Guild's Heyday years...

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
Dick Boak of Martin used to tell stories about how the receptionist at Martin sent everyone who stopped by the factory down the road to a local music store to check out their Martin inventory...people like Bob Dylan, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Eric Clapton and the like. They finally put in an artist development program and offer factory tours for the rank and file, as I am sure that Taylor and Gibson have also done.

One thing I have noticed on the television front is that many contestants on The Voice often show up at try-outs with one type of guitar, but if they make it onto the live shows they somehow acquire Taylors or Gibsons for the big broadcasts. The cameras try to hide the headstock logos as best they can, but they do focus on the body of the guitar. The Taylor pickguard shape or a Gibson Hummingbird just jump into your mind. Guild should try that, the classic pickguard would immediately identify the guitar to those who might be interested.

Well, I guess I rambled away from the original topic. Back to practice.

CK

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I think I'd shop pre 74 or New Hartford if I were looking. I'd need to play anything else to be comfortable. I also generally prefer the flatback, but that is very subjective.

There are undoubtedly numerous exceptions, however, if I were pressed to sum up the heyday years I agree with Br1ck's statement above....and my signature affirms my belief and/or exhibits my bias.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, wow, thanks for that, Grot! I, too, thought they were awesome. Plus, I had a ton of fun helping and getting the gang together. It was truly my honor to be associated with all you folks in that way!

I just hope there are future occasions for such fun and celebration for we, the Guildy. We do deserve it! :) :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
To me Guild's heyday years were in the late '60's/early '70's when a number of notable artists where photographed playing their personal Guilds in performance situations - most notable Tommy Smothers, John Denver, Richie Havens, Nick Drake, Dave Van Ronk, Duane Eddy, and Mississippi John Hurt. Guild was their guitar of choice, while other big name performers may have played Guild (Clapton, Paul Simon, etc) it is not the brand that they are associated with. Heck, that list even has particular models associated with the musicians - D-55, F50R Artist & F 612, D-40, M-20, F-50, DE 400, and F-30.

The workmanship periods at Guild may have been better at certain times and locations, but the artist heyday was certainly 1970, give or take a few years either direction.

Just my .02 on this subject, FWIW.

CK

Ah I like that take and I agree, except for the Nick Drake thing.
That's been pretty well proven to be a myth created by the presence of an M20 on an album cover (from an interview with the photographer) which we're pretty sure he never actually recorded with and probably never performed with either.
Let's replace him with Zal Yanovski from the Lovin' Spoonful.
:friendly_wink:
And I've always said ya can't get much more iconic and have better creds than opening the granddaddy of all music festivals like Richie Havens did at Woodstock.
And let's not forget the Kinks and Casady and Lesh from the psychedelic city by the bay.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
New Hartford was explicit in stating that they did not want to sell instruments at the factory because doing so undercut their dealers and their relationship with their dealers. On a couple of the LMGs you could look at new instruments, and if you wanted to leave with one, a phone call was made to an Authorized Dealer (I think it was Street Sounds at least one year), words were exchanged and people left with a new guitar purchased though the dealer but picked up at the factory.

swiveltung

Reaction score
The Westerly's would be my Guild heyday period. That would be... late 60's to late 90's, early 2000's I guess.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I was to rerack my Guild holdings, I would focus on the Gruhn era guitars.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
New Hartford was explicit in stating that they did not want to sell instruments at the factory because doing so undercut their dealers and their relationship with their dealers.
Right, and that's a time honored element of franchising a dealer for anything ever since I've worked in sales and probably goes way back to beginnings of mass production requiring distribution through local dealers.
Who in turn want that protection from saturation in their market and/or competition from the maker.
Most manufacturers don't want to be retail sales organizations in the first place, either.
Guild got it right at both ends by doing that.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would have to say the finest Guilds were built Pre-Fender ownership in the late 90's at the New Waverly facility.:victorious:

TX

Reaction score
There are a few places here in Southern California that have vintage guitars and, when I can, I stop in and play a few. Of course being a fan of Guilds, that’s where I go first. So I get a chance to play a lot of Westerlys. There are hardly ever any Tacoma or NH models around. And I have played some darn nice Westerlys! One of my Jf30s is a Westerly, one is a Corona, my G41 is a Westerly, my F50s are Tacomas and NH. Not a bad one in the bunch!
Having said that, the ones I teach for more often are my Tacoma F50r’s. Big, lush, gorgeous tone, ease of playing and very articulate!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My jf65 and dv52 are both Westerly's and love them. Presently, looking for a nice D40 and this thread has me hoping I run across a NH made.

tommym

Reaction score
.... "when was Guild's heyday?".....

I would have to rank the New Hartford's as the best Guilds I have ever played / owned, but would still say that Westerly was Guild's golden era based on the cool variety of guitars that rolled out the door. Given enough time, I think New Hartford would have taken that crown too.

Tommy

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would have to say the finest Guilds were built Pre-Fender ownership in the late 90's at the New Waverly facility.:victorious:

TX

You're making a good run at the Title of Resident Comedian. :) Thanks.

Since heyday means different things to different people, at its peak, Westerly produced about about 25,000 guitars in a year. In contrast 5,000/year was rumored to be the target production for NH Guilds and it was rumored to be within reach, but not met, when NH production ended.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I'll point out that the older I get, the more set in my ways I am. I'd like to think it was from hard won experience, but alas, much of it has no basis in actual anything. For instance, how irrational is it that I will never own an Orpheum because I don't like the script logo. Same for any Santa Cruz with the script instead of the SCGC logo. That's just how it is.

I don't go looking for trouble and none of the stores I visit stock any Oxnard product so I may never try one. NowI'd try my luck with New Hartford or old Westerly, but would have to play anything else.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
To me Guild's heyday years were in the late '60's/early '70's when a number of notable artists where photographed playing their personal Guilds in performance situations - most notable Tommy Smothers, John Denver, Richie Havens, Nick Drake, Dave Van Ronk, Duane Eddy, and Mississippi John Hurt. Guild was their guitar of choice, while other big name performers may have played Guild (Clapton, Paul Simon, etc) it is not the brand that they are associated with. Heck, that list even has particular models associated with the musicians - D-55, F50R Artist & F 612, D-40, M-20, F-50, DE 400, and F-30.

The workmanship periods at Guild may have been better at certain times and locations, but the artist heyday was certainly 1970, give or take a few years either direction.

Just my .02 on this subject, FWIW.

CK

This is the correct answer for Guild.
Guild has been held back from it's rise to the top because of all the moves that it has had over the years.
It's a tribute to the quality of the guitars that they have made it this far.

But the best for Guild as far and popularity goes, it was the Great Folk Scare of the 60's and 70's.

Perhaps Guilds real heyday is yet to come!