Incoming!!!! 1971 D-25 Flatback

beecee

Reaction score
Goodness I need to stay off the computer in the wee hours. I have no self control

But at least I know how to post pix now!!

Pulled trigger on this one at 3:42 a.m. from Guitar Center.Was already in shipping by the time I had a chance to call the store but he had pix as he thought his brother would like it.

Did not have label info, said it played well and was in pretty good shape for a 71.

k3llF3i.jpg
[/IMG]
PVDIRGi.jpg
[/IMG]
2mmcJnK.jpg
[/IMG]
eh6IKgw.jpg
[/IMG].

The waaaaaiiiting is the hardest part

Are these spruce or hog topped??

Either way, I would like a D-25 and after seeing/playing the D25 BR I really wanted one for myself.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Are these spruce or hog topped??
Either way, I would like a D-25 and after seeing/playing the D25 BR I really wanted one for myself.

'71's are definitely 'hog topped, but wondering if that might actually be Cherry?
Cherry and Brown can look very similar under different lighting conditions, but the lower "full frontal" shot looks to have a distinctly reddish tinge on my tube..
Did you get the model number from the label?

beecee

Reaction score
It was already packed up in shipping so he did not have it.

Here is what the title said: Vintage 1971 Guild Bluegrass D-25 Cherry Acoustic Guitar

geoguy

Reaction score
Congrats, I hope that purchase proves to be a good one for you.

Be sure to check carefully for cracks in the top, near the soundhole & end of the fretboard. Hopefully I'm mistaken, but your third photo suggests to me that the neck block may have moved.

beecee

Reaction score
I asked about that he said it was an over abundance of polish from previous owner, looked like same on the pickguard but not as bad Time will tell.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here is what the title said: Vintage 1971 Guild Bluegrass D-25 Cherry Acoustic Guitar
Ah, so it probably does say "D25CH" on label
I asked about that he said it was an over abundance of polish from previous owner, looked like same on the pickguard but not as bad Time will tell.
Hmmmm..never heard of that before** but have heard of what Geoguy mentioned, and if the neck block has moved then there would be cracks on both sides of the fretboard running to the soundhole, and the edge of the soundhole would be displaced too.
**Don't want to "dis" the GC employee but we know they've got a pretty high rate of ignorance especially about vintage guitars, so I'm kind of skeptical about that explanation even if offered in good faith.
"Extra polish" ought wipe right off, for one thing.
Still, hope it turns out ok!
We're pulling for ya!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting top hue, that looks great! Congrats on finding such a gem, these old flatback all hog Guild dreads. In Han's book, I think at one point in time they had the designation of D25 Bluegrass. I might be mis-remembering, my then 1 year old pretty much ate that book :)

I like light gauge strings on it and they seem to respond well to Phosphor Bronze, but every ear is different. Medium gauge strings work well too and really help to drive the top if you can stand the tension on the fingers. My guess is they left the factory with Meds on...

but really interesting top color/stain. very red.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In Han's book, I think at one point in time they had the designation of D25 Bluegrass.
Yes, technically "Bluegrass D25" when introduced.

I might be mis-remembering, my then 1 year old pretty much ate that book :)]
And you didn't rush her right down to get her stomach pumped?
Yeesh those books're scarce enough as it is.
:glee:
(yeah I do remember that story but didn't know whether your D25 page was left intact or not).

but really interesting top color/stain. very red.
Think it's from being over 'hog but also think it'd be a lot "prettier" in proper sunlight.
Florescent light's notorious for doing all kinds of bad things to color photos.
I would have believed it was an actual Brown if it had been presented as such.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Think it's from being over 'hog but also think it'd be a lot "prettier" in proper sunlight.
Florescent light's notorious for doing all kinds of bad things to color photos.
I would have believed it was an actual Brown if it had been presented as such.

Just compared to mine and Mav's (both of his), the top hue on ours is really orangey-brown. In direct sunlight, mine has a lot of orange. I nearly wish I had replaced the PG when it fell off mid strum that hot texas summer day while playing on outside bench with a black guard, black looks smart to me against brown orange. ah well. that guard is like locked on their now, the adhesive so strong.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
congrats and enjoy! welcome to the club! looks like you got a Cherry red one. I believe the label will say the entire word "cherry," like others i have seen from right around this time. cheers!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Goodness I need to stay off the computer in the wee hours. I have no self control

But at least I know how to post pix now!!

Pulled trigger on this one at 3:42 a.m. from Guitar Center.Was already in shipping by the time I had a chance to call the store but he had pix as he thought his brother would like it.

Did not have label info, said it played well and was in pretty good shape for a 71.

You just might thank yourself for your insomnia in this case. Looks pretty good to me....but you're going to find out....and at $20 shipping and 45 day return policy....no fears whatsoever. You made a good 'buy' here given what little information you had....I hope that it pans out. Birth year guitar for me....i'd have been tempted.

beecee

Reaction score
I really had no intention of buying any guitars this year....now I have 2 more.

I've always been interested in owning one thanks to reading Westerly Woods's saga(s) with his. And then whoa, there was the BR sitting next to the 12'er I just bought. I sold my 80's D-25 SB a few months back, didn't really miss it as I've been bonding so well with the D-40 but an all hog dred is special to me.

One thing for sure, now that I know how I'll post tons of pictures of the neck area when it arrives.

Temps dropping from 70 to low 30's by weekend, the dreaded acclimation period will only add to the apprehension!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome score , I’d like a all hog model one day .

Look forward to delivery day ;)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've always been interested in owning one thanks to reading Westerly Woods's saga(s) with his.

"Sagas" is a really good description of my relationship to the Br, knowing full well the issue is mostly with me and not so much with the old poor Guild dread.

:)

Happy for you, looking forward to the NGD post and your take on the tone of this rather rare Guild dread. And I agree with Al re string choice to try, EJ16s, just cannot go wrong. I think another on the LTG strings his D25 all hog flatback with Martin Monels. I plan to give the Tony Rice mediums a go...someday.

I do think most will encourage waiting 24 hrs before opening the box, especially if your Br is travelling thru big climate changes...

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Beecee! Looking forward to your impressions once it is in your hands.

TX

beecee

Reaction score
"Sagas" is a really good description of my relationship to the Br, knowing full well the issue is mostly with me and not so much with the old poor Guild dread.

:)

Happy for you, looking forward to the NGD post and your take on the tone of this rather rare Guild dread. And I agree with Al re string choice to try, EJ16s, just cannot go wrong. I think another on the LTG strings his D25 all hog flatback with Martin Monels. I plan to give the Tony Rice mediums a go...someday.

I do think most will encourage waiting 24 hrs before opening the box, especially if your Br is travelling thru big climate changes...

I have a set of the Monels from a year or so ago based on a thread here when the went on sale.

https://blog.martinguitar.com/hs-fs...18721225811&width=600&height=684&name=611.jpg

Between that and the opposite end of the spectrum (412) I have some work ahead of me :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i use Martin Retro Monel 11s on mine and at times John Pearse 550SL 11s as well. they sound the same, the JPs feel a little better but the Martins last about six times longer.