Adding a second franz to a t100

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently picked up a 1960 t100 that has been refinned and a few other small things, but it still has its original neck pickup and a few other parts. I just purchased an early franz neck pickup (and some repro covers), and plan to flop the magnets around and change the leads for a rwrp setup and use it on my t100.

The main question I have is whether the franz will top mount in the bridge position, or does it require the same rout as a neck pickup? This particular pickup does not have the lead attachment plate that hangs down off the bottom of the pickup- it appears it was removed at some point.... I do not have the new covers in hand yet, but it appears that the lead position pickup is mounted higher off the guitar under the cover....think I will have luck top mointing it? Or will I still have to cut a slit for the adjustment screws to rest in?

Thanks!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Just as a FYI, the first five or so posts from new members have to be approved. I chose to delete your duplicate, but both did get through.

Someone who might have ideas will be along momentarily.

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
Well I suppose nothing says “this is my first post” more than accidentaly posting twice ;). An additional curiosity that I have is the distance between the neck pickup and bridge pickup on a franz equipt t100d. The parts for the potential addition are slowly trickling in via the mail, but it will be a few weeks before I can dive into the project. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi El,

Sounds like a good project you got there. Typically the bridge Franz pickup only requires a small cutout about 3/8 " x 2.5". However you will want to size it to get the height correct first. One way to do this is mount it into the pickup cover and see how much of a gap in the pickup cover you have. You can then bend the pickup ears to get the height to match the covers. If that isn't sufficient you will need yo add a spacer under the bridge pup. Just take your time. Their is no harm in making the cutout larger provided the pickup covers the hole.

M

jedzep

Reaction score
I used a master woodworker/cabinet maker to make the cuts. He did a beautiful job using only photos of a dual pick up version. It turned out great but it wasn't fun threading the wire harnesses.

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

I work as a guitar tech, and this is my pet project for now...however this is a busy month for me so it will remain a single pickup for a few weeks. Oddly enough I am not too worried about the wiring aspect of the job, semi hollow guitars are always so much more of a pain, and deep hollow bodies can be a little more difficult as well. Cutting the hole needed for the pickup will be much more of a process, lots of measuring!

When I first got the guitar last week I took the harness in and out a few times, mostly due to bad planning, but it was fairly easy. I used a length of tie-line (medium/small rope/cord) that I fed through the jack hole and then out the f hole, once I had the harness back inside the guitar I would fish the jack out the f hole, then put the lock washer on the tie-line and slip the tie line through the jack just as a plug would, on the jack hole side of the tie line I slip on the washer and the nut. Then I'd tie an overhand knot in the tie-line on the backside of the jack, when you pull the line from the jack hole it pulls the jack to the hole in the right orientation and you can attach the nut to hold the jack on, then simply pull the line back through the f hole.

Once the jack is in on a two knob guitar like this its fairly easy to get the pots right where they need to go with the ole pinky in the f hole trick. When I add a switch to the upper bass bout and the bridge pickup that will change things slightly...but since I don't plan on drilling for additional pots it will be simple enough of a job. Once I get some free time in the next few weeks I will post some photos of the guitar and some of the work I have done on it.

Until then, thanks!

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have done it! I added a bigsby and a second franz to my t100! I was also able to flip the winding and polarity of my neck pickup for hum canceling and potted my pickups! I took some photos of the process but I think I need a photo hosting account to share them? Electronically I only added a three way switchcraft toggle, so it is set up kind of like a telecaster with master volume and tone.

I ended up mounting the bridge pickup cover first (after a few cups of coffee and lots measuring) and then drilled out a few holes along the “slot” for the pickup slug screws, and then used assorted files and a coping saw blade to square it all off (there is an ebay auction up right now with a t100d that has been parted out so I used that for reference) mounted the pickup, wired the newly mounted bridge pickup to the new harness with the lead out the neck pickup rout and fed it all back through!

She was an awesome guitar before, but now its a whole other level of versitility. The way I mounted my b-6 you can go back to the original trap tailpiece and have no holes showing, and you can still use the original end pin! Turned out very nicely, and this forum held much of the knowledge!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good job, EC. I also have a refinned T-100DP with an added Guildsby. I did some rewiring as well, but it still needs some bench time for tweaks.

Look forward to seeing pics. And yes, you need a photo hosting site for pics. Many here have signed up for an IMGUR or wordpress account to host photos.

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
I also may have bought a brown 1962 t100 case for it last night after a few victory brews :x it was only $60 more than a new case....and has so much more mojo...probably offset the cost of doing all the work on the guitar myself....but who cares!

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
Thanks!

The top is quite lovely. I think that may be why someone decided to remove the burst finish years ago. Its really hard to get a good photo of the figure, but the whole top has that light marcel wave. So far that guitar has made a guild fan out of everyone that plays it.

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
31p9KVU.jpg

I snapped this photo of the top with the guitar from across the room with the zoom, its the best flame ahot ive got so far

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice grab! You got really lucky, EC. It's not often that the older T-100s have figuring in the tops.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous and nice job on the addition of the second pickup and Bigsby. Welcome to LTG El-crawfordo! The early Franz Equipped Guilds are some of the finest electrics I have ever played. They just have their own sound and are such a joy to play. Look forward to hearing more form you in the future.

TX

Kitarkus

Reaction score
very cool project! I like. I can see how small and narrow that neck/nut width are just from the photos. Am I correct?

El_crawfordo

Reaction score
It measures a few hairs over 1 5/8, but the nut is slotted perfectly, the neck shape is great, as are the frets and the neck angle. I dont really find it challenging to play or that noticeably narrow, but I have tons of acoustics with tons of various nut widths....to me it doesnt take that long to get ued to any of em. Id think more folks would have issues playin my 1970 d-28 slot head at 1 15/16ths. In any case the width hasnt kept me from Chet’n around on it!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jp,

Thanks! It was listed at a “no brainer buy” price. What does your 59 look like?
I used to have a pristine tobacco sunburst '59 T-100DP, but I felt afraid to take it out of the case. I ended up replacing it with a refinned black model and I mounted a Guildsby on it. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I like player guitars that I don't have to baby. :C)