NGD - But Im one picky SOAG

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ok picking up after my almost NGD a quick what happened next story .

K so Friday me no pick up guitar from post office ! Post office girl nice ! says Monday me sayz ok but me still check tracking updates , updates say nothing !

Today Saturday , me and boy go to movie ... watch black panther it was good ! then we go to grand parents do some work , eat good food watch more movie , it was good 2

come home now it be dark 7pm find box in dark by mail box .

ok yeah so over not happy at the same time thank the guitar GOD it was still there as I had no idea it was there or going to be.

another lesson learned , make sure the seller requests signature ! I know to me its a Duh ! moment one that should not have to be asked for the love of !

ok my fault too .

lets move on . The guitar is beautiful 06 F40 sunburst in about as great shape one could ask for certainly the gentle man who bought it as new old stock in 2012 was truthful.
its pretty much factory fresh even the end pin is not in it and all what looks like original packaging components like the cleaner pads warranty cards and the likes are included with a case to match.

Ahhh but I theres always something right ? well at least with me , in this case theres finish cracks along the the top banding and splice block on the tail piece. do some of you remember that one guitar I do thing it was that NH F30 with the white crack lines in the finish around the head stock cap same thing here .

Now this just could due to expansion and contraction but I feel it needs to be addressed it was not disclosed either but it might not have been seen so we will see what the out come is later a email was sent out . in the mean just a few pics until i know if it stays or goes .

oh , I played her to at the moment I can say this F40 is not a NH F30 not that it should be but the tone and clarity between the two is way off . I can say this guitar has been played but very rarely as I can just about count the pick scratches on the pick guard there are none on the body.

That being said Adirondack takes longer to open up so it may not yet have matured. the top defiantly has vibration akin to Adi so I have some hopes if she stays but again bracing and top tuning is everything if the bracing is Adi from my research that could cause a conflict giving the top a more mellow tone then I would care for.

the banding looks like leopard wood or something like it , some thing they never should have covered up LOL

ok Pics

mciq1Pt.jpg
[/IMG]

opqOZN5.jpg
[/IMG]

yKYB4Nk.jpg
[/IMG]

dPByDC0.jpg
[/IMG]

QEL2sea.png
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So are you keeping this guitar, or not?

I don’t know first and for most I need a better understanding of the seem cracks .

Unfortunately my luthier is his way to Spain so some of the more experienced pros here would need to way in .

Yes I’m asking for your input guys !

I think I payed a fair market price not a deal in my book .

Seller says it wasnt like it that when it left so at the moment I’m caught between a rock and hard place .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok never mind it’s going back .

The split in the banding line is offset from the side with the side being further out then the banding possibly a separation from the lining or the top shrunk .

Since it’s in multiple places back it goes .

Man why me ! Lol

“ I must embrace my suffering so I won’t be imprisoned by it “

Next one will be the one ☝️

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Agree with your decision 100%. You will find another one-sooner than later I hope.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Morning and thanks folks ,

“ seller say if it a scratch I should keep it as I won’t find another for that price .

If structural damage it happen during shipping and he’ll work the insurance. “

Interesting discussion if ya ask me .

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe you'll get some $ out of it. Of course, you can say "No, I want a full refund".

Either way, it sure is a pretty guitar!

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe you'll get some $ out of it. Of course, you can say "No, I want a full refund".

Either way, it sure is a pretty guitar!

walrus

Yeah it is , I was hoping for a keeper but it’s not be it seems .

PittPastor

Reaction score
I've often wondered how this is handled. If it happened in Transit, how can the seller prove it to the shipper? I guess if he bought insurance, he's covered. But that doesn't seem like shipping damage to me.

Too bad though, the pic of the guitar with the case top open looks great! I was routing for it to be good.

refret

Reaction score
I hope the postal service is more cooperative than UPS......
With UPS, the box needs to have been run over by a forklift with "UPS" on the tire tracks.
Yes they ran over a guitar that was being shipped to me once. I was watching the tracking and it started going in the opposite direction......

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've often wondered how this is handled. If it happened in Transit, how can the seller prove it to the shipper? I guess if he bought insurance, he's covered. But that doesn't seem like shipping damage to me.

Too bad though, the pic of the guitar with the case top open looks great! I was routing for it to be good.

No it’s definitely not shipping damage , I’m thinking both low humidity and poor QC .

Not digging the tone plus the issues , the guitars lower bout radius is not symmetrical but over all it’s the cracks in the ncl around the jointed areas even the back had two 1 1/2 lines down the center seam one at each end of the guitar but they are buffed and polished so pretty much it came out the factory that way . Believe it or not my CV-1 has a better over fit and finish despite its wear .

I say again the ugly dog wins , this dog is to pretty .lol

I hope the postal service is more cooperative than UPS......
With UPS, the box needs to have been run over by a forklift with "UPS" on the tire tracks.
Yes they ran over a guitar that was being shipped to me once. I was watching the tracking and it started going in the opposite direction......

Yikes that , um , ain’t cool :(

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
The last USPS delivery I got also took way longer than it should, and then the guitar was delivered and left on my porch without getting my signature (I was inside, but didn't hear the knock, if there was one.) Geez!

RC

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The last USPS delivery I got also took way longer than it should, and then the guitar was delivered and left on my porch without getting my signature (I was inside, but didn't hear the knock, if there was one.) Geez!

RC

Well I can’t blame the USPS in my case seller said buyer has to ask for signature required .

I’ve only had one package mis delivered and it was rectified rather quickly .

Plus my mail person knows me and would not normal leave something out that big so I think was not the normal mail person lol

The box was in excellent condition . Fedex and USPS is who I will use .

tommym

Reaction score
With UPS, FEDEX, etc..., I normally pick it up my guitars at their airport distribution hub. That solves the issue of the guitar bouncing around in the delivery trucks or missed deliveries. Just one less thing to have to worry about. You have to tell the seller to stipulate this when they fill out the shipping label.

Tommy

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guitar is off 2 day via USPS he should have it Wednesday .
Email asked if I might interested in other Guilds , um yeah ! Though I asked or nudged at that question before lol
So we’ll see whats in the inventory never know right .

So after I shipped it out I came back home and decided to post some gear up for sale . Then I thought I have not played that F47 GSR . So out it came and now I’m not sure if I’ll sell it lol

I think I will but I’m enjoying the time with it’s like a new guitar every time lol

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Seller says it wasnt like it that when it left so at the moment I’m caught between a rock and hard place .

I'm a little late to the party, but I sympathize with you man. Having a guitar shipped to you from "Joe Shmoe" is a nerve racking experience for sure. So I take it the seller refunded your money without too much fuss?
What would have been your recourse if he refused to take it back?

I'm curious cause I figure its gonna happen to me at some point...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm a little late to the party, but I sympathize with you man. Having a guitar shipped to you from "Joe Shmoe" is a nerve racking experience for sure. So I take it the seller refunded your money without too much fuss?
What would have been your recourse if he refused to take it back?

I'm curious cause I figure its gonna happen to me at some point...

Well Clyde joe is actually a nice guy I hope I did not imply that he wasn’t ? That said all is good no ill words between us since he has some other guilds we still may do business depends on what he’s got .
He has a business and a return policy .

Thing is we don’t all think alike so once we acknowledge that we can move forward .

There’s things I would have have done different but that’s on the shipping side not the dealing with the guitar issues I see . He’s been fully understanding on that so all good .

Always the best way to go is to kill them with kindness if your having issues . If poo poo hits the fan then you just have to what you can legally to settle up.

Now if he told me I’m stuck with it and it was a “no returns “ as some sellers have then I would suck it up and have a serious talk with myself ,
Bad Ray bad Ray ! Lol

I’d then get the guitar looked at by my luthier ascertain exactly what is going on then fix it or let it be .

In this case my assessment of the guitar is it’s a combination of bad quality control from Guild and climate control during storage . It’s clear it was bought 6 years after production as new old stock and I assume stored from that time till now . It’s rearly been played .

For me the cost I see in my head to seal the NCL cracks around the joints would cost at least half the value of the guitar . That money would not be recoverable so I would really have to love this guitar to go that route.

Unfortunately the only thing I liked about the guitar was the looks she was pretty lol

Her tone was not calling to me ( which does not mean it was bad ) and to me that’s everything . If it came to me with dings and dents and sounded awesome to me it would been a keeper ;)

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guitar is off 2 day via USPS he should have it Wednesday .
Email asked if I might interested in other Guilds , um yeah ! Though I asked or nudged at that question before lol
So we’ll see whats in the inventory never know right .

So after I shipped it out I came back home and decided to post some gear up for sale . Then I thought I have not played that F47 GSR . So out it came and now I’m not sure if I’ll sell it lol

I think I will but I’m enjoying the time with it’s like a new guitar every time lol

i really did enjoy that pick of the guitar in its box resting up against your fence at night when you arrived home. glad it worked out and he took it back. look forward to if he sends you a different Guild he has. sounds like a relationship worth continuing if you two have aligned on communication etc. you got good patience Ray!