This has to stop.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) I don't know, Charlie... The single-owner thing can be a blessing or a curse depending on the guy's care regimen.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And what is meant by "mint"

Technically it derives from the condition of a newly-minted coin: "flawless" or "as perfect as it came off the production line".
And coin collectors actually have a much better term for it: "uncirculated".
It's never had a chance to collect any of the dings etc associated with being in circulation.
Obviously very few "vintage" instruments are actually in that fine a shape, but the equivalent term for other commodities is "New Old Stock" (new in box, never sold) and then "shopworn" which is usually the shop's demo piece that may have some play scuffing on the pickguard and possible other very minor dings from being handled
Usually a shop'll discount for that even though technically it's a new instrument with a warranty.

Craigslist and some internet sellers have an entirely different definition of "mint":

DOTJ-87CivicWagovan-04.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Al, as I recall, "mint" is different from "uncirculated" in coin lingo. I'm not sure I can describe the difference, but I have a "mint" coin set encased in plastic, and I have some "uncirculated" coins that are wrapped in cellophane (from the mint I think).

I don't know, maybe "mint" means untouched by human hands? Not sure. Maybe I'm wrong about the difference. (and, no, I refuse to Google it :) :) )

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al, as I recall, "mint" is different from "uncirculated" in coin lingo. I'm not sure I can describe the difference, but I have a "mint" coin set encased in plastic, and I have some "uncirculated" coins that are wrapped in cellophane (from the mint I think).

I don't know, maybe "mint" means untouched by human hands? Not sure. Maybe I'm wrong about the difference. (and, no, I refuse to Google it :) :) )

Hey Chazmo, you know you can Google that to see the difference right?:anonymous:

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

From here:
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2202/Glossary/
"Mint - the structure where coins are produced, or the governmental body overseeing its work"
"Mint State (MS) - describes an unworn coin; this means the same as Uncirculated"
"Uncirculated - describes an unworn coin; this means the same as Mint State"
But perhaps the most useful of all is:
"Mint Error - see Guild Guitar Company serial number and label records"

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whelp, I stand (sit, type) corrected! :) So, "mint" is "uncirculated." Makes sense really.

Never heard that "slab" term before, Al. I see that it's slang, so it's no surprise that it's new to me.

And, yeah, Tex... Thanks for that! :) :)

dbirchett

Reaction score
The two sets of coins you are referring to may be an uncirculated set where the coins are enclosed in plastic without being let into circulation. The other set, in plastic, is probably a proof set which is struck on a specially polished blank and then the resultant coin is not polished further leaving a matte finished image on a mirror-like background. Here is an easy to see example:
x2004_w_american_silver_eagle_proof_sm.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rXhslBYuAB.jpg
The US mint makes all coins available in proof form for those that really want to pay for them. You can also get higher quantity silver coins in proof sets as well.