Orpheums and Nickel-Bronze strings

merlin6666

Reaction score
I was a tester for the d'Addario NB strings before they hit the market and I put the sample on my Orpheum Jumbo. I was immediately convinced that I preferred them to the regular PBs but as I had quite a few PB sets I wanted to use some of them up before moving to NB. I finally did and I also put a set on my Orpheum Rosewood 12-string. They don't disappoint! I haven't checked on the tension chart compared to PB, but I actually think they require less pressure to play and feel more comfortable than the PBs. And in terms of sound I think that they enhance the clarity of the 12 string, with even better note separation. Let's see how long they last - on the Jumbo it was 3 months+. I also have a set of lights that I want to try on my Adamas in the summer to see how they preform with the bowl and carbon-fibre top.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like them, too. I use them on my DD6 and 000-28EC. Can't comment on longevity, yet, but I like the tone and the feel.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I tried them on my F50R, Orpheum Jumbo, and D55RS with the Adirondack top. Unfortunately I was not a fan of them at all on any of the guitars. I wound up going back to the Elixir Nano PB Light HD sets on all those guitars and to my ears got much more out of each with the Elixirs. That is the cool thing about strings though, Everyone hears them differently. I am glad you guys like them but they are just not for me.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I tried them on my F50R, Orpheum Jumbo, and D55RS with the Adirondack top. Unfortunately I was not a fan of them at all on any of the guitars. I wound up going back to the Elixir Nano PB Light HD sets on all those guitars and to my ears got much more out of each with the Elixirs. That is the cool thing about strings though, Everyone hears them differently. I am glad you guys like them but they are just not for me.

TX

Yup Elixer nano , thier my choice string at the moment .

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tested them too, but somehow when they went into full production, i became not a fan. they sound great on the Santa Cruz however.
I do like the Martin Retro lights on the Br. Mav was spot on there! Nice to hear the D25 flatback without any string color or bias.

I also do not like how jacked up the price is for the D'A Nickle bronze strings. 11.99 is like nearly a coated string price and I just did not see it warranted.

But glad you dig them!

CocoaPicker

Reaction score
I have nickel-bronze strings on both my D-55 (12-53) and JF-55 (12-56). I've had the same set on the D-55 since last summer and they're still going strong. (This is the guitar that I usually keep in standard tuning, so it gets the most play.) The main things that I've noticed are that they're not too bright when new, compared to other non-coated strings, and (so far) they don't seem to get dull after a few months of playing.

Maybe take this with a grain of salt, as I'm a fan of this recent video of Mark O'Connor playing his old Martin with 20-year old strings. :)

https://youtu.be/pqn1TIb33ug