correct pot and cap?

62Slimjim

Reaction score
I am the proud original owner of a 1962 T100d with Franz P-90's, in gorgeous cherry red :biggrin-new:
Over the years I've noticed that the neck pickup tone control has very little effect until it reaches the top. I haven't opened it up to look at it, but it occurs to me that it could be the wrong taper—any thoughts on that? And should it be a 250 or 500? I see elsewhere on this site that some people recommend a 500 for a Franz P-90, yet it's a single coil, no?
Also, what's the story behind Guild's configuration of the position of the volume and tone controls as compared to the standard Gibson setup, i.e.
looking down, the volume knobs are above the tone knobs as opposed to Gibson style of tone to the right of the volume? In some ways it seems the Guild setup is more logical, but it can get a little confusing if you're switching between guitars on a gig … has anybody out there tried switching them out to match the Gibson setup? Would you need to put new (longer) wiring in, or is there enough slack?
If I wanted to put humbuckers in, what would be the most logical kind?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Congrats on the guitar, I speak for the group in saying we'd like to see pictures.

Speaking for myself, why would you want to put humbuckers in that guitar? The Franz pickups are the unique heart of that instrument.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would love to see some pics as well as it sounds like a really cool guitar! As far as putting Humbuckers in it that would require a non reversible mod and with so little original Franz pickup Equipped guitars left out there it would not only be heartbreaking to have that happen but it would also kill any value the guitar has if you ever go to sell it. Regardless it is your guitar and you should do what you want to. I think it would be easier though to find a Starfire or other early 60's Guild already equipped with the original LB1 humbucker pickups or a similar guitar to yours that someone else has already cut up for standard size Humbuckers. If you find one that has already been modified the price should be much less due to that modification being performed. Just suggestions as always and look forward to hearing more about your wonderful T100D!

TX

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am the proud original owner of a 1962 T100d with Franz P-90's, in gorgeous cherry red.

Hello 62Slimjim,

The configuration of a T-100D with a Cherry finish is somewhat rare during that particular period. So far I've seen just a relatively small number of those and they were all from the same batch with serial numbers that started with # 22xxx. Is the serial number of your guitar in that range as well?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes...if you have a red T100 that is rare. With Franz pups even more hard to come by.
I have a like new late 1990 Guild Red mahogany SF2 with Seymour Duncan SD1 pickups. If you want a guitar that has humbuckers and could easily accommodate other humbuckers consider my guitar or one like it!

M

62Slimjim

Reaction score
Hello 62Slimjim,

The configuration of a T-100D with a Cherry finish is somewhat rare during that particular period. So far I've seen just a relatively small number of those and they were all from the same batch with serial numbers that started with # 22xxx. Is the serial number of your guitar in that range as well?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Yup, it's #22099 … I bought it in the UK when I was 19 or 20 years old—a friend of my father's was a saxophone-playing music store owner in Windsor (about 30 miles from London). I was walking by the store one sunny day and the light picked up the gold grain under the cherry finish—end of story, I had to have it! I saved and saved and made payments on it.
The day I went in to pick it up, the guy said "Are you sure you want it? You see that case on the floor—you can have it for the same price …"
"What's in it?" says I.
"Ah, that's the catch—you can't open it until you've paid for it and there's no going back …"
Well, the Guild was hanging there, so pretty on the wall, and I chickened out. He gave me my receipt and said "Okay, now you can take a look."
GIBSON ES5 Switchmaster with three gold humbuckers!
I often wonder how that would have turned out, but I've made a lot of good music on the Guild, so …

For a period of about ten years I stored it in the attic, through hot and cold (my bad!!)—when I finally decided to start playing it again, I couldn't believe how good it sounded. The wood had really aged nicely.
I adjusted the neck, swapped out for a better quality TOM. Just a few weeks ago I broke down and bought a set of Thomastik Swing flatwounds for it (.011 top)—wow! it really entered a whole new dimension of tone and sustain—worth the $$$.

But my real question was about the neck tone pot value and taper, and just curious as to why the Guilds are set up differently from the Gibsons—just to be distinctive, or some other logic?

I'm also lusting for an M65 Freshman 3/4 size, but that's another story involving a hard decision as to whether or not to sell my 1951 Fender 5A3 Deluxe …

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score
Go to Imgur. (free) Download them there and then use the copy function to add a link here.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To post photos here on the forum just right click on your image at imgur and copy the image address. Then paste the address in the window that comes up when you click on the picture frame icon in the tool box above the posting window. I'll post your photos for you so you everyone can see it. That looks to be in Amazing shape!

XJ6v97l.jpg
7d2rDcg.jpg

TX

Last edited:

62Slimjim

Reaction score
Thanks! Actually the headstock veneer is peeling away at one side—I understand that's pretty typical. What would be the best kind of glue for that? Also I mistakenly used silicone to lube the tuners and took some of the finish off the veneer. I was told I could maybe buff that out …
Usual buckle rash and assorted scrapes and dings, but the binding is intact everywhere.
Stock condition except for bridge (lost the top half of the original all-wood adjustable original) and installed Dunlop Straploks (de rigueur for all my guitars since my Ibanez Custom Agent took a nosedive—pretty standard for those!)
Thomastik Swing flats .011-.047, incredible strings …

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Man that's a beauty, '62!

As far as the tone is concerned on the neck PU, that's a common issue with older Franz-equipped Guilds. Some here have found caps in the wiring harness and clipped them to experiment with the frequency range. I'm pretty sure I have one on my T-100D, but I don't have the same tone suck issue. I think I may have also rewired and swapped in 200K pots for my tone pots. It's been a while since I tore it down. As you suspect, it may depend on your pot and cap values. You may want to try locating the cap and clipping one end to see how it affects the tone. I'm certain that some repeated searches on this site will dredge up past discussions about this.

Also, check out this great article by Jason Lollar that describes how they're used to filter high frequencies.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
beautiful! and rare configuration of this model and vintage (and color) Guild, as Hans and the others have stated. changing the pickups or routing the top is at this point obviously no bueno.. *Thank u for being candid and taking the time to ask the group here with no shame.* this (asking us first) is unquestionably the best decision you have made all day (probably all week). also ive only seen those guitars with single coils (usually the mickey mouse pickups though, or the "Polara/Jetstar pickup," not Franz)

I also wouldnt go too wild for a 3/4 guitar unless it was really an offer you couldnt refuse. Id recommend the 1960's SF-III with mini hums/LB-1s and the Bigsby/Guildsby, that is the one you want for the mini hums. go for the mahogany cherry one to match your Franz T-100, would be my suggestion! but there are many cool colors from the 1960s on Guilds

62Slimjim

Reaction score
I guess what I was really asking was—did the '62 T100D have all audio pots? I'm assuming switching the Tone pots to linear would address my problem … ?
And again, why does Guild lay out the volume and tone pots differently from Gibson, Ibanez, etc? Just because?

62Slimjim

Reaction score
OP here :)
on a completely different topic, the tuners for the top three strings have a fair amount of slop in them. I decided to replace them, but to my chagrin I can't find a match. They’re Grovers, most likely Sta-Tites, but as you can see in the photo I posted, the buttons are not butterbeans, more rectangular, and the screwholes are closer together than modern Sta-Tites. I would imagine them to have had a chrome finish to match the tailpiece, but it’s been a long time … :sick:
I will take some close-up pics of the back of the head and post (with measurements) in the coming days.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I will take some close-up pics of the back of the head and post (with measurements) in the coming days.
And now it is much easier posting pictures here, you can just drop them right into the message or use the little button:

1672404004366.png

Also you can adjust the size with the blue frame around the inserted pictures so they don't look so large here.

Ralf

62Slimjim

Reaction score
As you can see, the buttons are not butterbeans, the ends of the plates are the same shape as on H97's, but the screw holes are closer together, as on V98's. There's nothing similar on the Grover website.
If I installed H97's I would have to drill new holes, and if I installed V98's there might be some bare wood showing because the ends are different, plus I really like the original buttons.

Any ideas?

Alternatively, the cog wheels look kinda chewed up—is there a source for replacements?

IMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    360.2 KB · Views: 46