Thumbpicks

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Needing to go back and forth between fingerpicking and flat picking in one song, (and not getting the knack of tucking the pick between fingers) I thought I’d try a thumb pick. I got two from Sweetwater (free shipping and a bag of Bit’O Honey, suh-weet!): The Herco is definitely the winner of the two (except for the silly colors); fairly comfortable, and enough give in the pick for an acoustic. The D’Addarios are very uncomfortable and inflexible.

Any others that you like?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I prefer the Fred Kelly Delrin Speed Pick:

HAm0jAJ.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don’t know if I want my picks giving me the finger.:biggrin-new:

LOL, i just noticed that too. awesome!

speaking of good picks, anyone have a suggestion for a heavy pick, 2 mm or larger that has a better grip? the ones i like are starting to move a lot when i strum, its pretty funny. i still hold onto it, but i swear, the pick does a 360 rotation during a song. it has a mind of its own.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL, i just noticed that too. awesome!

speaking of good picks, anyone have a suggestion for a heavy pick, 2 mm or larger that has a better grip? the ones i like are starting to move a lot when i strum, its pretty funny. i still hold onto it, but i swear, the pick does a 360 rotation during a song. it has a mind of its own.
Gator grips? Dava power grips? (I don’t use anything that heavy, so just throwing out options from experience with .96~ sizes.)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
WW, I still can't believe you use a 2.0 pick for acoustic! Wow!

What are you using now? The Delrin 500 picks from Dunlop have a nice grip, and I have also used the Dunlop Primetone picks with the "grip" option. Those are very grippy!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/510P2.0

walrus

Zelja

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with the Fred Kelley Slick Pick & also their Bumble-bee pick. Both are better for me for strummed flatpicking than a standard thumb pick. In the end you have to try things & see what feels comfortable.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the Bumble-bee for thump picking because it is small and the tip is close to the edge of my thumb. The thumb position is then a lot like not having a pick.

For struming with a thumb pick, try a Propik. The pick part can be rotated to match the angle you want to match how you hold a normal flat pick. You do have to adjust the metal thumb band to fit your finger perfectly though.
thumb_picks-0307.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
An old Earl Scruggs trick is to use an x-acto blade to score cross-hatches into the plastic surface where it contacts your thumbprint area. Keeps the pick from rotating and/or flying off your thumb mid-performance.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A thumb pick never worked for me...and I tried them all. Just didn't feel right/comfortable, and that's okay. I plan to persevere. :courage:

Joe
It’s definitely not going to be a regular thing, just for those songs where I need to switch from strummin’ to pickin’, and back. I wish I could do those fingerpicking patterns with a flatpick like Townshend, but I don’t have that precision.

ezstrummer

Reaction score
I have tried thumb picks, just cant seem to get the feel for them.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have tried thumb picks, just cant seem to get the feel for them.

yeah, me either. tried several different kinds but i kind of just prefer a big 2.0 mm pick to strum with. i am surprised light gauge strings can stand up to the task but have not broken many strings at all.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have tried to get used to thumb picks several times over the years, but it didn't work out.
I remember being very impressed watching cjd-player playing with a thumb pick;
a few months later I had some troubles with my picking thumb when I played a lot.
So I tried again and it finally worked out fine; what helped me most was sitting in front of the TV watching sportc etc. and just picking my usual patterns. It took me less than a month to get used to it.
Now I love using these Dunlop picks ...

markus :smile:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am a 99% flat picker, but I can "hybrid" pick OK. Not a fingerpicker - I'm impressed by those who are.

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am a 99% flat picker, but I can "hybrid" pick OK. Not a fingerpicker - I'm impressed by those who are.

walrus

hybrid picking must be cool. i cannot figure that one out :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm doing my fingerpicking now mostly with my bare fingers and thumb, so I'm building up those right hand calluses. Sometimes I use the thumbpick to amplify the bass line. I can't get the fingerpicks to work any more since carpal tunnel surgery. But now I've come to prefer using the bare fingers and I like being able to strum with a quick downward flick of my right hand nails. You can't do that with fingerpicks.

Last edited: