect the clouds to part with the heavens opening up when you strum it and instead you just get this feeling of like, "Is this thing on?" even though it is just an Acoustic.

TX

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. As I've posted in the past, I was part of a benefit concert with a couple who both had Oxnard D-55s. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to play either one, but didn't notice an obvious difference in the body size, although I didn't hold either one up to mine. I didn't get a good chance to hear the sound when they played, as their less than stellar vocals were distracting. I guess I'll hold off on ordering an F-50R until I get a chance to play one.
Brad

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes Adorshki the spec in New Hartford was Always listed as 1-11/16" nut width on most of the Traditional series models including the D55 which is 1.6875" like you mentioned. However all of my New Hartford Model Acoustics spec'ed with a 1-11/16" nut width including the 2 New Hartford D55's I have owned are actually between 1.72" and 1.75". My Corona D55 is spec'ed at 1-11/16" and it is almost a full 1.75" nut width with a nice Chunky neck profile. I have seen the same nut width being wider than spec'ed throughout several NH made 6 strings models over all years of production
Got it, thanks. I don't ever recall you going into that detail before.
Maybe that means Cordoba did read into and reproduce the exact "Listed" specs which has resulted in the narrower nut width which is actually accurate to the specs now. Talk about making sure no one follows in your footsteps, Way to go New Hartford, LOL. The depth of the neck also felt so shallow like someone shaved a full 1/4" off of it but I am positive that measurement is an exaggeration, It Just felt that way.
Which interestingly enough sounds like a description of both my late Westerly necks. I used to love it and thought the D40 was "chunky" but now I'm finding the D40 more comfortable than before, in some ways better than the Westerlys now. It's actually easier for scales up around the middle of the neck.

I also know these new Cordoba models are built for Light gauge strings only where as New Hartford models were mostly made for Mediums.
I'll never forget the first time I saw the report that the top radius had been changed at New Hartford, that's when the light went on and I thought "Aha! THAT's how they're handling the mediums!"
I assume they made the radius a little shorter, ie a very slightly "rounder" top which would distribute the stress better, maybe it "rings" better too.
Had to go to the Guild site to see if anything jumped out at me, but no, they show all the traditional specs: 16" lower bout width, 5" depth at bass bout, 20" long body, even scalloped adi bracing and "improved dovetail neck joint".
Yeah I know I don't walk around with a tape measure when I go to guitar stores either, but "body memory" 's real, if it actually felt smaller I'd be curious if it really did measure up to specs, or is it maybe that NH was a tiny bit larger?
I never really paid close attention to their specs, never expected to be seriously in the market for one.
I suspect I'm not the only one here who depends on you for that.
:glee:

I am thinking that might have something to do with the cheap and Dinky feeling the guitar had in my hands when compared to the New Hartford models. I can also say that the volume and tone hit it's ceiling rather quickly and turned muddy when strummed with medium force. Not even Hard strumming. When I sit in that same acoustic room with one of my New Hartford D55's and play whether fingerpicking or Strumming the Crystal Clear sound fills the entire room and folks start to pop their head into the Acoustic room which is about 50'x50' to see what is going on. When I played the Cordoba model the sound got muddy and truthfully only filled a small area around me. It didn't even begin to fill up the room. That is what was most disappointing to me about the guitar. You have this Guild D55 and you expect the clouds to part with the heavens opening up when you strum it and instead you just get this feeling of like, "Is this thing on?" even though it is just an Acoustic.
TX
Just wow. Reminds me of my feelings about my D40 when I first got it, expecting it to "outboom" the D25, it was a Richie Havens signature model for pete's sake...one of the reasons I didn't even bother to play it before taking it home.
Took 10 years to find its voice.
Hopefully it's just a "dud" D55 even though that in itself is not too good of an entry to the market. I don't even want to think about waiting 10 years for it to open up. Only got enough time in my life for one of those.

geoguy

Reaction score
Interesting review, Tex.

I wonder if your preference for medium gauge strings (and possibly a strong right hand) adversely affected your opinion of this new instrument's tone, with light gauge strings.

Just checked Guild's website to see who might be a current Guild dealer in my area . . . turns out that Union Music is only a "service center" now, so presumably they would not stock new US-built Guilds. :chargrined:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting review, Tex.

I wonder if your preference for medium gauge strings (and possibly a strong right hand) adversely affected your opinion of this new instrument's tone, with light gauge strings.

Actually I don't think so as I run Lights or Light HD's on all my Guilds now due to my weaker left arm and shoulder. I have a much more developed sense of touch when I play especially from playing the Orpheums I have. There was no discernible difference in string tension from what I play on my New Hartford Guilds and what was on the Oxnard offering. The only time I run mediums any more is if I am tuning down a 1/2 step which according to the tension calculator is the same tension as playing lights at standard tuning.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually I don't think so as I run Lights or Light HD's on all my Guilds now due to my weaker left arm and shoulder. I have a much more developed sense of touch when I play especially from playing the Orpheums I have. There was no discernible difference in string tension from what I play on my New Hartford Guilds and what was on the Oxnard offering. The only time I run mediums any more is if I am tuning down a 1/2 step which according to the tension calculator is the same tension as playing lights at standard tuning.
TX
It occurs to me by way of "comparison" I started tuning my F65ce a whole step down a couple of months ago and love it to death.
It was an open suggestion from fellow owner Marcellis so I figured what the heck I'll give it a try.
First thing I noticed was how much longer and cleaner that last bent and held note in a scale rings now, and the bass strings picked up a bit more growl and oompf, and I'll be darned if I can hear any difference in volume.
This using custom light 11-52 on a guitar spec'd for 10-49.
Point being, here's a design that doesn't seem to care and even seems to sound better when it's under-tensioned. (Or maybe it was Westerly's dirty little secret?, LOL!!)
Granted it's a pretty thin top and as a cutaway bracing might be a little different, but it's a shallow F40-sized body.
What did Westerly know that maybe Cordoba doesn't?
The only drawback is yes tuning stability is a wee bit wonky as Davisman warned about.
I'm hoping the bridge reglue'll fix that when I finally get to it sometime this year.

Last edited:

geoguy

Reaction score
Offering this as another data point . . . I don't recall previously seeing this video clip.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You guys aren't just used to lowered tunings you've been playing with, are you ? Just a thought.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You guys aren't just used to lowered tunings you've been playing with, are you ? Just a thought.

Not me, I play all my Guilds at Standard tuning on a regular basis the majority of the time. If I have a specific need for playing or recording down a half a step Then I would restring with mediums but a lot of times I just use the lights that are already on the guitar. Both of my D55's stay in Standard tuning with light gauge strings on them and that is the way they are played 99.9% of the time.

TX

idealassets

Reaction score
The guitar in the video sounds like a typical D55 to me. Are we certain it was made by Cordoba, or may it be a carry over guitar from New Hartford?

I take into account this guitarist's light playing touch as being his particular style. Is it perhaps that this is the type of sound that Cordoba is constructing guitars to sound like?

Last edited: