First Time Guild Owner

guitarjesus

Reaction score
First Time Guild Owner Update: Pics added more to come

Hey guys, Jeff here. I just purchased a 1974 F50. I've played on a couple and I love the feel and sound, but as this was an online purchase, is there anything to look out for in these old Guilds to make sure everything is up to snuff.

All info is appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jeff!
Your question might require a longer answer than a lot of folks have time for right now.
Before I forget, be aware that the first few new members' posts are vetted by moderators just to make sure a "spam bot" hasn't managed to sign up here, after that, all your posts will show up in real time.
I'm going to direct your attention to another current thread because a lot of the issues you're asking about are raised over there:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-D-25-Flatback&p=1793402&posted=1#post1793402
I don't think there's anything about F50's from that period that require special attention, only the normal issues of aging that bear scrutiny.
The only thing not mentioned over there is to check for loose braces.
Not knowing how well-versed you are in guitar construction, don't be embarrassed if you don't understand some of the comments like neck alignment or reset.
If there's any technical terminology you don't understand, just ask, we're here to support not snipe.
:friendly_wink:
PS many folks here LOVE pics!
And one final bit of advice:
If the finish is in really good shape (no "checking"), make sure you understand the importance of letting the guitar slowly come up to room temp before opening, if it's been in transit during really cold weather.

Last edited:

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Thank you brother, I'll take a gander at that thread. I do quite understand guitar construction methods, so I won't be confused there. I appreciate the in depth response. If all goes well with my F50, I'll be dumping my Larrivee, and picking up an F412 or F512 at some point. I had a 99 Larrivee D-03-12 that was unfortunately the DIAMOND in the rough. Never played a Larrivee 12 dread that felt or sounded that way again. This purchase was a shot in the dark but I got it CHEAP, I can always unload it for more than I paid. Just not a fan of Sapele.

Here's a link to the auction I won for the guitar. Let me know what you think. Also, I didn't pay full asking and upon looking at other pictures sent by the seller, the neckcis just settled in, not in need of a reset. I consulted with Dan Erlewine.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273081106409

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey guys, Jeff here. I just purchased a 1974 F50....

Yeah, welcome to the boards, Jeff! The F-50 is one great Guild jumbo! What did the online ad say as far as condition?

....is there anything to look out for in these old Guilds to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Neck angle. Saddle height. Basically, like any other guitar - you don't want to see any cracks in the neck!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard 😁 great score , pics we like pics hehehe .

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Ok, it's letting me post, yay! I put an ebay link in one of my posts. I got it for less than it states.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This purchase was a shot in the dark but I got it CHEAP, I can always unload it for more than I paid.

Here's a link to the auction I won for the guitar. Let me know what you think. Also, I didn't pay full asking and upon looking at other pictures sent by the seller, the neckcis just settled in, not in need of a reset. I consulted with Dan Erlewine.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273081106409

Little bit o' mojo, and if Dan E. gave his stamp of approval ya prob'ly done good!

Just not a fan of Sapele.
Not sure I follow unless you mean you just don't like what's being used in more modern guits these days?
at least several of us are inclined to agree.
I'm just kinda glad I already "got mine".
But I've got an F40 yen that can't be filled by buying new, even though given my druthers that's what I'd choose.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Not sure I follow unless you mean you just don't like what's being used in more modern guits these days?

I just mean I don't like the tonal qualities as compared to Mahogany. Supposed to be a substitute but just not the same. I know every guitar is different, but I've played tons of Larrivees that had Sapele and Mahogany, and Rosewood. While not "my thing", the latter two woods had something for me tone-wise that Sapele just didn't have.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just mean I don't like the tonal qualities as compared to Mahogany. Supposed to be a substitute but just not the same. I know every guitar is different, but I've played tons of Larrivees that had Sapele and Mahogany, and Rosewood. While not "my thing", the latter two woods had something for me tone-wise that Sapele just didn't have.

ah, right.
And you're in realtime now.
And I'm retiring for the weekend.
:friendly_wink:

guitarjesus

Reaction score
So she came today! Sound is sweet but definitely needs work. Saddle is way too low, both E strings buzz open at the first fret. Probably has belly bulge and needs a new pickguard.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
So she came today! Sound is sweet but definitely needs work. Saddle is way too low, both E strings buzz open at the first fret. Probably has belly bulge and needs a new pickguard.

Hey...congrats and glad you are pleased with the guitar. Gosh...it sure looks to me like someone had carved the top of the bridge down (as well as bottomed out the saddle) as a 'quick fix' to avoid a neck reset. Indeed it appears that their bridge and saddle manipulation would lower the action...although not in the most orthodox way. Should you wish to have some saddle (and an entire bridge)....you are going to need quite a lot of work it seems...including new bridge, new saddle and a neck reset. I know that you said that you 'bought it right' .... and photos could deceive me....but that guitar appears to need major work to me.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Oh I knew it needed work. I got quotes for resets from a few luthier techs. The pictures in the auction showed the saddle low but were fuzzy so not THAT low.

I paid less than the auction was asking because of the need for work.