Falling out of love with my DeArmond Starfire

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I’ve owned a red Starfire forbnear ten years now. I originally picked it up at a store used to demo anTrace Elliot Velocette and walked out with both. I used to absolutely love it, even when friends would knock on it being an Asian guitar. Lately every time I pick it up it just doesn’t feel right...I’m trying to decide if isbthe amps that I currently own, or if it is just time to move on. I’m in the process of writing and recording an album and it just doesn’t seem to get thentones I want....so I pass it along and look for a Guild Starfire or a Rickenbacker possibly? Thoughts?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why do you think you feel that way suddenly? Do you have other vintage guitars that it's getting compared to?

Mark WW

Reaction score
I have that happen with my guitars. I pick one up and it plays or sounds horrible. I just put it back in the case and pull out another (or another or another or...) until I find one I like.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
It sounds s the special. Has the Black 2k pickups and the “Bigsby.”

The neck feels giant, mostly because I’ve been playing my Rickenbacker a lot. The tone in my amps just never sounds like it should to me either. I feel bad because I know it sounds great, that’s why I’ve had it this long.

DThomasC

Reaction score
Those 2K pickups are unique. Very clear and chimey, probably the most chimey pickups I've ever played, but some people find them too clear and bright, lacking in body or something. I like them a lot, but not for everything.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Those 2K pickups are unique. Very clear and chimey, probably the most chimey pickups I've ever played, but some people find them too clear and bright, lacking in body or something. I like them a lot, but not for everything.

Honestly I bought it because I fell in love with the neck pickup. I thought it sounded so full and rounded. Through a clean amp it was heavenly. I may just have to try playing it for a couple hours to get my amps set where they should be for it. I can’t imagine it would have more chime than my Rickenbacker!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I had the same experience with a DA Starfire Special. Have owned many Dearmonds, really appreciate that 2k pickup. So of course got curious about the Starfire. Owning one proved disappointing. Pickups were predictably tasty, but the guitar itself was too heavy. Felt unwieldy somehow, and was rather stiff in play feel. I reluctantly moved it along. The antidote - years later - is the T400. Fully hollow, not semi. None of the downsides I experienced with the Starfire. At least for me, the T400 is the best of the Dearmonds. The 2k pickups really sounds fine with some air around them.
MD

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
I had a DeArmond Starfire Special that I liked very much. Well made, played well and I really liked the tone from those 2K pu's. Some things to look out for on those Starfire Specials: check your nut height; the nut was cut a bit high on mine which caused a "stiff" playing feel. A bit of attention to the nut slots and the playing feel loosened up and the guitar felt great. Intonated better also. Regarding the 2K pu's. They are basically P-90's in DeArmond Dynasonic clothing and should sound real nice clean and even better overdriven. Try adjusting the pole slugs. The bridge pu can sound a bit shrill. You might want to shim the pu body up and lower the pole slugs which should result in a fatter sound with a smoother high end. As far as the weight, not much you can do about that.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I’ll have to spend a couple hours with it one of these days and give it a good setup again. It has newish strings on it still (within past few weeks). I just spent a good 5 hours setting up my Rickenbacker so that in my opinion it plays perfect and installing a capacitor to give it a more vintage sound. So admittedly the DeArmond has been neglected. Also probably partially due to my wanting a Ric 12....telling myself subliminally that I don’t like the Starfire so I can justify selling it to get the Ric with the money.

I had a DeArmond Starfire Special that I liked very much. Well made, played well and I really liked the tone from those 2K pu's. Some things to look out for on those Starfire Specials: check your nut height; the nut was cut a bit high on mine which caused a "stiff" playing feel. A bit of attention to the nut slots and the playing feel loosened up and the guitar felt great. Intonated better also. Regarding the 2K pu's. They are basically P-90's in DeArmond Dynasonic clothing and should sound real nice clean and even better overdriven. Try adjusting the pole slugs. The bridge pu can sound a bit shrill. You might want to shim the pu body up and lower the pole slugs which should result in a fatter sound with a smoother high end. As far as the weight, not much you can do about that.

You don’t happen to remember what you had your pickup heights or pole heights at?

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
It's been almost 10 years since I had the guitar......so my memory is a bit shaky. Play with the pole slug heights. Your ears will tell you.
I will say, GAS for a Rick 12 can be a powerful thing, especially if you love Ricks.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Dang Rickenbackers! They are a special animal, much like Guilds. If I didn’t have a family I’d just keep the DeArmond and buy a Ric also! Might try a good and thorough setup and see how it feels/sounds after that. It’s likely not that it sounds bad now, I just keep telling myself the Ric would sound better.....

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Gave it a good setup today, it was surprisingly close to how I typically set it still (it’s been a couple years since I checked everything on it). Played with the pole pieces a bit, decided I like them when they are all set to just above the pickup housing and even across.

Plugged it into my Bad Cat. Plays well and easy, just a higher neck than I’m now used to. The pickups to me sounds spectacular individually. When playing in the middle position I just couldn’t get a tone that blew me away. It sounded decent with the volume on the neck down a bit, but still just a bit muddy. That said, it screamed on the bridge pickup alone and with that amp was very touch sensitive. The neck pickup was nice and sweet and gave a bit of bite when I played hard. It sounds great, but I’m still not sure if I’ll keep it. It just doesn’t have the shimmer and shine that my Ric does. I wouldn’t be disappointed at all to keep it, it had a very unique sound and plays very well. I’d say it is like an sg with a bit more body and a little airy thanks to the semi hollow design.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It’s likely not that it sounds bad now, I just keep telling myself the Ric would sound better.....
You realize of course, that as soon as you sell it you'll miss it.
Or "... maybe not now, but someday..."

CASABLANCA_INGRID_%2526_BOGEY.JPG

:glee:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
You realize of course, that as soon as you sell it you'll miss it.
Or "... maybe not now, but someday..."

CASABLANCA_INGRID_%2526_BOGEY.JPG

:glee:

I know, I know. But with a limited budget I can only do so much...and an electric 12 would be extremely helpful for recording the album I’m trying to write....

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know, I know. But with a limited budget I can only do so much...and an electric 12 would be extremely helpful for recording the album I’m trying to write....

OK fair enough....stupid budgets're always gettin' in the way.....
Can'tcha sell some blood or sumthin'?

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
OK fair enough....stupid budgets're always gettin' in the way.....
Can'tcha sell some blood or sumthin'?

Thought about it. Take a lot of blood (and time) for $1700....!

I just played it through my Ampeg head and was mesmerized for 30 minutes. Maybe it likes the American styled tube amps...