Advice on Corona built F412

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Hey guys, there is a Corona built F412 that says USED on the back of the headstock. I'm guessing a factory refurb? Should I stay away from a model like this? What sort of value should I look at for said guitar.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yup, that would likely be a factory 2nd. Typically something in the finish but often times it's really hard to see. If everything else all checks out I wouldn't be afraid of it. Of course, the 2nd means the price would have to reflect that. Also, know going in it may be more difficult to sell down the line if you ever choose to do that.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey guys, there is a Corona built F412 that says USED on the back of the headstock. I'm guessing a factory refurb? Should I stay away from a model like this? What sort of value should I look at for said guitar.

Yeah, I've been watching that one. I won't be bidding on it though. I'm overbought at the moment. I just like to keep tabs. :tiger:

It is refurbished. Otherwise, the ad says all the right things - neck angle good, original saddle, etc. The back looks spectacular. He admits there is some fret wear, where he played it heavy the first year, then hardly at all since. It is unstated why it was sold to the refurbish plant, but the seller sort of implies there may be some minor cosmetic issues. The high end of the ebony fretboard sure looks like it needs a serious cleaning or something... otherwise it could very well be a very nice, full-bodied Corona-built F-412. Will be interesting to see how that bidding goes. :sentimental:

And there's ~3 hours left in that auction....

ClydeTower

Reaction score

I've been tempted in the past by factory 2nds but have stayed away. I always buy a guitar with the mindset that it is just passing through my hands for a period of time. Having a "used" stamp on it and no manufacturer serial number makes it much much harder to sell later on.

If you get it dirt cheap, I guess it could be worth it.

Good luck!