Incoming!!!! 1971 D-25 Flatback

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Had a sixties D-25 spruce-top for a long time. A true pal! Now have a seventies D-35, and it's just like old times.

HI Charlie, I got a suspicion your memory's just a bit off, and trust me I'm sympathetic.
But D25's didn't get spruce tops until about '74, maybe late '73.
B-U-U-U-T... the D-35 which was introduced at the same time as the '25 in '68 got a spruce top.
Just realized, possible you got the model numbers reversed in your post?
:friendly_wink:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
HI Charlie, I got a suspicion your memory's just a bit off, and trust me I'm sympathetic.
But D25's didn't get spruce tops until about '74, maybe late '73.
B-U-U-U-T... the D-35 which was introduced at the same time as the '25 in '68 got a spruce top.
Just realized, possible you got the model numbers reversed in your post?
:friendly_wink:

and from my own experience of having once owned a D25 flatback and a D35, the ONLY difference at all, is the top. Very similar sounding dreads with the D35 being a tad louder and a touch clearer, as spruce should be, so no surprises there.

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Score! I've been dreaming of a cherry-finished, mahogany-topped, flat-backed D25 for a long time.

Neal

Reaction score
As an owner of a '71 D-25 flatback and a '73 D-35, I can tell you that they are identical, except for the top. And could not be more different in tone.

The D-25 is raw, powerful and loud. The D-35 sounds more refined, elegant and a bit quieter.

BTW, my '71 BR is dark brown. Not even close to orange.

beecee

Reaction score

The D-25 is raw, powerful and loud. The D-35 sounds more refined, elegant and a bit quieter.

I would not have thought that. I've listened to WW tracks and thought it more of a mellow sort. Time will tell again!

Mine is on the truck for delivery to the Syracuse GC this morning. It's in the high 30's, was in low 30's overnight but has been in the warehouse. I CAN wait for tomorrow to pick it up.

Talk me out of going there today:)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I would not have thought that. I've listened to WW tracks and thought it more of a mellow sort. Time will tell again!

Mine is on the truck for delivery to the Syracuse GC this morning. It's in the high 30's, was in low 30's overnight but has been in the warehouse. I CAN wait for tomorrow to pick it up.

Talk me out of going there today:)

Yeah, my take on the tone of both is opposite to Neal's, but then again, sound is so subjective. My D35, which I sold years ago, I remember being louder and clearer than the D25. I think I even did a sound clip comparing the two...https://youtu.be/4Pg6brldHVo

sorry the progression is not longer, but it is the same on both. I preferred the D35, but ended up keeping the D25 as it was more versatile due to its fingerstyle ability too, and the darkness of the tone. Most days, I think I made the right decision, but some days, I wish I still had the D35 and D50. Ah well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
BTW, my '71 BR is dark brown. Not even close to orange.

Just because it's almost a running joke between you'n me'n Mavuser'n Westerlywood by now, do you think WW's might be considerably lightened up by UV exposure, as in a lot of time in the sun?
I don't remember if I've posited that before, although I think I've mentioned my suspicion it could be Cherry that was also UV overexposed.
Both of your labels are missing, so there's no way to be sure about his, IIRC?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my take on the tone of both is opposite to Neal's

as is mine, does not sound like his D-25 has a mahogany top, or he has them mixed up. or...who knows, simply the "unexplainable." the mahogany top should be more warm and mellow, old timey though, definitely not as loud and projecting as a solid spruce top

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
as is mine, does not sound like his D-25 has a mahogany top,
It's a '71, wouldn't have anything else, b-u-u-u-t....isn't his D35 the notorious rescue-guitar known as "Gloppy"?
Which required extensive finish surgery before being able to enjoy a normal retirement out to pasture?
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?187410-NGD-Gloppy-the-Totally-Abused-D-35/page3
Suspect that may have a bit to do with it.
Sadly, Photof-ckit has condemned all of Neal's carefully harbored pics to purgatory.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee,

Just FYI, I can't tell if it's the picture or not, but it looks like there might be some separation at the base of the neck heel. Better have a close look at that when you get it (I'm sure you will).

Best o' luck!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sawheet gueet... my first Guild love too! If it's all good with the neck where it should be, you will like it. Best of luck with it!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a '71, wouldn't have anything else, b-u-u-u-t....isn't his D35 the notorious rescue-guitar known as "Gloppy"?
Which required extensive finish surgery before being able to enjoy a normal retirement out to pasture?
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?187410-NGD-Gloppy-the-Totally-Abused-D-35/page3
Suspect that may have a bit to do with it.
Sadly, Photof-ckit has condemned all of Neal's carefully harbored pics to purgatory.

well, Neal did salvage ole Galoppy, but his first Guild was a '73 D35 (might be wrong re year), and that one is in great shape as far as I know. I think for a time and might still have 2 D35s...

beecee

Reaction score
Luckily I have 2 more meetings out of the office this afternoon and can't go pick it up till tomorrow.

So it will be temperate..

I remember that gloppy thread!! Fun read

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
well, Neal did salvage ole Galoppy, but his first Guild was a '73 D35 (might be wrong re year), and that one is in great shape as far as I know. I think for a time and might still have 2 D35s...

Aha! Very relevant and a good "save" to clarify what he may have meant.

beecee

Reaction score
beecee,

Just FYI, I can't tell if it's the picture or not, but it looks like there might be some separation at the base of the neck heel. Better have a close look at that when you get it (I'm sure you will).

Best o' luck!

I mentioned earlier the guy at GC said it was polish.

We'll find out around 11 this morning!

beecee

Reaction score
hSZgoLQ.jpg
[/IMG]
jEKf6MX.jpg
[/IMG]
uMtwrPd.jpg
[/IMG][img]h

Ok, Took a ton of pix.

Neck is spot on with 18" steel ruler.

new strings, feel like bridge cables

crack around neck heel. Small crack at sound hole same side between fret board and sound hole. Did I mention neck is spot on with great action?

I'll post a few more as I forgot what I've uploaded so far

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hSZgoLQ.jpg
[/IMG]
jEKf6MX.jpg
[/IMG]
uMtwrPd.jpg
[/IMG][img]h

Ok, Took a ton of pix.

Neck is spot on with 18" steel ruler.

new strings, feel like bridge cables

crack around neck heel. Small crack at sound hole same side between fret board and sound hole. Did I mention neck is spot on with great action?

I'll post a few more as I forgot what I've uploaded so far[/QUOTE]

congrats! most likely medium gauge srings. heel looks fine, mine is kind of like that too. lacquer peeling

beecee

Reaction score
zz5Swu9.jpg
[/IMG]
8bPrHoH.jpg
[/IMG]
Ta4w7Cz.jpg
[/IMG]

bridge work
TysXctY.jpg
[/IMG]