Does The Serial Number match the year given for this F-112?

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly.
In this ad the seller claims this F-112 is a 1960's guitar.

In the fourth photo I read the serial number on the back of the headstock as 143926. Wouldn't that make it a 1976? The shape at the bottom seems to look more like a 70's as well.

Am I missing something here?

Guild F-112 1960s Wood
https://reverb.com/item/6422578-guild-f-112-1960s-wood
Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly.
In this ad the seller claims this F-112 is a 1960's guitar.

In the fourth photo I read the serial number on the back of the headstock as 143926. Wouldn't that make it a 1976? The shape at the bottom seems to look more like a 70's as well.
You're catching on real quick, Bayou, and that's how I read the chart as well.
NOT uncommon for year of manufacture to be incorrect in seller's listings, especially if they're not the original owner.

Am I missing something here?
Thanks!
Only if it's one of those oddball issues Hans would know about.
If you're seriously interested I'm sur3e he'd be happy to confirm for you.
He prefers to be contacted through his website if possible because his mailbox here fills up all the time:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
Good luck if you're after it!

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you can believe the "dating your Guild" serial number charts, '76 sounds about right:

zSskymA.jpg

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Thanks! So I'm not crazy. Well, maybe I am but not for this reason.
:smiley_simmons:

Last edited:

bert

Reaction score
Yep, my 71' F112 is ser# 61337. The rounded lower bout is the giveaway. Looks purdy good.

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
I sent a message to the Seller through reverb, but I haven't heard back. Couldn't this be a bit of a problem because the buyer could think he/she is getting a Hoboken instead of a Westerly? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Not a problem for me, because I like the Westerly shape better, but just thinking...

Last edited:

Br1ck

Reaction score
Well, I thought I had a Hoboken D 35, but what I have is a leftover label on a Westerly. Probably could pass it off if I wanted to, and plead ignorance. Those F 112s are my favorite.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I sent a message to the Seller through reverb, but I haven't heard back. Couldn't this be a bit of a problem because the buyer could think he/she is getting a Hoboken instead of a Westerly? Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Not a problem for me, because I like the Westerly shape better, but just thinking...

They were using leftover Hoboken labels in Westerly up until about '70 "IIRC" (but not later than '71, then they went through a couple of interim labels with no city named before Westerly finally appeared around '73, again, "IIRC" about the exact years. But you get the idea.)
We suspect it was simply because of Al Dronge's reputation for never throwing out perfectly usable old inventory like parts.
But there was also a short period of overlapping production, in '67-'68 at least.
All manufacturing had been relocated to Westerly by '69.
I suspect anybody who really understands they want a Hoboken is also aware of that "issue".
If they're going by the label and basing a value on the instrument because of it, then they're probably investing and should be doing their due diligence to verify authenticity anyway.
Hopefully that'll steer'em here or to Hans and they'll get the real low-down.

Last edited: