Has anyone here taken the plunge with a new Cordoba (Oxnard) Guild?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Hi all,

Haven't heard anyone talk about their experience with the new Oxnard built Guilds since Cordoba took over. How do they compare?

If you've played one, I'd like to hear about it!

Clyde

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Thanks Al.
I did an initial search with the LTG search engine and not much of anything relevant popped up...
Plus, through out all of the threads I've read about everything Guild, I'm surprised how little anybody talks about their "new" Guild (meaning Oxnard built). It's like after NH 2014, its the abyss... There is so much pride (and rightfully so) when LTGers share their Guild stories, but virtually none of them concern Oxnard.

Its been 4 years since Cordoba took over... you'd figure there would some "new" Guilds out there in circulation and people talking about them with pride... Maybe its my impression, but I'm not feeling the love... actually I'm not feeling anything, just a void.

Maybe its me...

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Its been 4 years since Cordoba took over... you'd figure there would some "new" Guilds out there in circulation and people talking about them with pride...

Well, they may have "taken over" 4 years ago, but they were very slow in getting production up and running. I really haven't been keeping track, but it seems to me it was only several months ago that guitars started coming out of Oxnard. (Maybe it was more than several months ago, but it doesn't seem like it.) And the first models out of Oxnard were not F512s or F412s or F50Rs or... well, you get the idea. Plus, some folks like to sit back and see the reviews of the early models before buying at brand new prices.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al.
"De nada"
I did an initial search with the LTG search engine and not much of anything relevant popped up...
Yes, the site's search engine has some limitations, especially if the search term is too short or too common. I even had to tweak my google search a couple of times to find stuff I knew was there.
It's been 4 years since Cordoba took over... you'd figure there would some "new" Guilds out there in circulation and people talking about them with pride
To be fair, it took 'em at least 18 months before they were even able to turn on the equipment, "IIRC" about the time frame.
There were permitting issues that a few folks thought were related to getting the certs to spray NCL but in fact it wasn't that at all, they'd announced they already had that handled early in the in the process.
At the time member TXBumper passed on some insider info from a trusted long-term dealer acquaintance that there was a piece of equipment that consumed so much power when it was turned on that it was a potential hazard to the power grid, no kidding.
So it needed special scrutiny and I assume some kind of appropriate isolation so a surge wouldn't turn into a "cascade" and take down the grid for southern Cal, literally.
In fact they even have Guild's single most iconic piece of equipment (according to me) in place : The archback steam press that dates at least as far back as Westerly that formed so many F40, F50, and D25 archbacks over the years (to name a few).
It wouldn't surprise me if that's actually the piece that was giving 'em power surge worries, too.

So we had about 18 months before they even started building and some few months after that before getting the first M20's out the door.
Those were shipped primarily to on-line dealers like Sweetwater, in fact the D20's were too, so lots of folks here who normally like to try 'em before buy 'em were once again facing the same old problem New Hartford had:
Lack of presence in brick and mortar stores where hands-on trials could be made.
... Maybe its my impression, but I'm not feeling the love Oxnard... actually I'm not feeling anything, just a void.
Maybe its me...
No it's not just you. There's been a lot of ambivalence about Oxnard's direction here.
But let's balance it with the observation that there really isn't a lot of product out there yet, either.
That's always been Guild's position in the market especially compared to the "Big Boys"
I've been guilty of some snarky comments myself but in trying to be fair I'll point out that this place probably isn't their target demographic.
I'd hazard the vast majority of members here are here because of a love for vintage Guilds and a pretty low percentage is actually interested in buying a newly-built instrument.
So Cordoba's doing what they should be doing: Targeting a younger demographic who's more likely to be interested in buying a new instrument.
They do post actively on Facebook for example, and and in 2 years they've actually shipped at least 5 models: M20, M40 (former F20), D20, D40 (2 versions), D55, and announced the F55 and F40 and F512.
That's not counting the new MIC models that expanded the old GAD line.
So in spite of satin varnish and mortise-and-tenon neck joints I still try to keep a balanced view about 'em and hope they'll be able to keep my favorite guitar brand alive and vital for the next few years, and I'm sure there's a significant percentage of us who feel the same.
For one thing I want 'em to last at least long enough to offer a real 16" lower bout F47R with a cutaway and a 24-3/4" scale with a 1-11/16 nut, even if I have to special order it.
And oh yeah, I want high-gloss NCL and enclosed tuners.
Not too picky about a G-shield, (already got one), a chesterfield on the headstock'll do fine, thanks, and plain block inlays'd actually have real old-timey vibe too.
IF I have to take block inlays on the fretboard....
After that Fender could buy 'em for all I care.
:glee:
(Actually, when I got my D25, it was on the advice of my best buddy: "You should check out Guild. Fender just bought 'em"
So I figured, "There's a lifetime guaranteed warranty....")
:chargrined:

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Al.
Plus, through out all of the threads I've read about everything Guild, I'm surprised how little anybody talks about their "new" Guild (meaning Oxnard built). It's like after NH 2014, its the abyss... There is so much pride (and rightfully so) when LTGers share their Guild stories, but virtually none of them concern Oxnard.

Its been 4 years since Cordoba took over... you'd figure there would some "new" Guilds out there in circulation and people talking about them with pride... Maybe its my impression, but I'm not feeling the love... actually I'm not feeling anything, just a void.

Maybe its me...

It's you. Since you were not here for the transition from Tacoma to New Hartford....

There was a long period of time when there were no new guitars being built. I'll say between one and two years but that's my memory. Then there was limited production. Initially just one model and the production runs were small as the production line was tweaked and the kinks worked out. Production runs gradually increased and new models were gradually added. As models became available some early adopters tried to get them, but production and distribution were such that not everyone who wanted one could get it. Many others stood on the sidelines and watched, waiting for the production process to stabilize and for feedback from the early adopters. While the reputation for New Hartford was being established there were an awful lot of people who were quite vocal in their opinion that the New Hartford quality would never surpass Westerly. Some minds were changed, others weren't, but there was definitely a collection of posters who could not imagine they would ever buy a new Guild from New Hartford. If you picked the wrong thread, at the wrong time you would definitely get the impression that folks were concerned about New Hartford. Time marched on, more people got their hands on New Hartford instruments and posted their opinions which were generally positive. But it took several years before there was a collection of hands on experience.

I'm seeing a similar pattern with Oxnard. It took they a while to even start the "debugging" process because of permits and other issues. Their choice of initial production reflected the inexperienced work force. For the most part, we are still in the "wait and see" phase. I'm thinking we still have another year of that.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
fro, that's not my recollection of the transition between Tacoma and NH. As I recall, Tacoma was still making some guitars through 2008 while New Hartford was building prototypes of D-55s (and probably others) in the latter half of 2008. Tacoma was shuttered in either December 2008 or January 2009, and the initial production NH D-55s were shown at NAMM in January of 2009.

I think one of us is mis-remembering things.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
fro, that's not my recollection of the transition between Tacoma and NH. As I recall, Tacoma was still making some guitars through 2008 while New Hartford was building prototypes of D-55s (and probably others) in the latter half of 2008. Tacoma was shuttered in either December 2008 or January 2009, and the initial production NH D-55s were shown at NAMM in January of 2009.

I think one of us is mis-remembering things.

Could be me. It's happened before. ;-)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Likewise, fro. :)

As I recall, Fender shuttered Guild in New Hartford before ink was even dry with CMG's purchase of the Guild brand. OTOH, when Fender bought New Hartford (from Kaman), the NH shop was already producing Ovations and Hamers. They had a ready-made group of experienced guitar makers in NH, and particularly a top-notch tooling department. Secondly, though CMG had a US and foreign production of their own brand(s), they chose to build a new shop to create US Guilds.

Another interesting difference, NH chose to go after Guild's top-of-the-line stuff first. CMG has chosen to invent some new things and has waited to go after the flagship(s).

You have to give CMG some slack when you consider this transition. It could not have been more disruptive. Even though Fender provided a reasonable stock of instruments for the transition, it was not enough for the multi-year spinup that we've seen in Oxnard.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to be able to give some Oxnard reviews, since my "local" Sam Ash has some, but they are right in the path of the big humidifier and the strings were close to being moldy, they were so grunged up.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought a used D20.

Had tried a new one out at one of the local guitar stores several times, found
it kinda dull sounding, left me scratching my head a bit. But then found one for
sale on CL, and hope springs eternal with all things Guild, so decided to roll the dice.
It arrived with scary high action, can't imagine the previous owner, who'd bought the
guitar new, had played it much.

Took it to one of several excellent guitar wizards I work with, he did a killer set-up on it,
got the action dialed in beautifully, lowered the saddle a bit, felt good.

Left hand chording had me feeling the nut was on the narrow side - didn't caliper it,
the spec states 1 11/16". The strings on it were probably original, my go-to
strings are Elixir nano mediums, so on they went.

To my ears, the sound of the guitar overall was kind of twangy and brittle - take the brightness of
a Taylor and do some unknown sonic something to make it slightly annoying - put on Elixir medium
nanos, perhaps?... and that's the sound. Good projection, good volume, fair separation, not
too many overtones, nothing like the party-in-a-box the Westerly D25s can be, but lacking that richness as well.
Also, very different than the D20 I'd tried previously in the store (which almost surely had factory strings on it, probably
D'Addario or something similar).

Bottom line was, in a house with a number of Westerly and NH Guilds in residence, soon realized there was nothing
there that would compel me to choose it over any of the other guitars. Sound is one of those completely subjective things - for someone
else, the D20 that ultimately left me cold might be someone else's little blue guitar pill.
I'd sit down and play the D20 for an hour or so, then shake my head, and put it away.
I'll observe this - the sound was very distinctive, and unlike any Westerly, Corona, or NH Guild I've played.

Other odds & ends... the coloration of the sunburst finish on mine was gorgeous, but the near-matte finish just looked budge -
gloss would've been a better choice, and for $1400 imo should be. No easy way to get even the smallest blemish out of the finish.
One really odd thing... the satin varnish finish is really odorous. I mean, it smelled like it'd
been sprayed about three days ago - the guitar was made in 2016.
This from a guy who's literally been around catalyzed paints of all kinds and hot solvents
for most of his life and still is today.

The D20 seemed noticeably lighter in weight than any of my Westerly or NH Guilds. Did not weigh it to
get an official number.

I sold the D20 last night.

Side note - about the same time I picked it up, also bought a Westerly Collection D-120 - I'm keeping it for the time being.
I like the sound better overall than the D20, and I like the generous 1 3/4" nut which works well for my XL hands.

Would I try another Oxnard? Absolutely - I would and I will. As mentioned earlier, there's a Ox D40 in the same shop that
is an absolute sonic bombshell... completely put my NH D40 (now departed as well) to shame!

D20 photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lvqrGyea09QJNhZK2

Last edited: