The other "G" guitar

Reaction score
Just couldn't help it!
Saw it on reverb at and had it on my watch list...then he dropped the price to a REALLY great price and I scooped it up!

It's a 2012 G6120 in near-mint condition. Previous owner installed the gold Grover Roto-Grip Locking tuners (which I like so much, I put them on my X160 Rockabilly (in chrome)...along with the Callaham string-thru bar for the Guildsby!) and Compton brass compensated saddle. Sustain for days! (I bought a Callaham string thru for the Gretsch now too).

Great sounding and playing guitar! I've always loved Gretsches..had quite a few throughout the years!
So now I have the single-coil chime of the X160 and the FilterTron growl of the 6120. They are both the same size and scale.

1UfqszN.jpg
cmLThxE.jpg

ClydeTower

Reaction score
That is an absolutely gorgeous guitar!
I actually rented the exact same one for week. Very cool, congrats!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice and with some killer upgrades to boot!

I love those Compton bridges.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice! a friend of mine when i was younger had two white falcons, a single cutaway and a double cutaway. both had white pillows on back of guitar, gold inlay, crazy. sounded great too, i think i preferred the single cutaway best. this friend also had a D-45. he had and most likely still has some killer guitars. it is quite an experience to play the top shelf guitars out there. i mean just to hear what they are about. I think one day i want to play a Collings dread, just to hear what all the hoopla is about.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice buy Retro! I love my 2 Gretsch Falcons, Great guitars all around. Congrats!

TX

geoguy

Reaction score
nice! a friend of mine when i was younger had two white falcons, a single cutaway and a double cutaway. both had white pillows on back of guitar . . .

Backpads, Wood . . . they call 'em backpads! :biggrin-new:

Congrats on that new Gretsch, Retro. Fender-era Gretsch pro line guitars are very fine instruments.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Backpads, Wood . . . they call 'em backpads! :biggrin-new:

Congrats on that new Gretsch, Retro. Fender-era Gretsch pro line guitars are very fine instruments.

i was wondering what they were called. i thought it was the darndest thing...I was like, "are you in pain while playing the white falcons?"

:)

he bought them cause Still and Young had played them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what they were called. i thought it was the darndest thing...I was like, "are you in pain while playing the white falcons?"

:)

he bought them cause Still and Young had played them.

They played Duane Eddys, too, does he have any of those?

SteveStillsDE400Bld_1.jpg

(We now return control of this thread to the OP)
:friendy_wink:

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I put the Callaham String-thru bar on the Bigsby tonight! Easy mod! And no more pins!!! Makes string changes SO much easier. (I can put it back to stock easily, should I ever need to.)

OI94Eof.jpg

And I changed the stock 1" spring to a gold 7/8" spring. Just my preference, I don't dive-bomb...but the Bigsby is SO SMOOTH! and it's right THERE now!

0oI2xw0.jpg

I'm stoked! ;)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks Good Retro! I have been looking at that Callaham string through bar and am kinda bummed they don't offer it in Gold. I know some of the New Gretsch Guitars are shipping with Gold String Through Bigsby B6 models and would love to get my hands on one or two of those gold string through bars. I have a few Gold Guildsby B6 NOS models from New Hartford that are ready to start seeing service in the next few weeks and my borderline OCD (or my imaginary friend, I'm not sure which at this time, LOL) won't let me put a Chrome or polished Aluminum bar in a Gold unit, LOL! I'll get it figured out one way or another.

TX

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I put the Callaham String-thru bar on the Bigsby tonight! Easy mod! And no more pins!!! Makes string changes SO much easier. (I can put it back to stock easily, should I ever need to.

Thanks for the pics so I can see what it is. Very cool (&why it is done like that from the factory I will never know).

Congrats on the Gretsch. The pics side by side are really show how much the shapes are alike, with the Guild seemingly having a little bit larger lower horn or am I seeing things?.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Looks Good Retro! I have been looking at that Callaham string through bar and am kinda bummed they don't offer it in Gold. I know some of the New Gretsch Guitars are shipping with Gold String Through Bigsby B6 models and would love to get my hands on one or two of those gold string through bars. I have a few Gold Guildsby B6 NOS models from New Hartford that are ready to start seeing service in the next few weeks and my borderline OCD (or my imaginary friend, I'm not sure which at this time, LOL) won't let me put a Chrome or polished Aluminum bar in a Gold unit, LOL! I'll get it figured out one way or another.

TX

Couldn't you drop into a plating service and see if they'd lay a coat on for you? Prolly wouldn't run a _whole_ lotta dough.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just couldn't help it!
Saw it on reverb at and had it on my watch list...then he dropped the price to a REALLY great price and I scooped it up!

It's a 2012 G6120 in near-mint condition. Previous owner installed the gold Grover Roto-Grip Locking tuners (which I like so much, I put them on my X160 Rockabilly (in chrome)...along with the Callaham string-thru bar for the Guildsby!) and Compton brass compensated saddle. Sustain for days! (I bought a Callaham string thru for the Gretsch now too).

Great sounding and playing guitar! I've always loved Gretsches..had quite a few throughout the years!
So now I have the single-coil chime of the X160 and the FilterTron growl of the 6120. They are both the same size and scale.

1UfqszN.jpg
cmLThxE.jpg
Is your X160 a shorter scale or is it just the angle of the picture?